Advanced DSP Settings in PSR-800 EZ Scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfletcher

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

That I know of, little is written about these settings and since the manual suggests not changing them unless directed by Support I'm inquiring here on the forum rather than tinkering.

Most of my trunk scanning is within Ohio Marcs where I pick-and-choose between two neighboring sites. Whether using my rubber duck or a mag-mount in my car there are times when transmissions get a little garbled. The signal strength meter shows 3-to-4 bars on these sites. I've come to accept it but recently began scanning a Montgomery Co system whose site is in a relatively similar distance as one of my Ohio MARCS sites, yet the Montgomery Co system sounds flawless. So I am asking if changing those DSP settings could positively impact the reception or audio on the MARCS system. Can you share your experiences and knowledge? Thanks.

TedRHayes

Greetings,

That I know of, little is written about these settings and since the manual suggests not changing them unless directed by Support I'm inquiring here on the forum rather than tinkering.

Most of my trunk scanning is within Ohio Marcs where I pick-and-choose between two neighboring sites. Whether using my rubber duck or a mag-mount in my car there are times when transmissions get a little garbled. The signal strength meter shows 3-to-4 bars on these sites. I've come to accept it but recently began scanning a Montgomery Co system whose site is in a relatively similar distance as one of my Ohio MARCS sites, yet the Montgomery Co system sounds flawless. So I am asking if changing those DSP settings could positively impact the reception or audio on the MARCS system. Can you share your experiences and knowledge? Thanks.

There is one big difference between the Montgomery Co system and the Ohio MARCS system. The broadcast on the Montgomery Co system are Analog, the broadcast on the Ohio MARCS are P25 digital. As such I'm sure the DSP processes the signal very differently. If you don't have a strong enough signal, the DSP will have trouble decoding the P25.

I don't know what effect changing the DSP settings would have.

I would suggest that you consider adjusting the "Data Decode Thresholds" settings under the Trunked Radio Systems tab/Site Details for the Ohio MARCS system. This can impact which "site" is used when signals are detected. I typically use Low: 88, High: 95. That may assure you get the strongest signal.

Hope that helps.

Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.