RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 6:50 PM

Default GMRS Licensing questions

Can somebody please post a direct link to the FCC application page and any related online account setup info that I need. Google is normally my friend, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding these.

Also, I know that for Ham licenses, the user's address is public knowledge. Is that also the case for the GRMS license that doesn't require a test?

Also, once the application is submitted, how long does it take to get approved? What is the processódo you get a card in the mail or via email?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2018, 7:13 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Hi dragon48, check out this page from the Arizona GMRS Repeater Club which details exactly how to apply for and obtain your GMRS license, including all the links to the necessary FCC pages.

AGRC - Getting Your GMRS License

Let me know if that doesn't answer everything you need to know to apply for and obtain a GMRS license. You are

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon48 View Post
Also, I know that for Ham licenses, the user's address is public knowledge. Is that also the case for the GRMS license that doesn't require a test?
Yes, your address will be publicly searchable/viewable. One option is to use a PO Box. See my license - WRAA720.

Quote:
Also, once the application is submitted, how long does it take to get approved? What is the process—do you get a card in the mail or via email?
This can vary, mine took about 2 weeks, and I've heard it taking as quickly as a day and as long as 4 weeks. Check back daily with your FCC Universal Licensing System account. You will likely see it available there before you receive any mailed confirmation. You will be able to download and print all the authorization documents.

var radioList = new List<Radio>();

Last edited by call_sign_null; 08-07-2018 at 7:39 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 7:18 PM

Thanks
Old 08-07-2018, 7:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Can somebody please post a direct link to the FCC application page and any related online account setup info that I need. Google is normally my friend, but for some reason, I'm having a hard time finding these.

Also, once the application is submitted, how long does it take to get approved? What is the processódo you get a card in the mail or via email?

Thanks
Step 1 - obtain an FRN from here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
Step 2 - apply for license using "online filing" here: FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS): ULS Home
Step 3 - pay the fee and get your license no later than the next day

Found this using google: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support...rsal-licensing

You will not get anything via mail. Check your FRN to see what license is approved and print it out. All your information will be public.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:43 PM

I applied Saturday, received early AM Tuesday via email.
Sponsored links
Old 08-09-2018, 5:01 PM

I do the PO Box thing - specifically for my license
Old 08-09-2018, 9:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
I do the PO Box thing - specifically for my license
I initially did that because I own quite a few web domains and have to list an address on them and 1 box is cheaper than privacy for the domains. I also got a google voice account for them too.