• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

464.1125mhz????

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX5812

I’ve acquired quite a few Motorola ht-90’s which all work and all hold a charge. Ch 1 is on 464.1125 receive and 469.1125 tx. Ch 2 is 464.1125 simplex. I’ve looked at the GMRS list and can not find this frequency. What license would I need to legally talk on these radios?

WX5812

Thank you for the reply. That’s a bummer because they all work and were free. They are also wide band which I believe they have to be narrow nowadays.

K2RNI

Yeah but nothing will actually happen if you do. Businesses do that all the time. I use old uhf radios on commercial frequencies of the expired license the previous business had them on. nice and clear all day.

WPXS472

HT90's are a crystal controlled radio. You would have to buy crystals for them, which would likely be much more than the radios are worth. Especially since they are not narrow band. Great radios, though. Back in the day, it was a good day when someone dumped a box full on my bench to repair. Most of the time, it was a bad BNC antenna connector. And yes, I actually enjoyed repairing those. I remember ordering crystals from Motorola and they came with a temperature compensating capacitor that had to be changed as well.

needairtime

As a ham, we all tell people who are aspiring to be hams to "not push the PTT" when one's not licensed yet.

In this situation the same still applies, this is a commercial band frequency that was assigned to someone else, and while it still "works" perfectly fine, you're not licensed to use it and thus are against FCC rules and regulations, no different than amateur bands.

Agreed that likely nobody will bother you because each frequency is not constantly in use. However as a wideband, you could be interfering with more than one licensed user.

While I don't have a HT-90, I have another non PLL-synthesized ham radio that I'm trying to design/build a crystal eliminator for. As a ham targeting in the amateur bands, this is okay for experimentation and learning. However such homemade device is not legal for use in the GMRS/MURS/CB/... bands as the whole system needs to be type approved. As an additional food for thought, even if you get a crystal that locks these into the GMRS bands it's still illegal (though nobody may notice...) if it wasn't part 95 GMRS approved by the FCC.

All in all, if you aren't interested in hacking and building crystal eliminators and be restricted to the ham bands, agreed, these non PLL-synthesized radios are probably not worth anything these days and probably should be relegated to a museum... or destroyed if you can't obtain a license to use them :(

CaptDan

It's a business band frequency - depending on where you are located there may or may not be a lot of use. In Miami Florida there are about 100 hundred businesses licensed to use that frequency. My guess is most are low power like the McDonalds drive thru's

Is it legal for you to use, nah, but This is another situation where you won't have a problem until you do

ecps92

++1 :cool:
As a ham, we all tell people who are aspiring to be hams to "not push the PTT" when one's not licensed yet.

In this situation the same still applies, this is a commercial band frequency that was assigned to someone else, and while it still "works" perfectly fine, you're not licensed to use it and thus are against FCC rules and regulations, no different than amateur bands.

Agreed that likely nobody will bother you because each frequency is not constantly in use. However as a wideband, you could be interfering with more than one licensed user.

While I don't have a HT-90, I have another non PLL-synthesized ham radio that I'm trying to design/build a crystal eliminator for. As a ham targeting in the amateur bands, this is okay for experimentation and learning. However such homemade device is not legal for use in the GMRS/MURS/CB/... bands as the whole system needs to be type approved. As an additional food for thought, even if you get a crystal that locks these into the GMRS bands it's still illegal (though nobody may notice...) if it wasn't part 95 GMRS approved by the FCC.

All in all, if you aren't interested in hacking and building crystal eliminators and be restricted to the ham bands, agreed, these non PLL-synthesized radios are probably not worth anything these days and probably should be relegated to a museum... or destroyed if you can't obtain a license to use them :(

Golay

I agree

Yeah but nothing will actually happen if you do. Businesses do that all the time. I use old uhf radios on commercial frequencies of the expired license the previous business had them on. nice and clear all day.

I agree with Pro-91. Just use them.
Sure we will get the usual RR lawyers on here saying "It's illegal, It's immoral, You'll shoot your eye out"
And yea, sure if you're somebody interfering with public safety, or on the ham bands swearing, then it's not quite a good idea.

But has anyone ever actually heard of the FCC coming down on some low power handhelds that couldn't get a mile apart before they couldn't hear each other? Especially using a UHF business splinter freq. Just use them.

D

DaveNF2G

The FCC is complaint driven. If a licensed user files a complaint, then maybe the FCC will expend some resources to track it down. I would bet that they also consider the potential size of any forfeiture and the likelihood of collecting it. Kids on unlicensed radios are probably not considered to be very lucrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.