PSR 800, Sitting On Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
At present, I am having a difficult time making a decision. I have come into a bit of spare change; however, I have reservations about buying the PSR 800. At present, I own a PSR 500 that works well. Luckily, no Phase II TDMA talk groups have surfaced in my immediate area. However, within this radio system, there are others who have started using Phase II TDMA.

Here are some of my concerns:

1) Is there a radio on the horizon that brings the things I really want, such as full Phase II capabilities? I don't know whether a pure Phase II scanner is possible. Furthermore, I don't know of the PSR 800 has the hardware to work on a pure Phase II FDMA system. I know it works on TDMA. There are obviously other features on a digital scanner I prefer such as capabilities with out-of-reach proprietary software systems. But, I don't know if this is even feasible given the "hush hush" climate by manufacturers;

2) It concerns me that the 3.5 mm earphone is diminished enough where a good earphone can't be heard in normal road traffic;

3) Will GRE continue to exist, repair or provide firmware updates should they go broke?

4) Will the migration to full phase II happen in the next few years?

At present, there are no radios on the market that match this radio. So, I am sitting on the fence here.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I too, have struggled with the same dilemmas. More questions, than anyone (including GRE) has answers.

n9zas

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Go For Broke

I too, have struggled with the same dilemmas. More questions, than anyone (including GRE) has answers.

n9zas

Well, there is a likelihood that this company will bounce back. I think I'm going to take a gamble & buy one. I found some going for decent prices.

I suppose there are some who entertain the possibility that the government is purposefully letting access to scanner frequencies die via encryption and/or ever increasing standards. Some may think the ultimate goal of public safety communication is to completely shut out the public. I hope I don't live in that world.

Right now, from what I'm seeing, law enforcement traffic in the UK is totally encrypted.

IowaGuy1603

If you are on the fence, you probably will be disappointed in the long run.

#1 It is the ONLY Phase II scanner & NO other company has said they are developing one

#2 It sucks--------buy an amplified speaker or headphone

#3 GRE is not going broke...........they lost their "home" in a communist land & are trying to find a new place to build their radios......They continue to be the company that repairs Alinco radios in the USA and have said several times that they will continue to repair GRE scanners

#4 Some agencies will migrate MANY will not

If you neither believe the above or are worried that much about them----------don't buy one

troymail

Silent Key
If you find someone who can give you answers to ALL of your questions, please have them contact me... I need this week's Powerball numbers. :D

If you need a Phase 2 (TDMA) radio - GREs PSR800 is your only option right now.

My experience says that if you have what you need already, you may want to wait and see what is around the corner.... I sense something new coming....

I still remember when my county switched from VHF to an 800 trunked system (1988?) but there were not trunking scanners out yet... Later bought a digital scanner (BC-296) when it came out because I was under the impression we were going digital -- we're still (mostly) analog!

If you want it (or need it) and got the dollars - go for it. If you don't need it (yet), you may want to wait - you just never know what will appear (new and hopefully better) between now and when you "need" it.

Squad10

GRE is very mature. Through their years, I suspect their earnings have been immense. In the late 70s, a GRE engineer (wearing a white lab coat and goggles) drove me around in an experimental GRE EV on the streets near their office in Chicago,

IMO, buy the 800. I love mine.

Last edited:

Qwerty7

Hi,
I have thoroughly read the reviews for the PSR-800 and followed the progress of the Beta rollout for the X2 Software as well as the Uniden software update for the Simulcast issue.
As for the X2 I do have one local system operating it but they are fully encrypted--I see this as a growing trend. I have multiple 700 Mhz P-25 systems about to replace older Trunked systems in my local area. Encryption will be used but to what degree is unknown.
Multipath issues. This problem works in tandem with the Encryption issue--all the new systems are
Simulcast and my PRO 106 and 197 receive the choppy, useless signals.
From what I have read the Uniden's attempt to resolve this issue has not been quite as sucessful as hoped--good for some, not for others. So...I wait. UpMan has hinted Uniden is working on a new Scanner which, hopefully, will really handle the Simulcast issues but if the systems are Encrypted, the scanner remains a door stop. The hobby is dying under the boot of Encryption. I would sit back and watch these boards over the next year or so and see what transpires.
Good Luck !
m.m.

kc2tek

Well, there is a likelihood that this company will bounce back. I think I'm going to take a gamble & buy one. I found some going for decent prices.

I suppose there are some who entertain the possibility that the government is purposefully letting access to scanner frequencies die via encryption and/or ever increasing standards. Some may think the ultimate goal of public safety communication is to completely shut out the public. I hope I don't live in that world.

Right now, from what I'm seeing, law enforcement traffic in the UK is totally encrypted.

The industy's move to encryption, and the anti-decrypying laws in America, mean scanner manufacturers aren't going to be able to produce receivers that do what anyone wants any more. That might be why Grecom got cold feet with building a new factory at this point.

I'm not sure handheld scanners have a very bright future unless the manufacturers can build them in such a way that users can load them with decryption solutions downloaded from "third parties" (either hackers or surreptitiously seeded by the scanner manufacturers themselves).

Otherwise a computer-based SDR dongle running on software that emulates scanner functionality, decrypted by software developed somewhere outside of America and distributed via bitorrent seems like the way things are going to have to go if people want to continue with this hobby in the near future.

jackj

I have owned a PSR-800 for about a year now and I love it. I really think it is the best scanner I have ever owned or used. If you have had problems in the past with programing your scanner then this one will solve all your problems. That said.....

1. If there is, nobody is talking about it. My thought is that if Uniden had a Phase II scanner and was close to releasing it, they would be talking about it. However my experience with Uniden has not been good. I bought a 996T shortly after they came out in order to get a scanner that worked with digital communications. I didn't get one, it wasn't until the third firmware update that I could decode digital communications. THE THIRD UPDATE!! Maybe Uniden is field testing a phase II scanner but my feeling is that they don't do ANY field testing, I know they didn't with the 996T.

2. You can increase the default earphone volume on the PSR-800 using the programing software but that doesn't change the maximum output and it still won't be powerful enough to drive an external speaker. I use a home-built amplified speaker. Like car manufacturers, GRE has little respect for the intelligence of their customers. Car manufacturers don't think you're smart enough to turn the headlights on when you need them, GRE doesn't think you are smart enough to turn the volume down when you use an earphone.

3. GRE makes more than just scanners so they won't be going out of business anytime soon. GRE America has stated several times that they will continue to repair and support GRE scanners. I don't know how long OEM parts like cases and keypads will be available and I can see that as a limiting factor for repairs.

4. No, full migration to phase II will take decades. Most police and sheriff departments that are trunked have just completed the change over from analog. They will not be spending millions of dollars on another radio system anytime soon.

There has been a deafening silence from GRE and/or GRE America regarding the future of GRE scanners. This leads me to believe that they don't have any plans to start building and selling scanners again. So, once the current supply of 800's is exhausted, there will not be a scanner available for phase II. Face it, the scanner market is very small and neither company is going to spend 10's of millions of dollars developing and marketing a scanner for sales of maybe 100,000 units of year.

Last edited:

n8zcc

2. You can increase the default earphone volume on the PSR-800 using the programing software but that doesn't change the maximum output and it still won't be powerful enough to drive an external speaker. I use a home-built amplified speaker. Like car manufacturers, GRE has little respect for the intelligence of their customers. Car manufacturers don't think you're smart enough to turn the headlights on when you need them, GRE doesn't think you are smart enough to turn the volume down when you use an earphone.

Don't be too quick to blame manufactures. Most of these decisions are not made by people like me (an automotive engineer) but by our legal department or some federal regulation. It is because in this nation, we crank out 10s of thousands of new lawyers each year with a $100K plus debit for school loans. Frivolous lawsuits, many being class actions, are a common method for them to earn. Look at the grief Apple had with iPod volumes a few years ago. It isn't that we are not smart enough, it is that we are dumb enough to let politicians and the legal system to triumph.

As far as the PSR-800, it is a good radio and I like mine, if the OP is on the fence you better make a decision soon as the number of available units is slowing bleeding off.

i own the GRE-800 i use it as my base scanner i did use it in the car and got the Pro-197 to replace the GRE-800 as a mobile its a great scanner and love having it as my base scanner.

kb8rvp

I have had the PSR-800 from the day they came out and love it. I have no issues with the audio output at all using stereo headphones it will blow your ears off if you turn it past 10-12 and it goes to 30. In my office at work I have it connected to amplified computer speakers and again it works wonderful. It's my go-to scanner unless I leave home and head into a simulcast area and then I take my BCD396XT with me as well. If you are going to use it in a loud area you may want to try bluetooth headphones with a stereo bluetooth transmitter plugged into the headphone jack on the scanner it will do just fine.

Mike

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Don't be too quick to blame manufactures. Most of these decisions are not made by people like me (an automotive engineer) but by our legal department or some federal regulation. It is because in this nation, we crank out 10s of thousands of new lawyers each year with a $100K plus debit for school loans. Frivolous lawsuits, many being class actions, are a common method for them to earn. Look at the grief Apple had with iPod volumes a few years ago. It isn't that we are not smart enough, it is that we are dumb enough to let politicians and the legal system to triumph.

As far as the PSR-800, it is a good radio and I like mine, if the OP is on the fence you better make a decision soon as the number of available units is slowing bleeding off.

And it seems like the the units that are still available have seen a skyrocketing increase in price.

I figure I'll wait another six months or so until there are no more new units available anywhere and then put mine up for sale on ebay for around $1000. You know, just to see if anyone is desperate enough to pay that much. LOL :D Nah, just kidding. I like my 800 too much to sell it off.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I love mine; I'd go for it if you have the bucks. It takes some getting used to and turning systems on and off isn't as easy as it should be. The 396XT is still amazing but it doesn't do X2/P2 nor does it record. I carry both in the car on trips.

Russell

n8zcc

I love mine; I'd go for it if you have the bucks. It takes some getting used to and turning systems on and off isn't as easy as it should be. The 396XT is still amazing but it doesn't do X2/P2 nor does it record. I carry both in the car on trips.

Russell

I love the record feature. I have mine setup to record wild card hits, helps me to purpose new talk groups.

wingmaker

I love the record feature. I have mine setup to record wild card hits, helps me to purpose new talk groups.

I agree, I do exactly that also, it is a awesome feature. I wish they would of added the Tune Mode, like the PSR 310 410 and Pro 197 and 106, PSR 500 600:) LOVE AND BLESSINGS

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
As Soon As The Check Is In Mail

At present, I am waiting on the sale of my 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom, tobacco sunburst to fund this radio. I have to be patient. Some people don't know how hard it is to part with an old friend. Since I don't play it often, it is the right time to sell.

So, from the variety of responses here, I am even more convinced that I need to spend money on this radio. The overall impression is this radio works better with various simulcast situations.

Since I don't own one, I am hoping that I can fine tune the frequencies inside. Hopefully, I won't have to rely upon RR DB. For instance, I hope I can add obscure frequencies outside of RR.

I still don't know how this radio is powered in the car. Does this radio require a step-down power source like my PSR 500?

I also know this radio works better than my PSR 500 for analyzing various radio systems, including VHF P25 trunking. But, I don't know if it is possible to use Pro96Com with it.

So, if I do get this radio, my first action is to analyze various radio systems here in Waco, including Woodway. I am very curious about what this radio will show.

Thanks for the great responses.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

Since I don't own one, I am hoping that I can fine tune the frequencies inside. Hopefully, I won't have to rely upon RR DB. For instance, I hope I can add obscure frequencies outside of RR. .

Use the RR DB for most of the frequencies................it's just plain easier.
THEN you can add other frequencies manually using the EZScan program

I still don't know how this radio is powered in the car. .

It is powered by a USB cord........................Just get a 12v adapter with a USB port and you are good to go

(Same way it is powered in side the house )

n8zcc

It is powered by a USB cord........................Just get a 12v adapter with a USB port and you are good to go
(Same way it is powered in side the house )

I use an old cell phone charger in the car. The radio uses the older flat but fat usb connector like the older cell phones used. I am sure there is a name for that connector but I don't know what it is.

IowaGuy1603

I use an old cell phone charger in the car. The radio uses the older flat but fat usb connector like the older cell phones used. I am sure there is a name for that connector but I don't know what it is.

None of my old cell phone chargers fit it................

BUT the USB cable that comes with the scanner can plug into a USB port in your car.......or on one of the USB adapters you can buy at any Stop and Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.