Got PSR800 Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgmaley

I just got my PSR800 back from GRE after warranty repair. This one had the antenna connector come loose after just a couple weeks of use. Careful what you connect to this BNC, it's not very hardy. The center pin is soldered directly to the PC board and can easily break free. There's no easy way to re-connect it. The area is covered with shielding. GRE commented on the return sheet that they did some glueing too. Turnaround time was two weeks.
They also updated the CPU and DSP firmware to what they just released. Anyone happen to know if GRE has added some of the older Motorola digital modes? I seem to be hearing some things that weren't there before. Just an observation.
I also downloaded and installed their newest verion of their PC software. No problems using Windows 8. Recommend to those that are running 8 on a newer multi-processor PC and are having trouble, try going into windows power control and turning the CPU clock down to 40% and locked so that it goes no higher. Your system may just be running the software too fast. It looks like GRE designed this software for smaller systems.
Have fun.
Dave...

dgmaley

Sorry for the delay. It took some time to track down this intermittant signal.
It IS a P25 signal, but not through a trunking system. That's why it sounded a little different.

Dave...

IowaGuy1603

Glad to hear that GRE service is still up and running despite so many on this forum sure they are dead!!!!!!!!

dgmaley..........................what is the frequency of your P25 signal?

You are aware (are you not) that the Linn county P25 system is in testing mode at times

dgmaley

LinnCo P25

I forget the actual frequency, but it belonged to the DOT at 151MHz, non-trunking repeater.

Getting a LOT of encrypted voice on the LinnCo P25 today. Sounds like one is a female voice. The control channel is up all the time and seeing control data. Signal is full scale on the east end of Marion. Using wildcard for talkgroup number. Encryption makes it sound like beings from another planet.

Dave

IowaGuy1603

I forget the actual frequency, but it belonged to the DOT at 151MHz, non-trunking repeater.

Getting a LOT of encrypted voice on the LinnCo P25 today. Sounds like one is a female voice. The control channel is up all the time and seeing control data. Signal is full scale on the east end of Marion. Using wildcard for talkgroup number. Encryption makes it sound like beings from another planet.

Dave

ok DOT , I listen to them P25 during storms

I just flipped the LC system on and see the Flashing T..but pretty sure I have the radio set for not hearing encryption...................but who cares

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
BNC Housing

I just got my PSR800 back from GRE after warranty repair. This one had the antenna connector come loose after just a couple weeks of use. Careful what you connect to this BNC, it's not very hardy. The center pin is soldered directly to the PC board and can easily break free. There's no easy way to re-connect it. The area is covered with shielding. GRE commented on the return sheet that they did some glueing too. Turnaround time was two weeks.
They also updated the CPU and DSP firmware to what they just released. Anyone happen to know if GRE has added some of the older Motorola digital modes? I seem to be hearing some things that weren't there before. Just an observation.
I also downloaded and installed their newest verion of their PC software. No problems using Windows 8. Recommend to those that are running 8 on a newer multi-processor PC and are having trouble, try going into windows power control and turning the CPU clock down to 40% and locked so that it goes no higher. Your system may just be running the software too fast. It looks like GRE designed this software for smaller systems.
Have fun.
Dave...

Yes, as I have frequently posted, the GRE BNC module is an annoying design. I was hoping that GRE improved this setup, but I've heard mention that it is on the PSR 800 too. I have sent my GRE PSR 500 in for repairs on two occasions. I'm rough on hand held scanners. I also had difficulty with my BC 245 BNC housing.

If you put too much strain on the antenna, the BNC housing can come loose. So, I avoid all very tight fitting antennas or excessive use of adapters on top of the radio. This is my experience.

dgmaley

BNC Connector use

The reason you have been sending your radio back multiple times is GRE's use of the BNC connector. This is a good example why many companies quit using it and went to the SMA style. It is a more modern design and therefore does not have some of the design issues in the BNC. The center pin of a BNC can never be directly soldered to a PC board. The center pin floats to center itself when the plug is inserted. It's one solid piece and will put stress on the PC board connection. GRE mounted the BNC flange on to a metal bracket with only a single nut and lockwasher. Removing a connector can put repeated torque on this and eventually work loose. The is a good place to use a coating of blue Locktite. The center pin was designed to have a small piece if solid, soft drawn, copper wire soldered to it and a small loop left next to it. The connector was never designed to work with small modern day components. BNC is the initials of the German company that designed the connector in the 1950's. It can be built to have either a 50 or 75 ohm impedance and is considered useable up to 1Ghz.
Dave..

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
BNC

Actually BNC stands for Bayonet Neill–Concelman the two designers of the connector *not* some mythical German company that supposedly makes it.

As for `connection problems' with BNCs... A small chunk of braided flexible wire, formed into a `flying-U shape, between the center connection and the board does wonders for improving longevity. While it might not be for the `faint of hearted' it really isn't as hard as some have tried to make it seem. Even `rickety old' me can easily fix it if I don't try and rush it. {VB GRIN!} Amazingly enough even with as many antenna changes as I've been known to do I've only had to effect said repair on only 3-4 out of the couple dozen or so handheld scanners I own. And those scanners are still `chugging along' quite well.

dgmaley

BNC

Yes , you are right about what BNC stands for. One worked for Amponel, the other for Bell Labs. Amp tries to take all the credit these days. I was always taught to use a piece of solid wire and not braid because braid will have a higher inductance. I don't think it will make much of a difference here though.
Wonder if you could pass along a procedure for repairing the PSR-800 BNC just in case the rest of us need it?

Dave...

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Yes , you are right about what BNC stands for. One worked for Amphenol, the other for Bell Labs. Amp tries to take all the credit these days. I was always taught to use a piece of solid wire and not braid because braid will have a higher inductance. I don't think it will make much of a difference here though.
Wonder if you could pass along a procedure for repairing the PSR-800 BNC just in case the rest of us need it?

In the past I tried using a solid piece of wire and after having to go back into one handheld a second time I tried using a little chunk of some very fine `SolderWick' and haven't bothered using anything else. One of the `tricks' to using this is you have to have already `tinned' the two ends and the points you are going to be connecting. Then all it takes is a quick application of heat and it's done. I usually use an old Ungar `Princess' iron with a tiny `shovel' tip on a 15W heat element. (For those not familiar with the `Princess' iron it was the first `micro' soldering irons and used interchangeable heaters and tips so one could fairly quickly go from 5W all the way up to 30W, or if one was lucky and had bought a complete set of heaters 40W, heaters. There were also quite a few tips available and some of them were actually `plated' for longer life.)

As for passing on a procedure for fixing the 800... *If* I have to do that to one of my 800s I'll try and remember to set up my camera and `document' how it goes. So far, *I* have not had any problems with any of them. (Knocking on wood hoping that after saying that I haven't had any problems I *don't* have any problems. {WAN GRIN!})

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
best solution to BNC issues.. PUSH the antenna or cable connector down on the radio BNC BEFORE you twist. A little extra time cures the broken connection issues 99% of the time.. Been There, Done That !!

Status
Not open for further replies.