made my GRE-800 a mobile scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.
well it works great in the car was tired of it eating batteries at home or keeping power to it to monitor.i was looking to buy the GRE-900 one day or maybe just buy one more GRE-800 keep one in the car as a mobile unit.

bigsky109

I use my 800 in my car with it's antenna. Works pretty good and reception is fine.

power and antenna

i found a old cell phone cig plug thats the same type from T-mobile on it also found a black berry house charger type 5v dc 0.5a i'm useing a regular mobile scanner antenna i was useing a motorola 800mhz antenna but was not working so i did change the antenna and it works great.so check cell phone shops for the power cords it does work make sure not to go over 6v dc.

antenna

thats a cool magmount mine are 3\4 hole mounts on my car i did put new coax on the scanner antenna today so i know it will work my coax was over 3 years old i like to keep them from getting old or hard cables.

bigsky109

I just use the rechargeable batteries to power mine. They seem to last about 12 or so hours unless I turn up the volume to MAX.

IowaGuy1603

thats a cool magmount mine are 3\4 hole mounts on my car i did put new coax on the scanner antenna today so i know it will work my coax was over 3 years old i like to keep them from getting old or hard cables.

The coax is about the thickness of the usb cable that comes with the scanner

It works great just close the car door on the coax ............No drill.............no routing cables.

I have enough drilled holes and heavier coax run through the car for the transmitting
radios

yea i know i have a maxtrac 33mhz lowband fire radio,UHF XTL-5000 UHF,2m\440 yaesu FT-90 don't have room for anaymore i would love to own the new GRE-900 when it comes out but for now the GRE-800 is going to work for now.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
At least you don't have the problem I'm having with my new 6,700lb 10' long `new toy' and trying to figure out how to come up with a `mount' of some kind *and* dealing with a 6V *positive* electrical system to try and power my PSR800! {GRIMACE!}

I just picked up a 1960 Ford 861 tractor today and while I *could* convert it over to a 12V negative system it, otherwise, works/runs quite well with the original 6V positive system and I don't, at least for now, forsee making the conversion since I don't think I'll be needing a `mobile antenna'. But, I would sure like to hear about any sort of `adapter' I could use to provide the necessary USB 5V power so that I don't have to depend upon the scanner's batteries all the time.

Yeah... I can hear you all wondering just *why* one would want to even try to listen to a scanner while on a tractor. I figure that a pair of `hearing protector' headphones with an external audio souce connector will both help me keep what little hearing I currently may still have and listening to my local `authoritities' is a lot more `interesting'/`entertaining' than what one finds on `commercial' AM/FM radio these days. {VB GRIN!} I can also program in our farm's 2-way freqs and be able to hear when SWMBO `hollers' at me and then use my HT to reply if necessary.

I already have pretty much gone to using my PSR-800 as a mobile in pretty much everything else `mobile' and it seems that getting around to using it on my new/`used' tractor kinda fits in? I get to listen *and* not have to worry about someone stealing it because they've seen it as I can easily take it with me and remove the opportunity from them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

bigsky109 said:
I just use the rechargeable batteries to power mine. They seem to last about 12 or so hours unless I turn up the volume to MAX.

Any reason you are not using an amplified external speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.