New GRE PSR-500 and now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
I hate to say this but I am at a loss here with this new scanner. I have two Unidens: a BCD996XT and a BCT15X and had no trouble importing the RadioReference database for my county using Freescan. Freescan was simple to use and when finished the Uniden scanners just took right off and started scanning and receiving.

I decided I wanted a handheld unit too so I bought the PSR-500 as I read that it is supposed to be more sensitive. I use a wide band Larsen in the attic for the Unidens but want to rely only on the small antenna that comes with the handheld for portability around the house.

This PSR-500, it just sits there with the "Press NEW to create objects" on the screen and and the NEW EDIT GLOB over the soft keys. I thought I imported the Conventional and Trunked RR database for my county using WIN500 but when I press SCAN I get "Nothing enabled." I installed the USB drivers for the GRE programming cable and the PC is communicating with the scanner and it appeared that I had a successful upload of the database. I know this makes me look kinda like an idiot but what do I do next?

Ken

puzzleriddle

You need get to get software for the PSR500 I suggest PSREdit500 , All the3 software packages have a free 30 day trial then $35.00 to register :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Win500 requires user to select a scanlist at import from RR.

Go to All Objects Tab, highlight the TGRP Objects and select a scanlist on right side of page.

Then highlight all CONV Object and select a scanlist.

In General Settings Tab Enter an alpha tag for both list. Click the list you wish to start scanning. Save and send to scanner.
I thought I imported the Conventional and Trunked RR database for my county using WIN500 but when I press SCAN I get "Nothing enabled." Ken

You need get to get software for the PSR500 I suggest PSREdit500 , All the3 software packages have a free 30 day trial then $35.00 to register :)

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
fmon:
I did those things as you suggested but I still get the message "nothing to scan." I have the easier to read manual. Shouldn't have to be this difficult. The Uniden with Freescan was a breeze.

N8IAA

fmon:
I did those things as you suggested but I still get the message "nothing to scan." I have the easier to read manual. Shouldn't have to be this difficult. The Uniden with Freescan was a breeze.

Do you have any of the ScanLists enabled? It should show numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0 on the line under scanning. If you have . . . . . . . . . . showing, you haven't enabled your Scanlists. Press the number keys 1-0 to start scanning. Or, maybe just press Scan:) Look in your file and see if you have TG's assigned to a scanlist. All trunked and conventional default to scanlist 1. You need to save whatever you have imported and name the file.
HTH,
Larry

kenn_moses

Premium Subscriber
"Tried again, conventional on scanlist 1, trunked on scanlist 2. Upload and got "Nothing enabled." This is friggin rediculous. Should not be this difficult. Getting frustrated.

freqhunter

Premium Subscriber
PM your email to me and what system you want. I will create it and email it to you.

I assure you it does work. You are missing something.

I'm wondering if there is any data in the scanner. I.E. - do a "transfer data from the radio to the software" operation and you should see what is in the scanner. If nothing appears, you would need to start over and once the data in the software looks good, continue by transferring data in the software to the scanner. I know I'm guessing at this, but the PSR-500 is a great radio and once you get through this part of the software's operation, you will be on your way.

SCPD

QRT
Yes .. sorry I misread what he said. My bad.

I have no experience with Win500 software .. as I use PSREDIT. I think it is excellent software but of course he is free to use whatever he wants.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Yes .. sorry I misread what he said. My bad.

I have no experience with Win500 software .. as I use PSREDIT. I think it is excellent software but of course he is free to use whatever he wants.
And Win500 is excelent also.

Highpockets

On the General Settings Tab in Win500, over on the left the box with 1 to 20 with scan lists in it, that where you name your scan lists. Then make sure the box to the right of the scan list is checked (it will turn black) then it's enabled. When you upload your file, those scan lists will be active when you turn the scanner on.

eyes00only

I have had many of both and will agree the GRE's are harder to learn
but WAY WORTH IT! The PSR 500 is my favorite and I paid top dollar when it came
out. I like Win500. The import from RR is really hard. I don't do it enough to offer expert
advise. My problem is that it always wants to download the entire HUGE Colorado DTRS
system and then you need to pick the towers (not an easy task), the counties, systems,
etc. Hang in there and I promise you will love the scanner.

JK

josev

i'll be you even though he hit upload to scanner it didn't upload my 600 at time starts uploading then error message and i have to hit upload again

Status
Not open for further replies.