PSR-500 - any way to 'hold' on a specific control channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

Is there a way to 'hold' on a specific control channel if you are scanning a list of control channels (multi-site)?

I know you can press 'pause' on a talkgroup and it will hold on the talkgroup, but what about control channel?

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Is there a way to 'hold' on a specific control channel if you are scanning a list of control channels (multi-site)?

I know you can press 'pause' on a talkgroup and it will hold on the talkgroup, but what about control channel?

You are talking about holding on a CC so that you can `analyze' it? (Either via the scanner itself or with something like PRO96com software? [With whatever software you may be using you'll have to use whatever command it asks for to start receiving data from the scanner.])

If that is what you are asking then it goes like this:

1A: If you are already listening to a Talkgroup just press the F2 key under `TSYS' and go to step 2:
1B: Press the `Manual' key.
2: Look at the display and you'll see `Analyz' above the F# key.
3: Press the F3 key.
(If it isn't the CC you are interested in then press the Up or Dn `Arrow' on the `5-way' pad and it will either `advance' [Numericly] w/ the Dn `Arrow' or `decline' [Numericly] w/ the Up `Arrow')
4: To return to scanning just press the `Scan' key.

The `left' & `Right' Arrows will move you through the `scanlists' and then you can do the previous keystrokes to `analyze' the CCs in those scanlists that have `TSYSes'.

Hope that helps?

dizwiz

No, purpose for holding is because scanner is also scanning a weaker, further away site that I am not intersted on.

Hi/lo threshold settings don't work well enough to block out the weak site, even when a closer site is the better choice.

I am different than most scanner usrs here in that I scan mostly when I am mobile driving across ohio.

dizwiz

Try a threshold hi setting of 99 and a threshold lo setting of 94 and see if that helps.

Shawn

Doesn't help. I went in to see what I had it set at and I have low set at 95 and high at 99.

If someone could please answer if its possible to hold on a control channel id appreciate it thanks

N8IAA

If you are trying to hold on a CC to hear TGID's, it's not going to work. All you will hear is the buzz of the data being received. The ATT is the only thing I can think of to block the weaker site.
Larry

dizwiz

If you are trying to hold on a CC to hear TGID's, it's not going to work. All you will hear is the buzz of the data being received. The ATT is the only thing I can think of to block the weaker site.
Larry

The ATT doesnt work well enough either.

Either the weak site still comes thru, or the 'correct' site for the area Im traveling in gets affected negatively by the ATT (voice breaks up).

Rescue1

+1 on the separate system...

I have a similar issue except opposite. I mostly scan a smartzone system, and have a site less than a mile from my house. This site however has virtually no activity on it and does not re broadcast, so I made a separate system and left out that control channel on it so it will lock onto the next closest tower site which carries a lot more traffic. Seems to work fine, and I don't have to waste system resources by using my work radio to have the local site re broadcast the other talkgroups no native to the others...Good luck man..:)

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

He's trying to listen to one site that shares a control channel with another site that he isn't interested in. If the threshold settings and ATT don't help, the only other idea would be a directional antenna, but that won't work while mobile.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

One more idea, if you're using a mobile antenna, switch to something LESS efficient, so that it won't pick up the distant site so well. If you're already only using the stock rubber duck, well, I don't know then. Good luck.

PeoriaOEM

Feed Provider
There isn't an easy way to do this unfortunately. I know exactly what you're trying to do. If you're primarily mobile in the same areas you can set up your scan lists so each one has the same talk groups, with different talk systems (and different CCs). I wish there was an easy way as well since I like to monitor a local simulcast system since it contains more traffic than the next non-simulcast tower, but occasionally the distortion is so bad depending where I'm located, that it would be convenient to lock it out temporarily.

ScannerSK

The only thing that seems to come close to your request is pausing on a wildcard. The only catch is the scanner will not hold on a specific control channel while paused on a wildcard unless the multi-site mode is set to stationary. In multi-site roam mode, the scanner will still change control channels while paused on a talkgroup.

The drawback is all activity on that control channel will be heard however it is one way to hold on a specific control channel when the scanner is set up in the multi-site mode to scan "a list of control channels".

Shawn

dizwiz

One more idea, if you're using a mobile antenna, switch to something LESS efficient, so that it won't pick up the distant site so well. If you're already only using the stock rubber duck, well, I don't know then. Good luck.

yes, ive tried this before and it does work. I can unplug my mobile antenna and plug in the basic stock rubber duck. That does filter out the weak, distant sites that Im not interested in.

Only problem is then I miss out on VHF / UHF signals. Like everything else, a catch 22.

When mobile, Im using a larsen tri-band on an NMO mount on the roof of my truck.
Works awesome for VHF and UHF. Doesnt make much different for 800 MHz system (well other than pulling in weak distant sites that it cant decode well).

dizwiz

The only thing that seems to come close to your request is pausing on a wildcard. The only catch is the scanner will not hold on a specific control channel while paused on a wildcard unless the multi-site mode is set to stationary. In multi-site roam mode, the scanner will still change control channels while paused on a talkgroup.

The drawback is all activity on that control channel will be heard however it is one way to hold on a specific control channel when the scanner is set up in the multi-site mode to scan "a list of control channels".

Shawn

Shawn,

Ive always thought the PSR500's scanner's ability to follow a TG - as it jumps from one CC to another CC is an amazing feature.

Definitely not a draw-back!

But I can try to switch off multi-site mode to see if that helps towards what I am trying to accomplish.

I would just put the CC's in the most common areas I travel in a separate bank. One bank per CC. However, then I lose the TG list alphatags. There are prob over 1000 of them for OHIO MARCS and it would require too much memory.

I only have enough memory to put MARCS TG's into one bank for one TSYS ID.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You could also make use of the V-Folders. Set each of them up with two or more sites that would be far enough away to never be active at the same time, and load each configuration as needed as you move around.

This is where Uniden's DMA has a big advantage, being able to share the same TG list among up to 250 different sites, without duplicating memory. That's not a sales pitch for Uniden (I own a PSR-410), just a fact. It's a bit frustrating that with the GRE you have to duplicate all the TG's if you want to add additional standalone sites, rather than use multi-site mode.

dizwiz

You could also make use of the V-Folders. Set each of them up with two or more sites that would be far enough away to never be active at the same time, and load each configuration as needed as you move around.

This is where Uniden's DMA has a big advantage, being able to share the same TG list among up to 250 different sites, without duplicating memory. That's not a sales pitch for Uniden (I own a PSR-410), just a fact. It's a bit frustrating that with the GRE you have to duplicate all the TG's if you want to add additional standalone sites, rather than use multi-site mode.

I'm already making use of the v folders. I've got ohio marcs system split into 7 v- folders as it is.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I'm already making use of the v folders. I've got ohio marcs system split into 7 v- folders as it is.

That sounds excessively detailed. You could create a scan list that is the TSYS of just tower, and the TGRPs in that immediate area, that you want to listen to on that tower. (I have done that, for two counties. I associated TGRPs for the given county only on the tower in that county.)

Status
Not open for further replies.