GRE PSR-800 Issue with GE Trunked Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickBW

I am having a problem with my PSR-800 scanner. I have several trucked radio system around me in the San Francisco Bay area and so far I haven't had much of a problem scanning the motorola systems, but with a General Electric trunked system I am having issues with the scanner.

What happens is that scanning a GE trunked system like Oakland Police Dept, the scanner will appear to be working and all of a sudden stop scanning, like there is a broadcast over the radio, but instead of hear a voice over the radio I get a loud noise like it is the raw control feed. The scanner will remain on the channel with the control feed continuing forever, until I push the scan butten again for it to move off of the channel. Now the scanner will do this with about every channel for Oakland PD and it isn't all the time but it does happen frequently and drives me nuts. I have adjusted the SQ up and down, with no change.

Does anyone have a similar problem or know what I might be doing wrong, or is there a glitch in the software for the scanner that it won't always understand the control feed?

Thank you,
Patrick
patri80853@aol.com

rwier

I am having a problem with my PSR-800 scanner. I have several trucked radio system around me in the San Francisco Bay area and so far I haven't had much of a problem scanning the motorola systems, but with a General Electric trunked system I am having issues with the scanner.

What happens is that scanning a GE trunked system like Oakland Police Dept, the scanner will appear to be working and all of a sudden stop scanning, like there is a broadcast over the radio, but instead of hear a voice over the radio I get a loud noise like it is the raw control feed. The scanner will remain on the channel with the control feed continuing forever, until I push the scan butten again for it to move off of the channel. Now the scanner will do this with about every channel for Oakland PD and it isn't all the time but it does happen frequently and drives me nuts. I have adjusted the SQ up and down, with no change.

Does anyone have a similar problem or know what I might be doing wrong, or is there a glitch in the software for the scanner that it won't always understand the control feed?

Thank you,
Patrick
patri80853@aol.com

Hi Patrick,

I am in Maricopa County, AZ. I just checked the RR Database for Trunked Systems in Arizona

Arizona Trunking Systems

with the idea to experiment with an 800, even if it was a system that would not normally attract my interest. I can not find a reference at the above site to "GE". Would you check that site and confirm that no Trunked Systems in Arizona are of the type related to your question? Maybe it might be called something else?

Rob

PatrickBW

Sorry...The Oakland Ca City radio system is manufactured by General Electric (GE) and it is an EDAC system that I am trying to monitor with the scanner, but I am running into the problem of hear what I think is databurst rather then voice over the channels.

n5ims

It sounds like you're listening to this system (Oakland/Piedmont EDACS Trunking System, Oakland, California - Scanner Frequencies). They're using EDACS Trunking (EDACS - The RadioReference Wiki) from Harris (who now owns what used to be GE's Two-Way Radio division). According to the RR Database for that system, they use both standard analog (which you can pick up) as well as AEGIS digital (which no current scanner models can receive) (AEGIS - The RadioReference Wiki).

What's probably happening is the transmissions that are causing you issues are ones that use this digital mode. Since the scanner isn't able to recognize that mode it probably gets confused, causing the symptoms you see.

nu4c

Patrick
I monitor an EDACS system here in FL. No problems like you have, but I did read in software HELP that the 800 can be programmed to ignore encrypted transmissions.
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.