RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > GRE Scanners

GRE Scanners - A forum for the discussion of all GRE branded scanning radios and receivers. Whistler branded scanners belong in the Whistler forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 8:59 PM

I obviously lack certain understanding about GRE's organization and present issue---there are contract manufacturers around the globe who are willing to build products for an OEM.
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2013, 7:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have a bad feeling about GRE future. I would think that GRE would have announced an association with another manufacturer by now so I think they are getting out of the scanner business. If I'm right then this is bad news for the hobby.
Old 01-19-2013, 2:15 PM

I'd be very gentle with your GRE, I know I am. Its a modern antique. I know when mine breaks it will become a very expensive book end.
Old 01-19-2013, 3:28 PM

Maybe they wanted to temporarily change their supply & demand cycle
Old 01-20-2013, 4:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfletcher View Post
Maybe they wanted to temporarily change their supply & demand cycle
yeah, and next week the psr-410 will be back,but only at the incredibly low price of just $699.95.
Old 01-29-2013, 3:59 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Question Looking for more info on GRE at the Vegas CES

I'm looking for more info regarding GRE at the Las Vegas CES this year and how their doing?
I remember reading in the GRE PSR-900 thread a few pre-posts including the one I'm quoting below.
However, are there any others that can share some more details ? Any others visit their booth and
have some take away thoughts and observations to share with the folks on this RR forum ?

I personally have noted that GRE/RS branded scanners and GRE/RS RSU parts are drying up.
The popular to order 4 x AA yellow battery tray is not even listed as a part available for the many
different models it came with as opposed to just indicating "out of stock" for the current status.
The Pro-106/197, 164/163, 18, 444(racing) 404/405 are all still "Active" in the RS Inventory.
Only the Pro-404 HH Basic Scanner is still actually available through D2U as of yesterday.
One would think that if RS knows the inside scoop lets say that GRE is definately no more
then one would expect that all the models listed would indicate "Disco" status and not "Active" ?

Lots of Uniden models have recently filled the void left by RS/GRE such as the 396,125 and HP-1's ...

So is it correct basically that the Chinese Gov't wanted to "re-develope" the area that included
GRE's old factory ? So was GRE burdened beyond it's resources by having to relocate and restart up
a production factory somewhere else and is either still somewhere in that process or in a limbo status ?
Another wonder of mine is if RS holds or owns any intelectual property rights to it's RS/GRE OEM models
that say if GRECOM were no more and only if, then RS could have another private brand factory in China
reproduce these same models ? How does that issue work in the OEM private brand world these days ?

Bottom line: Not looking for guesses, rather more actual folks that stopped by the GRE booth at CES ?
I feel that to uproot and relocate operations could really take some time and money and not be quick ?
It would GREat to hear some POST CES show GRECOM booth feedback and or see some actual pictures
taken during this years show !

OK, back to the "wait and you'll find out someday" game ... Las Vegas CES GRECOM booth pics to post anyone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPMan View Post
Uniden is not showing scanners at CES (and all meetings are in private suites, we are not on the show floor). While GRE has a booth, I suspect it is one that they had to reserve prior to their meltdown. With no current operations, I doubt that they are there, but would be as interested...well, OK, more interested...as anyone to know what they were showing if they are there.
RS 20-32(2),20-43(2),20-73 ST2,20-176,20-283's

Last edited by Michael-SATX; 01-29-2013 at 4:33 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 5:34 AM
Completely Banned for the Greater Good
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GRE at CES

Did you miss the first page of this thread? First hand reports of people who visited the booth and even video...
Old 01-29-2013, 6:17 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default GRE Booth

Even if someone visited the booth and heard the greatest news on earth from the horses mouth, it's still a business. Things change overnight; people make decisions; different directions are taken.

Having been pretty much self-employed my entire life, even as a Real Estate Broker for many years. When someone asks "how's the real estate business" you'll never respond "terrible; I'm starving!" It's always great. I'd assume the same with GRE.
Old 01-29-2013, 6:46 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Based on previous posts in this thread, I am under the impression that not too many people associated with RadioReference were at the GRE booth and those that were couldn't get much info from their visit. Yes, we'd all like to have more info, and I'd like so see the next person on this thread share a lot of official or semi-official info about GRE's future or lack thereof. But if there was more info to be had at the CES, I would have expected to see it by now.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:22 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

If you're looking for official information about GRE you should remember the old saying, those that know can't tell and those that tell don't know. The reason is quite simple, if they release information to the public that isn't ready they could be liable for damages to anyone that may claim to have been harmed by that information changing, even slightly (one could claim that they purchased or failed to purchase a radio based on the incorrect information, however true it may have been at the time, and wouldn't have had they known what eventually became the actual facts so GRE somehow should pay them). This thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/gre...facturing.html) has some comments that relate to why no official information is being released.
Old 01-30-2013, 1:13 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Yes rdale, I missed this entire thread as my post got moved here at the end of this thread-thanks.
I watched the Youtube link from Gommerts post and I see GRE's sign, Alinco's table and then
all I can make out is what looks like a "_RE" (GRE) table with this guy blocking the GRE sign
getting something out of his bag. On top of the table I don't see much just a laptop openned up
and no GRECOM scanners are visible to me ? I read the links here and will wait and see ...

Today, oddly enough a few changes in RS/GRE model Direct2U status was observed as follows:
Low and behold the Pro-197 is available again after weeks of being not available in the warehouse.
The Pro-106 is still not available though Direct2U and has been this way since late Nov 2012 ish.
Oddly, the basic scanners switched places ... the Pro-405 is available and today the Pro-404 is not.
So I guess either the stork brought another batch of Pro-197's or stores send them in through the
RMAC redistribution process since new production could not possibly come in from China right ?

btw ~ Paul (Upman) said that Uniden did not have a booth at CES but did I gather correct that he
or a Uniden team were there at "meetings" ... well did they at least stroll by the GRE mystery table?
Nothing like a little friendly and helpful observations (spying) from the competition ~ right )
RS 20-32(2),20-43(2),20-73 ST2,20-176,20-283's

Last edited by Michael-SATX; 01-30-2013 at 1:17 AM..