PSR-800 installation virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Got my PSR-800 today and when I went to install the application software, my McAfee popped up with a trojan alert on file W32/rimecud.gen.az . It wanted me to restart my computer so it can qurantine it. I havn't used my CD drive in at least a year so i'm not sure if it was something activated when I put the CD in or if it was a file on the GRECom CD.

I looked up the file on McAfee and it appears it is a new trojan included in yesterdays update. Was just curious if anyone else had this issue? I havn't restarted my computer yet to see what happens.

Jason

bush_man

software Virus??

It did the same thing for me, both the disk and the updated program from GRE website, thinking antivirus is just confused, well hoping so anyways.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Yah i'm hoping so also, it's very possible that whoever burnt the CD's at GRE had this trojan on their computer. The definition said that this is spread by removable media like CD's and the source alert on installation said E://ezscan something or other. GREAmerica gonna be in some trouble if it messes my computer up LOL.

Jason

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Hey Bush man, how did you get around the trojan alert? I went ahead with the install but my McAfee always auto removes the trojan thus making the program not work.

Jason

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Alright, after further investigation, it looks like this is a false alert in McAfee. The techs in the McAfee forum have been getting multiple reports today from other businesses with software. They said it would be corrected in the next Virus DAT release today or tomorrow.

Jason

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Alright, just updated my McAfee DAT to the newest release and that has fixed the problem. Appears to be just a 1 day problem from their release yesterday.

Jason

troymail

Silent Key
Had the same problem - tried to restore the quarantined files but McAfee almost instantly reported it as a Trojan again (even though I thought the McAfee restore said it would no longer check trusted/restored files!!!!).

Then decided to see if any McAfee updates were available -- they were - and once downloaded, I restored again and things seem to be better now.

Funny - when the software first disappeared I thought I had a virus that was deleting my files - strange to find out the the virus protection software I had "was" that virus (ok, not really - but it gives that appearance!)

K

kb0nly

Dump McAfee and get a better AV. I always recommend Avast these days, or even the free AVG is better than McAfee. You probably wouldn't believe how many new Dell computers i see that shipped with McAfee only to get infected in a month or two, though McAfee thinks everything is perfectly fine and the computer is slowed to a crawl. Installing Avast usually clears it right up and nukes the baddies that McAfee let in.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
Yah usually McAfee has been pretty reliable for me. Wife and I tried that free Avast about 8 years ago after our Norton expired and we had a serious virus within 2 weeks. We had to do a system restore and went to McAfee after that, we havn't had a virus since then. McAfee took care of this false alert pretty quickly today though.

Jason

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
You probably wouldn't believe how many new Dell computers i see that shipped with McAfee only to get infected in a month or two, though McAfee thinks everything is perfectly fine and the computer is slowed to a crawl.

Agree - that bloatware (McAfee, Norton, etc.) is the first thing un-installed when I set up a new computer.

SCPD

QRT
I couldn't stand the fact that with McAfee I WASN'T in control of my own computer. It would delete files as it saw fit without any override feature. GOOD BYE FOREVER! (Sorry for off topic)

IowaGuy1603

I couldn't stand the fact that with McAfee I WASN'T in control of my own computer. It would delete files as it saw fit without any override feature. GOOD BYE FOREVER! (Sorry for off topic)

I have been liking McAfee.............until this experience. You are correct...I couldn't find a way to get the scanner program "out of jail" like you can with other programs. AVG for me.

K

kb0nly

I ran AVG for five years, never a virus on five household computers. Then about two years ago i switched to Avast because its had better user support, more people submitting stuff and participating in development, etc. I still have yet to get a virus and i'm on the web day and night daily working, browsing, swapping files with people to work on, etc.. Never a problem.

K

kb0nly

Agree - that bloatware (McAfee, Norton, etc.) is the first thing un-installed when I set up a new computer.

Bloatware is right... I had one person come to me with a new Dell laptop, she was wondering why it was so slow since she got the fastest processor and most memory she could. Dumped McAfee and put on Avast, she was like wow i have a new computer all over again and its FAST... LOL

VegasMike

Premium Subscriber
Regarding anti virus software.

Just a few things.
Antivirus software is basically useless simply because of two reasons.
1. It's much funner to make virus's than catch viruses.
2. Anti Virus Software Developers Take a long time to identify Virus Trends And Create Virus Profiles
So they have generic virus behavioral algorithms that they believe will detect virus like behavior and in the process of finding "potential threats" making the user feel as though the product they purchase is doing something thus purchasing a subscription renewal.
99.99 percent of the time they catch nothing except non-legit threats causing file corruption and owner confusion.

Remember without viruses antivirus software would be even more useless than it already is.
keep your OS up to date, firewall active, internet connection encrypted and unistall that problematic softwares.

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
You want a good antivirus for WIndows try Microsoft Security Essentials. Works very well with the GRE program and everything else. It's free and works very well with out unnecessary nag screens.

SCPD

QRT
You want a good antivirus for WIndows try Microsoft Security Essentials. Works very well with the GRE program and everything else. It's free and works very well with out unnecessary nag screens.
I was going to recommend that too. It also doesn't bog down your system AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.