how long will psr 800 get updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

In the most recent news release from GRE, they state they are contractually committed to keeping the library database updated and current. No contract lasts forever, so i was just wondering how long they are "contractually committed" to doing this?? Whether they come back and start making scanners again, or not, how long is that contract for??

Boatanchor

Close of business (5pm), Friday 1st of Feb 2013 :)

Na, just kidding, but it does raise serious questions about the residual value of all those wonderful, keypadless, 'self tuning' scanners that were sold on the merits of being able to do regular database updates.

I doubt anybody on this forum will know the real answer to this question..

Last edited:

SquierStrat

Well shoot. This is the website where it all comes from so SOMEONE here has to know.. I guess i could change the question to how long is this website contractually committed to keep providing information to the 2 scanner manufacturers..

dkf435

They will not like this answer but it is time to mirror the database that we created and to make an application to load these into the radios without an internet interface and connection. If these companies are taking tricks from Microsoft for forced obsolescence then we need to stop our monetary contributions to these companies and make them take notice that we own the equipment and not just a "license" to use it.

. I still have an AR3000 with software that I can fire up from 1992 that is still very powerful for scanning and signal logging that runs under DOS and Windows 3.1

David Kb7uns

SquierStrat

I contacted GRE and got somewhat of an answer. Although they wouldnt/couldnt give me an exact amount of time, they said "for many years"

Status
Not open for further replies.