PSR-800 Scanner not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1JCW

I am a new owner of a 800.

I am running XP SP3 or Win 7. The scanner is not recognized device. I uninstalled the device and the software even the latest 1.3 and still the scanner is not seen.

Suggestions ??

I just phoned GRE and they want me to return the scanner.

Has anyone seen this issue and if so what was the fix ?

Thanks

IowaGuy1603

I am running XP SP3 or Win 7. The scanner is not recognized device. I uninstalled the device and the software even the latest 1.3 and still the scanner is not seen.

Suggestions ??

Thanks

Mine works great with both Vista and Windows 7

W1JCW

Are you able to try it on another computer?

I have tried my scanner on a working LT and with my USB cable. Scanner is not seen.

I tried a friends scanner on my loaded LT and his is seen fine.

So there is an issue with the hardware the PSR-800.

exportdawg

Suggestions ??

Thanks

Did you have the Scanner Off when you connected it to the PC? IF not, you could have corrupted the SD Card. Try this, turn the scanner off, Connect the USB to computer, and connect other end of USB to the TURNED OFF Scanner.while pressing the Menu on the scanner at the same Time. See if that does anything (Go to software and see if the update see's it when you update firmware.) Other than that, got nothing...Sorry

W1JCW

Did you have the Scanner Off when you connected it to the PC? IF not, you could have corrupted the SD Card. Try this, turn the scanner off, Connect the USB to computer, and connect other end of USB to the TURNED OFF Scanner.while pressing the Menu on the scanner at the same Time. See if that does anything (Go to software and see if the update see's it when you update firmware.) Other than that, got nothing...Sorry

I have previously tried that as well...

Thanks

Are you using the 2GB microSD card that came with 800? I applied the latest updates and everything is fine with the 2GB. I then wanted to try and see if I could get a couple of other cards working, an 8 gig, class 4 Kingston and an 8 gig, class 4 Verbatim. Whenever I attempt to use those cards, Windows 7 reports the USB device as unrecognizable. But going back to the 2GB card, it works okay. Before the updates, Win 7 had no problem recognizing the 800 with the 8GB cards. But I could never get the 800 to turn on with them installed. Also, try this: unplug the USB cable. Remove and replace one of the batteries. Then reboot your compter. Then connect the USB cable. (It's a long shot, but it won't hurt to try).

W1JCW

Are you using the 2GB microSD card that came with 800? I applied the latest updates and everything is fine with the 2GB. I then wanted to try and see if I could get a couple of other cards working, an 8 gig, class 4 Kingston and an 8 gig, class 4 Verbatim. Whenever I attempt to use those cards, Windows 7 reports the USB device as unrecognizable. But going back to the 2GB card, it works okay. Before the updates, Win 7 had no problem recognizing the 800 with the 8GB cards. But I could never get the 800 to turn on with them installed. Also, try this: unplug the USB cable. Remove and replace one of the batteries. Then reboot your compter. Then connect the USB cable. (It's a long shot, but it won't hurt to try).

Using the original MSD card.

Tried what you suggested with the cable as well.

Sorry to hear of your problem. In re-reading your original post, it appears that your 800 has never been recognized by the computer(s). Is that that correct? If so, it probably is a defective unit. I hope you have it repaired, as opposed to returning it for a refund. It is a great scanner.

W1JCW

Sorry to hear of your problem. In re-reading your original post, it appears that your 800 has never been recognized by the computer(s). Is that that correct? If so, it probably is a defective unit. I hope you have it repaired, as opposed to returning it for a refund. It is a great scanner.

You are correct in that it has NEVER been recognized by a computer.

I had to ask for a call tag from GRE as I don't feel that I should have to pay for shipping and insurance
as I consider it DOA.

The sent me an RMA and have contacted Fed Ex for pick up at my home.
I knew once I asked for what I wanted we would come to an agreement.

A friend has the same unit which worked out great as we could test the usb cable and if the software
was installed and ports worked for an issue before sending in the 800.

W1JCW

Replacement

I received my New replacement for the DOA 800 and all is fine.

I have it sync'd up and working great.

It was a DOA unit as it would not comm with any PC.

Thanks GRE for the prompt replacement.

dtscho

Database Admin
I know this is an old thread, but Windows 7 is not recognizing my PSR-800 when I connect it with the USB cable. It pops up the "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

Some background: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. The PSR-800 was recognized in Windows 7 on my previous computer, so I don't think there's a problem with the micro SD card or the USB cable. I also tried hooking up the scanner on my wife's Windows 7 computer, and it recognized it. I did make sure the micro SD card was properly seated (it's the 2 GB card that's included with the scanner).

Anyone have ideas? Windows doesn't provide many options when it doesn't recognize the device...

Thanks,
Dave

Uninstall the Device(the 800)
shut down,restart,plug in the scanner,
see if your devmngr sees it,,you may need
to reinstall the driver set..probably one for the
device,and one to set up the port for it..

dtscho

Database Admin
Thanks for the reply. I can't uninstall the device, because it's not installed now. The computer doesn't recognize it.

As for a driver, the PSR-800 doesn't come with one. You're supposed to be able to hook up the scanner, and Windows takes care of configuring the device.

Thanks,
Dave

captncarp

Psr-800 not recognized

I have this problem also....800 not recognized. I tried it on two different Windows 7 and a XP and tried using two different USB cords. All I have managed to do after a half dozen e-mails back and forth with GRE is lock up the CPU so now just to shut off the 800 I have to take a battry out.
Have the same problem with GRE-700 although the CPU on that one has not locked up.

You're supposed to be able to hook up the scanner, and Windows takes care of configuring the device.
/QUOTE]

if i had a dollar for every device that was Supposed to be plug n play with windows...id have several psr 800s in my stable..

the disk that has the ezsan software...also has the drivers/driver info..

read the INF file...all devices have drivers man!...

try instaling/reinstalling the software...

; Microchip Composite Device MSD+CDC
; This driver is required only by the CDC part of a composite device.
; The MSD part does not require any driver.
;
;
; Copyright (c) 2000 Microsoft Corporation
; Copyright (C) 2007 Microchip Technology Inc.
; Copyright (c) 2010 General Research of Electronics

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=Ports
ClassGuid={4D36E978-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%MFGNAME%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
CatalogFile=%MFGFILENAME%.cat
DriverVer=11/15/2007,5.1.2600.0

[Manufacturer]
%MFGNAME%=DeviceList, NTamd64

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=12

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Windows 2000/XP/Vista-32bit Sections

[DriverInstall.nt]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=DriverCopyFiles.nt
AddReg=DriverInstall.nt.AddReg

[DriverCopyFiles.nt]
usbser.sys,,,0x20

[DriverInstall.nt.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[DriverInstall.nt.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService.nt

[DriverService.nt]
DisplayName=%SERVICE%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys

; Vista-64bit Sections

[DriverInstall.NTamd64]
include=mdmcpq.inf
CopyFiles=DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64
AddReg=DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg

[DriverCopyFiles.NTamd64]
%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys,,,0x20

[DriverInstall.NTamd64.AddReg]
HKR,,DevLoader,,*ntkern
HKR,,NTMPDriver,,%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys
HKR,,EnumPropPages32,,"MsPorts.dll,SerialPortPropPageProvider"

[DriverInstall.NTamd64.Services]
AddService=usbser, 0x00000002, DriverService.NTamd64

[DriverService.NTamd64]
DisplayName=%SERVICE%
ServiceType=1
StartType=3
ErrorControl=1
ServiceBinary=%12%\%DRIVERFILENAME%.sys

; Vendor and Product ID Definitions
; When developing your USB device, the VID and PID used in the PC side
; application program and the firmware on the microcontroller must match.
; Modify the below line to use your VID and PID. Use the format as shown below.
; Note: One INF file can be used for multiple devices with different VID and PIDs.
; For each supported device, append ",USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy" to the end of the line.
[SourceDisksFiles]
[SourceDisksNames]
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_0C97&PID_0008&MI_01

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_0C97&PID_0008&MI_01

; String Definitions
;Modify these strings to customize your device
[Strings]
MFGFILENAME="mchpcdc"
DRIVERFILENAME ="usbser"
MFGNAME="GRECOM"
INSTDISK="GRECOM Installation Disc"
DESCRIPTION="GRECOM PSR-800 Serial Device
SERVICE="USB RS-232 Emulation Driver"

Last edited:

dtscho

Database Admin
I did try uninstalling/reinstalling the software; that didn't work. I also saw the INF file, and tried to get Windows to use it, but that didn't work either.

I opened a GRE support ticket yesterday; we'll see what comes of that.

Thanks,
Dave

SquierStrat

The OPs issue does sound like a defective scanner. however there is a setting in windows that allows windows to connect to the internet to search for drivers whenever a new device is plugged in. I was having the same issue with another device at one time, because i wasnt allowing windows to connect and search... it MIGHT have been "windows updates" that i had disabled, but dont quote me on that one. I honestly dont remember how i changed the setting...

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I know this is an old thread, but Windows 7 is not recognizing my PSR-800 when I connect it with the USB cable. It pops up the "USB Device Not Recognized" message.

Some background: I recently bought a new computer and installed Windows 7 on it. The PSR-800 was recognized in Windows 7 on my previous computer, so I don't think there's a problem with the micro SD card or the USB cable. I also tried hooking up the scanner on my wife's Windows 7 computer, and it recognized it. I did make sure the micro SD card was properly seated (it's the 2 GB card that's included with the scanner).

Anyone have ideas? Windows doesn't provide many options when it doesn't recognize the device...

Thanks,

Dave

I've had this happen with my 800 also.
It happens even when the scanner is working fine and has been talking to a Win 7 64 bit computer.
I'll go to hook it up for a database update and I get the bonk sound telling me Win7 did not recognize the device even though it did yesterday or earlier the same day!

I tried removing the driver and reinstalling but no help.
What I found the did work for me and has worked every single time since I discovered my fix was to remove the batteries and pop out the Micro SD card and reinsert it and the batteries. It then works fine. Sometimes for months.

I later found that I did not even need to remove the batteries. Simply removing and inserting the SD card solves my problem.

I figure the socket loses connection with the card somehow and reinserting it, cleans up the contacts and then it works.

What is weird is the scanner will still work fine and also read and write to the card even though the scanner will not talk to the computer.

I bet I've needed to do this dozens of times since purchasing the 800.
And no, I don't yank batteries or the card while the scanner is on which can corrupt the data on the card. I also never let the scanner btteries get so low that is shuts down from low voltage. I actually set my voltage level so the radio powers down safely well above the point where it would shutdown due to low voltage. I only made that change after finding this problem to see if maybe that would fix it but it made no difference.

Reinserting the Micro SD card is the only way I can restore comms with the computer when I have the problem. When it happens, it will also not recognize on other computers until I reseat the card.

Many people use external card readers so that may be why this issue is not reported more. Those that use external card readers would be reseating their cards with each database update. I myself rarely use an external card reader and just update the database with the card in the radio.

Some fear using an external card reader will cause excessive wear on the card slot contacts but maybe that is actually better as it may keep the contacts cleaner.
While fixing another issue which required opening up the radio, I did check and make sure my card slot connector was soldered correctly and it was so who knows unless I have a faulty card slot or its just poor quality.

So next time it does this, make sure the radio is off and then reseat the card and see if it is then recognized by the computer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.