Help, I have crashed my SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

losman54

I need some..a lot of assistance I'm pretty good with computers so I will be able to follow along with any suggestions. What I'm not good at is restoring the SD card. The original got corrupted, so I went out and purchased a new 4GB micro SD card and I was able to format it Fat32 and I selected copy library files and config to the new SD card, I;m running win8 and when plug the CD card back into the scanner and connect the the USB, my computer doesn't recognize, says USB unknown device

Are the USB drivers on the scanner or n the SD card, and if so how do I get the driver onto the card? IS there an option on the scanner software that I've missed... any help is appreciated?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Crashed SD card

You must reformat it using the EZ Scan software, not windows. Click on Scanner/SD Card and in the drop down menu and select Prepare Scanner memory/SD Card. A box will open with some choices. Do a full format, not a quck version and then copy all files to the card. This will go much faster n most cases if you do it in a card adapter instead of having the card in the scanner.

losman54

Thanks, I already did that several times, The new card is good I can read it, I can see that it has files written on it, but I plug it in correctly, and hit the power button the scan wont turn on. So that a problem, and then when I try to connect the scanner to the computer the computer doesn't see the scanner and says it's an unknown device .... not good! I haven't had this scanner for more than 24 hours! LOL

losman54

I have to believe the USB drivers get loaded on when you reformat the card but I'm not having any luck...it's driving me nuts. Has anybody tried reformatting an SD card from scratch to know whether the software works?

plusEric26

You need to be more clear about what your problems are.

Some folks have reported that the 800 can be finicky about it's SD card. Meaning that the one you purchased may just not work, for whatever reason, in the 800.

Did you try formatting the original card and seeing if you could make it work again. It's not uncommon for the cards configuration to become hosed, and formatting (via EZ Scan) and loading the config back onto it, you can make it work just fine again.

Also, you shouldn't need "drivers" for Windows 8 or otherwise. When the scanner is off, the SD card should show up as a removable drive, and EZ Scan can write to it. If you pop the card in an external card reader, it should also show up there and EZ Scan can write to it. Drivers would only be needed for some other features, but simply loading up configuration files to/from the SD card while it's in the scanner requires no drivers.

You should go back to the original card and attempt to get it working again. Pop it into the scanner, connect your scanner to your PC and make sure the scanner is off. Load up EZ Scan, use it's built in tool to format (Prepare Memory Card for Use & Optimize Memory Card) the card and load the configuration. At least for now trying doing these things without using an external card reader and using the internal slot on the scanner itself.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

Since they are cheap, I would suggest you buy a new 2 GB Sandisk Micro.
Car
Put it in the computer card reader, Pull up EZ Scan and use the "Prepare Scanner Memory / SD Card for Use

Click all 3 boxes-------That will format the card, load your configuration, and load the library to your scanner memory card.

THEN see if your scanner works

WJL

PSR800 crashed memory card

I had a similar problem back a few months ago with the original memory card in my PSR-800, would get corrupted frequently, reformatting and reloading all the files would fix it for a few days but it would happen again.
I tried several memory card replacements and saw exactly the issue you describe, scanner would not boot up.
I had some Discussions with GRE tech support and was told that for reasons unknown to them only SanDisk memory cards will work correctly. I tried many different formatting schemes and always had the same result. Only Sandisk card would bootup every time.

I now have a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 4gb card installed, (about$20.00) and it works perfectly everytime. I have not had it get corrupted even once in the last 3 months, and I update data on it almost every day using an external memory card to usb adaptor.
Using the external adaptor is much faster then going through the radio.

Periodically I will connect the PSR-800 to the usb cable to check for all updates, but always remove the memory card to update V-Scanner folders and library files.

My recommendation is to get the SanDisk Ultra Mobile card, format it in an external memory card reader using the EZ Scan software, and copy your files also using EZScan. Also I would install all the latest
Firmware, DSP and EZScan updates. I have the ver 1.8 and it works great with Phase 2 TDMA system
that recently went online here in Maryland.

Hope this helps your situation

losman54

Since they are cheap, I would suggest you buy a new 2 GB Sandisk Micro.
Car
Put it in the computer card reader, Pull up EZ Scan and use the "Prepare Scanner Memory / SD Card for Use

Click all 3 boxes-------That will format the card, load your configuration, and load the library to your scanner memory card.

THEN see if your scanner works

Thanks
I had to dance a little and maybe a good night sleep helped, I had to use the micro SD card adapter, and a USB reg USB adapter for the org micro SD card to be recognized by my laptop, the onboard card read must be flaky...in any case the scanner is UP AND RUNNING

Thanks for clearing my head IowaGuy

losman54

I had a similar problem back a few months ago with the original memory card in my PSR-800, would get corrupted frequently, reformatting and reloading all the files would fix it for a few days but it would happen again.
I tried several memory card replacements and saw exactly the issue you describe, scanner would not boot up.
I had some Discussions with GRE tech support and was told that for reasons unknown to them only SanDisk memory cards will work correctly. I tried many different formatting schemes and always had the same result. Only Sandisk card would bootup every time.

I now have a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 4gb card installed, (about$20.00) and it works perfectly everytime. I have not had it get corrupted even once in the last 3 months, and I update data on it almost every day using an external memory card to usb adaptor.
Using the external adaptor is much faster then going through the radio.

Periodically I will connect the PSR-800 to the usb cable to check for all updates, but always remove the memory card to update V-Scanner folders and library files.

My recommendation is to get the SanDisk Ultra Mobile card, format it in an external memory card reader using the EZ Scan software, and copy your files also using EZScan. Also I would install all the latest
Firmware, DSP and EZScan updates. I have the ver 1.8 and it works great with Phase 2 TDMA system
that recently went online here in Maryland.

Hope this helps your situation

Yep thanks I've done all of that I have the org 2GB card working (finally, the card on my notebook must be flaky, I had to use a USB SC crd reader to get around that issue, nothing that a good night sleep wont do for you) I have a Scandisk card that I'm having problems with I'm glad to that your 4GB is working though. I'll try to get another 2GB card as a backup, I'll see if I can get the 4GB to work first

IowaGuy1603

I'll try to get another 2GB card as a backup, I'll see if I can get the 4GB to work first

I keep a "back up" 2 GB card in my wallet. I just have to remember to back up to it every so often.

With 2 PSR800's and my 2 backup cards----------------Saturday evening updates takes some time.

losman54

Iowaguy I now have 2 cards working! The USB card reader on my computer I think was the problem, or at least one of the problems, I have been able to consistently been able to do all the updates to both cards on scanner and via USB cable. I think it was a matter of learning curve since it's only been two days with hands-on with the scanner.

I may have to re-install Win7 to see if I did something to the SD card slot and killed something within Win7. I have tried using know good SD Cards and the slot is dead, lucky for me I had a USB thumb SD card reader that allowed me to have the cards read to have EZSCAN formet them.

What started me on this "death spiral"... was that started downloading various freq's and talk groups from five different location, like TX FL MI and NJ, places that I go to often. And every time I turn on the scanner it was taking forever to initial to be able to go through the scan or menu. Which I'm sure slowed down the scan capability of the scanner. (Let me know if that's incorrect). I still haven't been able to figure out how to just active one scanlist at the time for instance NJ and not the rest of the scanlist. I was checking off and enabling one scanlist at a time and I think that was activating that specific list and not the others. But I couldn't understand why it took so long for it to initial every-time I turned it on or go from WX to Scan. Maybe that's the way it works!?

I just need to figure out or call into Scannermaster or GRECOMM and find out what best practices should be.

Thanks for all for hanging in there and offering suggestions.

To start with do you think as a work around, I should just download Freqs/TG's to the same scanlist 1 depending the location that I'm in or keep various/multiple scanlist?

Will downloading a new location override the previous freqs or add to them?

IowaGuy1603

losman45
There are better qualified people than me for the information you are requesting :)

Read up on V-Scanner folders..................Put NJ in one Texas in another etc

Then (for example) in the Texas configuration
Put Houston PD in one scan list, county sheriff in another , and break up the rest of your frequencies into logical separations.

I have one V Scanner folder set up for a certain trip I take often. Each county has a separate scan list so I can "follow" the road I normally take

repeat with each V Scanner folder

losman54

losman45
There are better qualified people than me for the information you are requesting :)

Read up on V-Scanner folders..................Put NJ in one Texas in another etc

Then (for example) in the Texas configuration
Put Houston PD in one scan list, county sheriff in another , and break up the rest of your frequencies into logical separations.

I have one V Scanner folder set up for a certain trip I take often. Each county has a separate scan list so I can "follow" the road I normally take

repeat with each V Scanner folder

Thanks, I'll look into it, I think they could make it a little more intuitive, in my opinion ...it's a hell of lot better than any other alterative so I i'm not going to complain. Thank you all for your help.

losman54

Iowaguy... thanks a million I did exactly that and life is beautiful! I have set up several Vscan folders for each location..this is great for now ... thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.