GRE is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrol88

I hear they are not delivering any more scanners this year. Are they going out of business?

petrol88

I saw a other post that PSR 900 "might be able to be released next year" and a friend tried to get a PSR500 but was told "none until next year" from one store who said they can't get any and their distributor can't get any, either. Maybe I am just making 2+2 = 3.14159...but it is strange for none until next year.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
GRE is just fine. Still making the best scanners around. I'm sure they appreciate you being interested in their well being :wink:

SCPD

QRT
GRE-Going Out Of Business?

The answer to this question is no but Uniden is eating them for dinner now. GRE has poor squelch and intermod problems, especially on the PSR-200U which I returned to my distributor. Uniden's controls and front end are much better and so is their construction. I have been in this since the early 70's and for those of you that don't know..they only made for Radio Shack up till about 4 years ago..then launched GRE Communications out of CA. I wouldn't bad mouth them but no way does it stack up against Uniden and their customer service is poor and they never call back their dealer's till you call them 10 times!! The Home Patrol One is the best selling scannner that Uniden has EVER made. GRE...no way can you ever knock that product off!
Have a good Fall everyone.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
The answer to this question is no but Uniden is eating them for dinner now. GRE has poor squelch and intermod problems, especially on the PSR-200U which I returned to my distributor. Uniden's controls and front end are much better and so is their construction. I have been in this since the early 70's and for those of you that don't know..they only made for Radio Shack up till about 4 years ago..then launched GRE Communications out of CA. I wouldn't bad mouth them but no way does it stack up against Uniden and their customer service is poor and they never call back their dealer's till you call them 10 times!! The Home Patrol One is the best selling scannner that Uniden has EVER made. GRE...no way can you ever knock that product off!

Since neither manufacture releases sales info, none of us here knows who is selling more units. While Uniden very well may be out selling GRE, or vice-verse, reading the forums I don't see a huge difference in the number of topics. Certainly neither manufacture is "eating the other one for dinner". As it is now GRE has the only scanner decoding any form of TDMA and I bet that's moving a lot of units in some areas and will continue to do so.

And while one can legitimately debate quality/features of each radio all day long, I don't think the topic of customer service is really debatable. Read the numerous stories here. Call Uniden and you'll likely get a phone rep who has no clue about scanners. Call GRE and you'll talk to someone who knows their radio's inside and out. That's not an opinion, that's pretty much a known fact.

As far as dealer customer service, Maybe Jeff from from the Hamstation can chime in. He doesn't seem to have any issues at all getting in touch with GRE as he frequently posts about conversations he has with them.

Last edited:

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
GRE scanners

I have been in electronics and computer repair for over 30 years. No one has been more helpful and had more knowledgeable support than the people I have called at GRE. This includes HP, Compaq (when they were separate from HP), and Dell among many others. I own top models of both brands, and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. My Pro 106 doesn't like simulcasts, but will pick up signals that the Uniden doesn't hear with an open squelch. The BC396XT is better at simulcast, but not anywhere near as flexible on a trip as my Pro 800.

SCPD

QRT
I have a GRE PSR 500 .. and I wouldn't trade it for ANY Uniden.

Uniden just doesn't make a comparable radio in my mind. The user interface on Uniden scanners prevent me from making any leap on a Uniden scanner, and that is telling as I think that I know scanners fairly well. :wink:

I have been listening to scanners for about 35 years now and GRE continues to amaze. They make a solid product and I have had no problems with their products.

cherubim

My Pro-106 and PSR-600 simply blow the Uniden digital scanners (namely the 396XT and 996XT) out of the water. It's really no contest as Uniden has failed to produce a digital scanner that can decode P25 transmissions reliably and produce decent quality audio.

I haven't tried the HP-1 so I can't comment on it other than read the disappointing performance it delivers for a lot of users.

Overall, performance is what matters to me in a scanner and the GRE scanners really deliver.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
When I had the PSR500 it worked good til it jammed I couldnt do nothing I couldnt reset it kept locking up or screen doesnt work.... I like the radio I got the Fl Power & light system lcn it decodes the CC numbers for you. The 396xt doesnt decode the lcn numbers. I may buy the psr500 again.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a pro 106 and a pro-197 and the digital trunking in my area is nearly as clear as analog. Of course it helps since the tower for this site is less than 2 miles from me. :)
n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

Ford vs. Chevy in a different place. I've been into scanning for quite a long time, too. I've also been involved in online communications (BBSing and the like) for a while. These debates always occur, and nothing is ever resolved. I doubt if many minds will be changed.

captncarp

Bust the Uniden bubble.

I have three GRE scanners and one Uniden BC796d in service and a bunch of Unidens packed away gathering dust. The HP-1 had the shortest in service life of them all. Best impression I got from the HP-1 was it was a handy nitelite. But my PSR-410 is brighter.
At best I would say they are equal....but neither one is hands down better than the other.

SCPD

QRT
GRE.COM(Not Going Out Of Business, Yet!)

Hi, all--I am NOT saying that Uniden customer service is great but I will tell you this: GRE is junk..at least here in Lower Westchester near NYC. Intermod...poor squelch controls and quality compared to Uniden. I guess there is a seat for every ***..this is true. But Uniden is night and day from GRE. Radio Shack used GRE for many years and still does but GRE wasn't getting enough business from them so they went out on their own. I have had the more expensive PSR-400 which is now the PSR-410. The volume and squelch knob used to move together. Is that quality?? Audio is not good on any of them. Sorry...I will take a BC-15X, BC-996XT any day over their garbage. The only good thing is a written instruction manual compared to Uniden America Corp.CD. That is crazy! Paul O.....take notice on this, please.
Have a nice Fall everyone.

scannersnstuff

in some fairness to gre, i have to say that i've had/have several of their scanners that were pretty good. after buying/using the latest piece of total garbage,psr-120, i have to say that i will use extreme caution before buying another gre product. the thing was an abysmal failure !. gre should be ashamed of putting out such a crap product. it surely did not make them look good.

uniden <while not perfect> put out the bc125at at a similar price point. it's a useable,reliable scanner.

GRE TAKE NOTE !. i'm sure i've taken out my hard earned $115.00 worth of bad publicity. plus some.

Highpockets

in some fairness to gre, i have to say that i've had/have several of their scanners that were pretty good. after buying/using the latest piece of total garbage,psr-120, i have to say that i will use extreme caution before buying another gre product. the thing was an abysmal failure !. gre should be ashamed of putting out such a crap product. it surely did not make them look good.

uniden <while not perfect> put out the bc125at at a similar price point. it's a useable,reliable scanner.

GRE TAKE NOTE !. i'm sure i've taken out my hard earned $115.00 worth of bad publicity. plus some.

As far as decoding digital signals, my PSR600 outshines the BCD996XT by far, but the encryption mute on the 996XT is a must in my area. I really like both units for certain reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.