I Am Having Trouble With PSR-800 On A Multi-Site System

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyro424

I am starting to get annoyed with the psr-800. I have read a few posts on here regarding the same topic but I still have been unable to figure it out. I want to be able to select which sites on the system I want to listen to, or which site I want a talk group to be associated with. I have tried programming it several different ways. Perhaps I do not fully grasp this idea of scan lists and scan sets. I do not mind doing it the long way around or whatever it takes. It seems it always comes down to me having to lock out sites. Of course the only way I can do this is via the software! I just don't get it. I own other scanners such as the BCD396XT and I can select whatever site and talk groups I want. Anyone have any ideas or perhaps a step by step procedure to program this thing so I can manually choose what sites I want to listen to? I know this topic has been discussed before. I am starting to give up on this thing and deem it a one site radio LOL! I know some people have this radio working in a configuration where you can select sites. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Multi Sites

The best way I've found to monitor a multi site system is to put each tower you want to monitor into a separate v folder. I have 14 v folvers for the Michigan MPSCS system to pull up as I drive along.

I am starting to get annoyed with the psr-800. I have read a few posts on here regarding the same topic but I still have been unable to figure it out. I want to be able to select which sites on the system I want to listen to, or which site I want a talk group to be associated with. I have tried programming it several different ways. Perhaps I do not fully grasp this idea of scan lists and scan sets. I do not mind doing it the long way around or whatever it takes. It seems it always comes down to me having to lock out sites. Of course the only way I can do this is via the software! I just don't get it. I own other scanners such as the BCD396XT and I can select whatever site and talk groups I want. Anyone have any ideas or perhaps a step by step procedure to program this thing so I can manually choose what sites I want to listen to? I know this topic has been discussed before. I am starting to give up on this thing and deem it a one site radio LOL! I know some people have this radio working in a configuration where you can select sites. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

pyro424

Ok thanks for the reply. So once I create a few different V-scan folders, how do I select which v-scan folder I want on the radio?

bfletcher

Premium Subscriber
I'm 2 months into my PSR-800 and had the same struggles. I'll start with a brief explanation but if it isn't helpful to you then feel free to so advise. And others with more experience will chime-in, I'm certain. First, you may want to refer to some much helpful replies that were given to my own post in January. Here's that link: http://forums.radioreference.com/gre-scanners/257708-psr-800-confusion-multi-site-workaround.html

In its simplest form, I began by importing my desired system via the EZ Scan software. That import resulted in 7 sites. In time, I discovered there are only 3 sites that I only pick up due to my proximity to those various sites. And my only interest in that system is Safety. So given those two pieces of information, I deleted TGRP's that were of no interest (truth be told, when it all began to click a little later I did a fresh import by the "Standard" import type and selected the TGRP's of interest).

Once I had that system (with all 7 sites) with the reduced TGRP's I duplicated it twice, resulting in 3 systems that matched. Then I modified each of those 3 systems as such: I renamed each to match the site of interest (for me, one was West Alex, another was Dayton, and the last was Darke CO). Next, I deleted all but 1 site within each of those 3 systems. Hence, in my system named West Alex I kept the West Alex site and deleted the other 6 sites. For my Dayton system I kept the Dayton site and deleted the others... and used the same scheme for the Darke CO system.

Next, I named 3 scanlists to match the 3 system names. Then, within each system, I directed its TGRP's to the appropriately named scanlist (the TGRP's in my West Alex system were associated with my West Alex scanlist, Dayton TGRP's to Dayton scanlist, and so on).

For my needs, these 3 systems reside in the same V-Folder and I toggle the scanlists as needed. When I was first experimenting, I created separate V-Folders for each system but for my use it doesn't make sense to do that today and it's much quicker to toggle the scanlists on and off as needed. Also when I first started, I balked at this process of having to manually pick-and-choose sites but today it works very well for me and it is a simple and quick process.

Those more experienced will probably advise that the TGRP's don't need to be duplicated across all of the systems but I found it a little easier to set it up that way, initially, and I am not aware of any negative consequences in having done it that way.

Good luck!

TedRHayes

What multi-site system are you trying to monitor? That info might help understand your issues.

Here are some thoughts:

On the PSR-800, when you program (or import) a trunk system with multiple sites you don't directly associate sites with a scanlists. You associate the TGIDs from the system with one (or more) scanlists. As the PSR-800 scans through a "scanlist" with a given list of TGIDs, it looks for Control Channel signals on the frequencies specified for each "Site" defined for the system (assuming the site is not locked out). When a CC signal is found, if one of the TGIDs in the current scanlist is "active", the PSR-800 will open the dynamically allocated voice frequency and you should hear the traffic.

For multi-site systems, you will probably be in range of a small number (2-4) of sites at any given point in time. The PSR-800 will generally select the site with the strongest signal; you have some control over this by changing the "Data Decode Thresholds" (see EZ Scan, Trunked Radio System tab, Site Details sub-tab).

In my experience, this auto-selection of sites works pretty well. So I just worry about organizing my TGIDs in to scanlists that reflect the groups I wish to monitor.

Should you want to more explicitly control which sites you monitor there is another approach. You can "Duplicate" a trunked system (see Trunked Radio Systems tab). You can then explicitly delete/lock-out sites in each copy of the system. Keep in mind that you will probably want to change the scanlists to which TGIDs are assigned - even though the TGIDs are the same they belong to different "systems" on the PSR-800.

A problem with the duplicate system approach is updates. The duplicate copies of a system are not automatically updated in EZ Scan if the reference system is changed during the weekly updates from the RR data base.

Hope this clarifies some of your questions, don't hesitate to ask additional questions.

Ted

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Different V Folders

Menu > Up arrow 6 clicks V-Scanner > Select > Right arrow or left arrow to select the folder you want > Select > Scan

Ok thanks for the reply. So once I create a few different V-scan folders, how do I select which v-scan folder I want on the radio?

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
Multi site

Here is what I did, I created a list of all the towers in my area of travel. As I drive around, the radio will track sites that it hears. For example, in Macomb, I will get traffic from the simulcast towers as well as the Lakeville tower. Is there a reason this is not the best way to work with multiple sites while traveling around?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 443

KE5TLF

That doesn't work. You are only scanning whichever single site has the best RSSI that way.

The only way to scan multipe sites is to create seperate TSYS objects for each site.

For the purposes of explanation, we'll say you're starting with a clean slate:
Find and import the system and select the one site that is your best/closest site.
Doctor up and add any unlisted TG's to your liking in that entry.
Once you have everything to your liking repeatedly copy that as many times as needed for whatever number of sites you want.
Go through and edit the site details to whatever it is supposed to be for a given site in the copies.
Assign all TG's in each copy to it's own scanlist.
Rename the scanlists to the site names.

Keep in mind you'll have to maintain the TG lists of each entry too, which can be a huge PITA if your system is still in the growing process, but this is the only way to be in control of what sites you're scanning.

Last edited:

pyro424

Ok thanks for all the replies guys. I do have the radio scanning two different sites at the same time now. Actually I am able to scan two sites within one scan set. Still a few little problems but I think I can figure it out from here. I do like this radio, just a bit of a hassle to program it in a way that is not considered "dummy mode" Also the manual is not very descriptive. I still have not figured out what a "wild card" is.

troymail

Silent Key
If I am doing custom programming via EZ Scan, I create a "all sites" system/scanlist and then one scanlist "per site 'system'" and assign each of those to a separate scanlist.

In EZ Scan, I load a multi-site system in it's entirty into a VFolder and assign all talkgoups to a scanlist.

Then, I duplicate the system in EZ Scan, lock out all but one site, and assign all of the talkgroups in the duplicated single system site to a different scanlist.

I repeat the duplication process above and put each site in a separate scanlist.

This way I have something like this:

Scanlist 1 - SystemX-all sites
Scanlist 2 - SystemX-Site 1
Scanlist 3 - SystemX-Site 2

etc.

If using only scanlist 1, it's possible you will only check/scan the first site that is in the "acceptable" reception range by the radio.

Using scanlist 2 and 3 ensures that both sites are checked/scanned. You can enable/disable as you see fit.

(Note: as you may have realized already, putting each site in a separate VFolder limits you to only enabling/listening to one site at a time)

BTW - I don't use scansets -- scanlists and VFolders are enough for me....

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
That doesn't work. You are only scanning whichever single site has the best RSSI that way.

The only way to scan multipe sites is to create seperate TSYS objects for each site.

For the purposes of explanation, we'll say you're starting with a clean slate:
Find and import the system and select the one site that is your best/closest site.
Doctor up and add any unlisted TG's to your liking in that entry.
Once you have everything to your liking repeatedly copy that as many times as needed for whatever number of sites you want.
Go through and edit the site details to whatever it is supposed to be for a given site in the copies.
Assign all TG's in each copy to it's own scanlist.
Rename the scanlists to the site names.

Keep in mind you'll have to maintain the TG lists of each entry too, which can be a huge PITA if your system is still in the growing process, but this is the only way to be in control of what sites you're scanning.

What you said is true for a PRO-106/197 but I do believe the PSR-800 scans different, thus the reason I will see different towers sites identified on the scanner while I am scanning. I don't think the scanner finds a control channel and camps on it, I think it looks for activity on any control channel that meets the signal strength requirement. I don't know how to prove this short of making a video of the scanner's display.

bfletcher

Premium Subscriber
... I think it looks for activity on any control channel that meets the signal strength requirement.

But if and when a CC meets the signal strength requirement---as prescribed in the Data Decode Threshold settings---won't it remain on that CC, rather than looking for [other] activity on another site without utilizing the earlier prescribed methods?

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
But if and when a CC meets the signal strength requirement---as prescribed in the Data Decode Threshold settings---won't it remain on that CC, rather than looking for [other] activity on another site without utilizing the earlier prescribed methods?

This is what the mystery is. In my opinion of observing the radio in an area where more than one tower is available, the radio will scan the control frequency of each tower. I say this because while sitting at a dealership I will hear TGs on the Lapeer Simulcast system as well as the Lakeville tower. For folks around my area, this is at Lapeer Road (M24) and Silver Bell, just north of the Palace of Auburn Hills.

At work (9 mile and Telegraph), two towers are available, Southfiled and Northville and I observe the same behavior. I have the radio's display set up so it will display the site name when it finds a valid TG.

My conclusion is the radio will not camp on a single control channel, instead it will scan the list of control channels specified (as shown is post #7) in the site list. If my conclusion is right, this feature adds to the flexibility of the radio, I wish I could get my PRO-106 to do this.

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
This is what the mystery is. In my opinion of observing the radio in an area where more than one tower is available, the radio will scan the control frequency of each tower. I say this because while sitting at a dealership I will hear TGs on the Lapeer Simulcast system as well as the Lakeville tower. For folks around my area, this is at Lapeer Road (M24) and Silver Bell, just north of the Palace of Auburn Hills.

At work (9 mile and Telegraph), two towers are available, Southfiled and Northville and I observe the same behavior.

My conclusion is the radio will not camp on a single control channel, instead it will scan the list of control channels specified (as shown is post #7) in the site list. If my conclusion is right, this feature adds to the flexibility of the radio, I wish I could get my PRO-106 to do this.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if it's really checking each of the sites.

Turn on CCDUMP to the SD and monitor. If it's checking all sites, you should see it rotating through each CC frequency one after the other in the log. IF you see the same CC frequency (for a given site) over and over and then it switches, this tells you it's sticking on one for a while and then drifting off looking for the next one.

I suspect the radio isn't getting a good continuous solid lock or any one CC frequency so it drops one and starts looking for another. That's what I see here....

n8zcc

Premium Subscriber
Turn on CCDUMP to the SD and monitor. If it's checking all sites, you should see it rotating through each CC frequency one after the other in the log. IF you see the same CC frequency (for a given site) over and over and then it switches, this tells you it's sticking on one for a while and then drifting off looking for the next one.

A worthy experiment, should provide information on how the scanner is treating a list of sites. I have the radio set up and running now, I will post the result later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.