PSR-800 Pros/Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzebra008

I am a newbie to the newer digital and trunking scanners. Just got an old outdated Bearcat and want to upgrade. This is one reason why the PSR-800 attracts me as it looks easy to program for someone that has never programmed trunking systems and all the digital stuff.

With that said what do you like/dislike about the PSR-800?
To those that own it...would you re-buy it now that you have owned it for a while - why and why not?
Should I look elsewhere?
How hard is it to use without the traditional keypad of a portable?

Thank you so much for your help,it is appreciated.

mke65

Great scanner

Get the 800 you will be disappointed

Having the ability to update channels by zip or city is a huge convenience

Also love the record option

pirate6955

Premium Subscriber
i think he means wont be disappointed ;-)
if you listening to trunked stuff its probably the way to go.
i would buy another in a heartbeat.

orpcat

Premium Subscriber
Pros:
Can navigate in darkness without backlight on keyboard
Able to record a single talkgroup or any number of talkgroups.
Able to carry the entire RR database with you!
Able to alpha tag radio ids
Able to program 200 V-Scanner files (Very Cool!)
200 scanlists
20 scansets (any combination of scanlists)
Very sensitive on 800 mhz (great if you are in a rural area or away from cell towers)
Small case
Nice display
Nice belt clip
700mhz

Cons:
Lack of keyboard ( I don't miss it unless I am mobile and would like to enable/disable scanlists)
Too sensitive on 800mhz ( not good if you live close to cell towers)
No remote control (This is a big mistake! What are you thinking GRE!)
Can be confusing to program if you are new to scanners
Can be confusing to program if you have extensive experience with scanners
There is a learning curve! Once you get it no problem.
LCD display screen can easily scratch.
Paint rub off problems on some scanners
No volume control (I don't miss it until I want to turn the volume quickly)

GRE is very responsive for any problems, and will work with you until the problem is solved. I am keeping mine it is my favorite scanner.

I have been scanning for about 30 years, and have owned all types of scanners.

BoboPinky

Pros:
Can navigate in darkness without backlight on keyboard
Able to record a single talkgroup or any number of talkgroups.
Able to carry the entire RR database with you!
Able to alpha tag radio ids
Able to program 200 V-Scanner files (Very Cool!)
200 scanlists
20 scansets (any combination of scanlists)
Very sensitive on 800 mhz (great if you are in a rural area or away from cell towers)
Small case
Nice display
Nice belt clip
700mhz

Cons:
Lack of keyboard ( I don't miss it unless I am mobile and would like to enable/disable scanlists)
Too sensitive on 800mhz ( not good if you live close to cell towers)
No remote control (This is a big mistake! What are you thinking GRE!)
Can be confusing to program if you are new to scanners
Can be confusing to program if you have extensive experience with scanners
There is a learning curve! Once you get it no problem.
LCD display screen can easily scratch.
Paint rub off problems on some scanners
No volume control (I don't miss it until I want to turn the volume quickly)

GRE is very responsive for any problems, and will work with you until the problem is solved. I am keeping mine it is my favorite scanner.

I have been scanning for about 30 years, and have owned all types of scanners.

I agree with all of the "Cons". No Vol knob is just stupid. The SQL knob should be the Vol, and the SQL where the Vol is.

Belt clip? Well, it is "nice", but it is too light duty, I broke my first one after only 3 weeks.

GRE Responsive? Well, yes, but it took me 3 calls and 6 emails (I was told my message got lost... got lost more than once?) to get my replacement faceplate. The "paint" was coming off after less than two weeks.

Software is good, but does have a few quirks.

For good or bad, there really isn't any other choice out there that does what this scanner does, so you are sort of stuck. I really like mine, but it is not perfect.

whooey

Add to the con list: Display is impossible to read without backlight on, unless it's in full sunlight at the perfect angle. Big con.

W8DEC

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've owned mine since February 2011. I listen to it everyday. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
A con for me is over-loading when I connect to a external (outside) antenna, the scanner gets eaisly overloaded and you have to turn on the ATT to get it to pickup mostly anything.

I do sometimes wish there was a keyboard or just a menu selection that would allow me to use the for way rocker in a "VFO" mode. But you can enter freqs through the limit search feature, so not all is lost.

A big pro for me is the Spectrum Sweeper. I get way more hits on the PSR-800 vs my Uniden (well known). For instance, standing next to 2 military aircraft, the PSR-800 locked on to their Air - Air freq and my Uniden BC125AT found nothing.

The other pro for me is the ability to record, it's fantastic! Also the recorder works in the "search" and spectrum sweeper mode, which means, I can conceal the radio, go anywhere and not even have to be listening to it to identify freqs because everything is being recorded, this for me is the best feature.

The multi site trunking seems to blow my Uniden out of the water and the P25 audio I think is really good compared to the Uniden.

The more I use this radio, the more I think it's the best handheld on the market and I wish I could of had one 20 years ago.

Another pro is that for me, it looks unlike any other scanner out there. It almost feels like I have some exotic prototype radio that no one else has when I hold it. The screen can be hard to read sometimes, but it's a really nice big screen. If I had to get rid of all my radios and keep just one, the PSR-800 would be it.

I also like the software for the most part, it can be a little slow at times, but it's not bad considering it comes from the manufacturer.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I bought the GRE PSR 800 and within about 2 months I sold it. The first reason is that the scanner hogs up the battery life. I also bought an 80 dollar battery charger with Powerex batteries and it still ate up the batteries. I also had to set the voltage in the scanner and it kind of helped.

Also above it says you cant read the display unless the light is on is true. There are alot of good features but it was not for me.

I sold it and bought the GRE Radio Shack PRO 106 and love it. I can program it the way I want it and the display is awesome. Also using the powerex batteries I can leave it running for over 24 hours and it does not go dead. Its the way a scanner should be.

No scanner for almost 500 dollars should not go dead in 2 to 4 hrs. Also the PSR 800 did not come with batteries or a power charger. I think for almost 400 to 500 dollars you should get the whole taco with cheese on it. This is my opinion. I am not throwing GRE under the bus because I currently have two GRE PSR 600's which I love and the GRE Radio Shack PRO106. The best thing about the PRO 106 is the battery life and the display and the audio. They put a very nice speaker in the unit.

jackj

I've owned my 800 for almost 6 months now and I agree with most of the pro's and con's. Except for the remote control. On a handheld scanner??? Come on!!!

The thing that sold me on the 800 was my Bearcat 996T. I have owned about 10 or 12 different Bearcat scanners over the years and I have liked all of them. So when my county announced they were going to go digital, of course that called for another Bearcat. Big mistake!!! It didn't work on digital until after the 3rd firmware update....THE 3RD SOFTWARE UPDATE!! Understanding the manual was almost more than I could handle and don't even talk to me about programing a TRS using the keyboard.

The 800 seemed to be a lot easier to program and use so I bought one. I unpacked it, installed batteries and the included microSD card and 5 minutes later I was listening to my county's TRS. IT'S THAT EASY.

kb8rvp

I love mine. I have owned every digital scanner on the market and the PSR-800 if the only one I would have if I had to sell all but one. I live in Michigan and listen to the state APCO-25 digital MPSCS system and the 800 is by far the best. Yeah it can be overloaded in high RF areas but it's a great scanner for the money.

Mike

John599nj

Premium Subscriber
This is the best scanner in the world but your so right I have never seen a battery hog like this. I thought there was a defect. Is there any updated or fixes anyone knows about. Thank
John

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I agree with all of the "Cons". No Vol knob is just stupid. The SQL knob should be the Vol, and the SQL where the Vol is.

Huh!? Of all the things one wants to adjust `Squelch' is the only thing that analog adjustments are truely useful. Some times the difference between receiving & not receiving a signal and still keeping some other signal from stomping on the other is basically a `slight brush' if the squelch knob. How the heck do you expect to be able to do something like with a `digital?' squelch control that only does whatever *programmed* steps that were set at the factory?

Oh, BTW, *if* they *were* to go to an `analog' volume control are they going to go to the trouble of making certain that it is one that was designed with an `Audio Taper' instead of the ones that are now currently used that use a `Linear Taper'? (IE: When one adjusts a `Linear Taper' the `volume' comes up `fast-n-furious' in the first 1/8th to 1/4 of the rotation of the knob VS `slowly ramping' up to about 1/3rd, approximately, of the rotation.) Hint: A `Linear Taper' potentiometer is *CHEAPER*, by a fair amount these days, than an `Audio Taper' potentiometer. Even *if* they were bought in the same bulk amounts.

Belt clip? Well, it is "nice", but it is too light duty, I broke my first one after only 3 weeks.
I've had my 800 basically since they first came out and my belt clip is still in one piece. Now... Since I've recently found a `cupholder' that I can either hang off of the inside of my door or off either dash or console that will hold *both* my 700 & 800 together with just the removal of the belt clip from the 800 I currently do not use the clip anymore. In fact I've also discovered that without the clip I can also carry both radios very comfortably in *one* of the pockets of the vest I usually wear. (It also has lessened my worries about `printing' that I always previously worried about as people seem to be drawn more towards the radios. {VB GRIN!})

GRE Responsive? Well, yes, but it took me 3 calls and 6 emails (I was told my message got lost... got lost more than once?) to get my replacement faceplate. The "paint" was coming off after less than two weeks.
I was one of those who just removed the `frosting' as soon as it started. Quite frankly *I* find the `glossy' finish *a lot better* / `nicer' looking. And, as for any scratching of the display area I was already using a `protector sheet'. The *2* times I called `support' I received very good service and my `problems' were resolved either immediately or within a couple days at most.

Software is good, but does have a few quirks.
Now... I'll definitely go along with the `software' having `quirks' *and* is *also* missing a lot of things that one would expect it to have.

For good or bad, there really isn't any other choice out there that does what this scanner does, so you are sort of stuck. I really like mine, but it is not perfect.
When I first got mine and initially started `playing with it' I sort of felt that way being used to using a PSR-500. However, my 500 has been relegated to `bedside duty' and my 800, along with my 700, is now my main carry. Yes, there will *always* be a few niggling little things here and there with any scanner but, the 800 is probably the best scanner, right now, out there that one can currently reasonably get. (The `software' probably being the main `fly in the ointment'.)

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢. {GRIN!}

xzebra008

Antenna

First I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to respond to help me make a choice. I think I found the scanner for me. However, some say you need an after market antenna to pickup channels better. If so which one should I purchase? I don't want one just for 800mhz but I want it for all the frequencies.

Also....What should I learn and know a head of time about the software? Are there any helpful links out there other than the youtube videos?

Status
Not open for further replies.