• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Midland GXT1000 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl66

I purchased 3 of these radios for a fishing trip in Canada. They are mainly going to be used if one of us has boat problems or something.
I don't know anything about GMRS except what I've read recently. From what I read I don't need a license to use these in Canada.
My question is, Which channels are the GMRS channels?
The instructions say channels 8-14 are low power FRS channels. I assume all the others are GMRS?
The frequency chart list frequencies up to channel 22, but the radio goes up to 50, are the channels above 22 all usable channels?
Thanks for any help.

nd5y

Channels 8-14 are the 467 MHz channels that are restricted to 1/2 watt by FCC rules.
Channels 1-7 and 15-22 are 2 watts.
Channels 22-50 are probably the same as the what is listed here. That link also has a link to the Canadian FRS/GMRS rules.
Look up the manual for that radio model on Midland's web site to be sure. It should have a list of channels and frequencies.

nightowl66

Look up the manual for that radio model on Midland's web site to be sure. It should have a list of channels and frequencies.

Thanks, I have the manual and it lists the frequencies up to 22, but channels 23-50 are blank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that the distance these radios can be used at is mostly limited by line of sight and obstructions. From a boat to shore with no obstacles, you may be able to go up to around 5-6 miles.
Line Of Sight Calculator

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I would bet being Midland radios the ones that don't list the frequencies are just frs and gmrs channels with different tones. The "extra" channels.... with big finger quotes around extra.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Most of these questions can be answered right on their website:

https://midlandusa.com/product/gxt1000vp4/

They explain what the extra channels are.
I can't find the frequencies and codes for the 28 extra channels (23-50) on Midland's website. It is not in the product manual, product specifications or FAQ sections on this website. Three people asked about the extra channels but they only received the following partial answers:
"These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones."
"The channels are already pre-programmed. If you would like more information please call our customer service department at (816) 241-8500 (M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT)."
"The extra channels give you more options in case of overcrowdedness of other channels."

I believe the 28 extra channel frequencies and codes are shown in the "Midland Extra Channels" section on this site:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Attachments

• Midland GMRS Extra Channels.jpg
    Midland GMRS Extra Channels.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 279

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I can't find the frequencies and codes for the 28 extra channels (23-50) on Midland's website. It is not in the product manual, product specifications or FAQ sections on this website. Three people asked about the extra channels but they only received the following partial answers:
"These extra channels are simply existing FRS/GMRS frequencies with hard coded tones."
"The channels are already pre-programmed. If you would like more information please call our customer service department at (816) 241-8500 (M-F, 8am-4:30pm CT)."
"The extra channels give you more options in case of overcrowdedness of other channels."

I believe the 28 extra channel frequencies and codes are shown in the "Midland Extra Channels" section on this site:
https://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/FRS/GMRS_combined_channel_chart

Yep that's them for sure.

nd5y

The information in the wiki article originally came from owners manuals on Midland's web site. They must have removed the "extra channels" from the manuals for some reason.

nightowl66

Thanks for all the replies, I tested them out by driving down the road from my house out the country, got 5 1/2 miles away stood in the bed of my truck and was still able to talk. They should work for what we need on the water.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nightowl66

I used these radios on our trip and they worked good. The only problem was I should have put them on the charger every night. I had a spare pack for each radio. All 3 radios had low battery flashing on the 2nd day so I switched to the spare charged packs and charged them every night. The only problem was not being able to recharge the dead packs since the packs have to be in the radios to charge.
Is there a way to charge the packs outside the radios? Midland instructions say they have to be in the radio, but I'm sure something could be made to charge outside the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.