• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

"Cheap Midland GMRS Radios"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tripp2k

Hi,
I'm new here. I recently got my GMRS license and I picked up a couple of Midland GXT1000vp4s. I've seen the quote in the subject at least twice here and I'm wondering if the Midlands I purchased fall into this category.

What GMRS radios would you recommend for meeting the full spec for GMRS if my Midlands don't?

Thanks!

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Most who are really serious about GMRS will not be big fans of any of the "blister pack radios" that you can buy hanging on the racks at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc. They'll be info using commercial gear (i.e. "professional" radios) instead so that they can use the higher power, etc., that is allowed. That is likely what the quote/comment stems from.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Welcome, Tripp,

Question would be "What do you need?"
If the Midlands do what you need them to do, then don't be concerned what others think about them. Midland makes decent radios for this market, and I wouldn't consider them "cheap".

Usually the "cheap" is attached to - "…Chinese radio" around here. Usually referring to the very low end Chinese radios you can find on e-Bay and Amazon for $15.00.

If you are looking for more, then as Mark said,
There are some commercial UHF radios that have the FCC part 95A certifications necessary to be fully legal to use on GMRS. They'll give you more capability, more RF output power, better receivers, more options, etc.
The drawback to those is that you cannot -legally- use them on the FRS only frequencies.

But, back when I was active on GMRS, I owned a mix of Icom, Kenwood and Motorola UHF radios.
Many of the commercial/professional UHF hand held radios will run closer to 4 or 5 watts.

-However, don't get hung up on RF output power. Changing from 2 watts to 4 watts does NOT double the range.-

The big benefit to the commercial radios is that you can change the antennas out, or even add an external antenna. That will have a bigger impact on performance than just increasing RF power.

Also…
You can use mobile radios. Using a mobile radio allows you to connect the power directly to the vehicle battery, and most importantly, get the antenna OUTSIDE the vehicle. A decent mobile radios with a properly installed external antenna will give you a big improvement in performance. The louder audio and larger speakers make a big difference, too.
I ran Icom 35 watt mobiles for years with a permanent mount 1/4 wave UHF antenna on the roof of my truck. In open areas, I could easily communicate 15 miles or more between vehicles.

In addition to all this, you can program them for a lot more features than the consumer grade stuff. If you have any GMRS repeaters in your area, you can contact the repeater owner and see if the repeater is "open" to other licensed users. A well situated repeater can improve your coverage drastically.

tripp2k

Thank you both! These Midlands should get me by for the time being. Studying up for my Tech ticket over the holidays. Wish me luck and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.

When you get your amateur radio license, you could program some of the 70 centimeter band amateur radio frequencies into the commercial UHF radios and use the radios for both GMRS and Amateur radio.

I did that with mine. GMRS for talking to non-amateur family members. 70 centimeters for the amateur stuff.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I did that with mine. GMRS for talking to non-amateur family members. 70 centimeters for the amateur stuff.

Ditto here. I bought a pair of 'cheapie' Midlands just to use with my wife at flea markets, malls, if we convoy somewhere, cruise ships. etc. They come in REAL handy on a cruise ship. Tried to get her interested in getting her ticket but no-go. I think these little Midlands are fine radios for what I need them for. They are good for about a mile give or take. I don't care what anybody says about them, I like them!

JD
kf4anc

Hans13

then don't be concerned what others think about them. Midland makes decent radios for this market, and I wouldn't consider them "cheap".

Usually the "cheap" is attached to - "…Chinese radio" around here. Usually referring to the very low end Chinese radios you can find on e-Bay and Amazon for $15.00.

The Midland Micromobiles are literally rebranded China radios with locked down firmware and a Part 95 sticker.

Essentially, they are CCRs without the lower price and greater functionality. It's less for more with a sticker.

Last edited:

Hans13

Welcome to GMRS and RR, tripp2k.

You will want to also check out MyGMRS.com. There is a repeater directory and a forum. Between RR and MyGMRS, there is a wealth of information and interaction.

Hans13

I was confused by the answer in your post because it didn't have the last sentence until I hit "Quote". Forum strangeness is afoot! :D

Yeah, that is the point... there are no FRS only channels anymore as far as I can tell. If the Part 95 radio will do the bandwidth and the power limitation, GMRS and FRS can use the same channels except that FRS cannot use the repeater inputs. The limitation is now on FRS and not on GMRS.

Hans13

When you get your amateur radio license, you could program some of the 70 centimeter band amateur radio frequencies into the commercial UHF radios and use the radios for both GMRS and Amateur radio.

Yep. That's been the most useful way for family and friends here. Instead of having a mixture of radios, it's nice to have some standardization in a group. Amateur operators have their extra frequencies and GMRS only operators have their channels so everyone can communicate somewhere on the dial. Also, we can discuss some business stuff on GMRS channels.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I was confused by the answer in your post because it didn't have the last sentence until I hit "Quote". Forum strangeness is afoot! :D

Yeah, that is the point... there are no FRS only channels anymore as far as I can tell. If the Part 95 radio will do the bandwidth and the power limitation, GMRS and FRS can use the same channels except that FRS cannot use the repeater inputs. The limitation is now on FRS and not on GMRS.

Good point. My mind reverted to the "old" rules.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The Midland Micromobiles are literally rebranded China radios with locked down firmware and a Part 95 sticker.

Essentially, they are CCRs without the lower price and greater functionality. It's less for more with a sticker.

The important part is the "locked down", also they tend to have real FCC certifications.
I'd rather have a decent consumer GMRS radio than the low end CCR's any day. I've used a few of them, and I'm not impressed.

Hans13

The important part is the "locked down", also they tend to have real FCC certifications.
I'd rather have a decent consumer GMRS radio than the low end CCR's any day. I've used a few of them, and I'm not impressed.

I agree about the "locked down" part. Unfortunately, Midland seemed to go above and beyond to cripple the radios beyond what was necessary for Part 95 certification.

I think you missed the point that these are, in fact, CCRs. I'm not particularly fond of typical CCR quality either. These might be consumer radios but I wouldn't call them any more decent than the identical China models. Midland has functions locked down, too far IMHO, and a sticker but the performance aspects of the signal is the same. They are all CCRs but the price differences are incredible.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree about the "locked down" part. Unfortunately, Midland seemed to go above and beyond to cripple the radios beyond what was necessary for Part 95 certification.

I think you missed the point that these are, in fact, CCRs. I'm not particularly fond of typical CCR quality either. These might be consumer radios but I wouldn't call them any more decent than the identical China models. Midland has functions locked down, too far IMHO, and a sticker but the performance aspects of the signal is the same. They are all CCRs but the price differences are incredible.

No, I get what you mean.
What I was saying was that when you usually see "Cheap Chinese Radios" on this website, it's usually referring to the BaoFeng type radios, not the consumer grade stuff.

I agree, the FRS/GMRS -> GMRS radios are pretty low spec.
But at least they can't be easily hacked to work on your local PD channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.