RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > GMRS / FRS

GMRS / FRS - Discussions related to GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) and FRS (Family Radio Service) communications

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0iop View Post
The micromobiles are also sold under the Luiton brand, only in a field programmable rather than GMRS form, for much less money.
I did not know that. I'm going to have to check them out. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0iop View Post
I went through the Midland web site a couple of weeks ago and no, they don't seem to have updated their FRS offerings for 2 watts.

I don't think we'll see much product line updating until the existing stock of combined FRS/GMRS combination radios is depleted.
Yeah, that's likely the situation. Hopefully, we get some interesting offerings.
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2018, 5:38 PM

EDIT: I think that I found it... "LUITON LT-590 UHF 45W/25W/10W Two-Way Radio Mobile Transceiver"

n0iop, I looked and am not finding it on the Luiton website. Do you have a model number to search the web for?

Last edited by Hans13; 10-18-2018 at 6:00 PM..
Old 10-18-2018, 6:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcahuete View Post
I have no idea what higher quality GMRS handhelds cost these days, but you might want to try DTR radios. You won't find anybody there and they are crystal clear digital. They are 900 MHz. I use them for boat to shore all the time, without any problem.

As far as congestion on GMRS, unless you are at a big event or on a cruise ship or such, there should be plenty of free real estate as far as channels are concerned. GMRS is definitely busier than MURS.
X2 about DTR radios.

I still have GMRS/FRS as a backup and for interoperability with other GMRS and FRS users. I also have MURS. What's changed for me is these are no longer my default go-to modes for my local on-site simplex type activities with family and friends. I moved my activities to 900MHz using Motorola DTR and DLR series digital on-site business radios. They work excellent and are higher quality and more professional than GMRS/FRS and MURS.

Given the current state of affairs with GMRS/FRS and MURS, I'm done. Operating 100% digital on 900MHz with Motorola DTR and DLR radios has been working out far better for my use.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk
GMRS [ZA] = KAE9013 (12/1992)
Old 10-18-2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans13 View Post
I think the lack of appropriately certified, new production, quality handhelds is hurting FRS, GMRS, and MURS.
MURS option:
https://www.ritron.com/PTSeries-Ritron-2-Way-Radios Ritron PT-150M My brother in law is using a bunch of these for his tower crews. Good solid radios.

I think the issue is most users want something less expensive.
Old 10-18-2018, 7:09 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

[ crossposted that it's the LT-590 UHF ]

For GMRS, if I were just an ignorant fella I'd get commercial radios and program them. I figure that's not a good move since I'm, how shall we say, old enough to know better.

Last edited by n0iop; 10-18-2018 at 7:14 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 10-18-2018, 7:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
It would be nice to have an alternative in between the $29 toys and the $189 commercial market radios.

$189 isn't so bad until you buy 5 of them so you have enough to share, since the whole point of GMRS/FRS/MURS (for me anyway) is that I can communicate with people who are not themselves amateurs.
Old 10-18-2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
MURS option:
https://www.ritron.com/PTSeries-Ritron-2-Way-Radios Ritron PT-150M My brother in law is using a bunch of these for his tower crews. Good solid radios.

I forgot about that one and yes many, myself included, want something not quite so expensive. One site had the PT-150M for $299.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 PM

Having played around with his PT-150M's, it's a pretty fair price. I know, a bit much for many users, but they seem to be pretty durable.

Or start searching for used ones.

Programming software is free, not that there is much to program. Compared to some of the big name radios, that'll save you $150 or more by not having to buy their software.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Programming software is free, not that there is much to program. Compared to some of the big name radios, that'll save you $150 or more by not having to buy their software.
Man, it seems like we've had this same conversation before but my CRS makes it difficult to be sure. lol

That's often one of the most confusing and frustrating parts of buying these more expensive radios; knowing if free programming software is available and what can be programmed. By offering the software for free and keeping the radio programmable does add value to the Ritron for me.
Old 10-19-2018, 7:40 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC4RAF View Post
I use the MURS green dot freq. (154.600 MHz) quite a lot and find that there's not too much traffic on it.
Go near a Wal Mart or a Sams club and you may find them there.
Old 11-16-2018, 6:23 PM

Default Murs would be a good idea

i would recemend Btech Murs-v1 it works with all the ham accessories you can change the antennas.
they are very nice. BUT i live and use them out in the country where there are not many people. so if you in in the city there might be a lot more traffic.
i use the Btech murs-v1 is great radio because the feature are nice and i know they are quality because i doped the same one at least 50 times i spilled 33.8 fl oz of mountain dew on it. and last night it snowed 1.5 feat it it got cover with snow an soaked and it still works great.