RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2018, 3:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
One might want to check BlueMax49ers on Ebay. He's an amateur radio operator and many of us have had success finding relatively inexpensive programming cables through him. The last one I purchased was a USB programming cable for our Motorola M1225 radios. It works great.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/bluemax49ers
Looks good, but what is the software cost? Hmm...a review of that eBay page advises that he provides a link to the software. Is this software normally free? That would be nice.
Old 09-25-2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
Looks good, but what is the software cost?
I don't know. I was not aware of him as a software source, only a cable source.

He's a straight forward person so I doubt that he charges for software that is not his.
Old 10-01-2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant View Post
How much would it cost to program one of the radios offered by these brands, presuming the end user does not have software or cables? Can the power be adjusted as well to comply to FCC specs?
In most cases when you find one on the bay the seller will offer free programming or a small fee for programming. If I find one I want, if the seller won't program it for free chance are I don't buy it.

I like many, after being in the radio business for years, have the software and programming cables for most radio from the past, but even if I don't, there are many around this globe that do. Joining a FB group or a group on here for a particular radio model will enhance your options of getting most radios programmed.

I have bought many used radios for use on GMRS over the past years for as little as $25.00 a piece.,Some even included shipping, that was in first class condition, are type accepted, with 25-110 watt (adjustable) RF out, and still in use today. Many I've bought were easily made into repeaters with little to no real cost for doing so.

Just don't wait too long to obtain one as they are selling as fast as they are listed. Soon there won't be any of the good old used radios left to be had. For instance, one of the best sought after used radios on the market for years were the GE Master II and the Motorola Micor trunk mount 110 watt radios. Many were made available when narrow banding came about. Now if you see one one of those models, it's probably been worked on so much it's not worth having. So like I say, don't wait too long to seek one out.