Unusual issue with PSR-500 reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
I live in Ashtabula city and naturally have the city PD frequencies loaded into my new PSR-500. For some reason I have not been able to get any traffic for the city PD. I have been able to get traffic for the OSP, EMS, and other local agencies, but not the city PD. My old Bearcat scanner is picking them up just fine. I switched the antennas between both scanners, and also hooked up my outside antenna, but still no reception. Then, by chance, I had just removed the outside antenna and was preparing to connect the rubber antenna and the scanner caught the city PD traffic. So now I could get the city PD traffic without the antenna hooked up, but no other traffic. As soon as I hooked the antenna back on, I lost the city traffic and got all other traffic. What is up with this? Is my radio defective?

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
Not that I am aware of. My other older hand held is pulling their traffic in just fine. The frequencies are the same in both scanners.

troymail

Silent Key
Are the things you are trying to listen to all conventional frequencies (i.e. 154.86 for City police, etc.)? Which frequencies are you receiving and/or not receiving? It doesn't sound like a defective radio if you're getting some frequencies but not others and they are "close" (i.e. all VHF, etc.)

Did you manually program the radio or use a program like Win500?

Folks can help but we could use a little more info....

JoeyC

Well that was the first thing that came to mind since you said you had an old Bearcat scanner that picked it up just fine. Many old Bearcat scanners didn't utilize tone squelch codes.

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about not giving enough info. Since this is new to me I don't know what is needed. Thank you for having the patience to help me work through this. I have attached a screen shot of my Conventional frequencies loaded on the scanner. I am using ARC500 software, and imported all frequencies from Radio Reference directly to the software, then into the scanner. The frequencies I do not receive (unless antenna is disconnected) are the "AshCityPD" channels. I receive other frequencies listed,like the "ACFire" "OrwellFD" "ACSO". If i can provide other usefull info, please let me know and I'll do my best.

Attachments

• ARC500 screen shot.jpg
    ARC500 screen shot.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 396

troymail

Silent Key
I agree with Joey -- try removing the CTCSS / PL tones and see if you hear anything.

And/or -- maybe just try to manually enter (through the radio keypad) one of the frequencies - just the frequency - see if that works.

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
Will do. I'll update as soon as I have some results. Thanx again for your help!!

JoeyC

If that turns out to be the problem, set your SQ code field to SEARCH and get the proper code then submit the changes to the database so that no one else will have the problem.

Pap

While you are scanning the channels that do come in. Try turning your attenuator on. They may be overloading. See what happens when you do that.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
All of the above are good suggestions. If none solve the problem, confirm you have assigned the frequencies to the correct scanlist and make sure you have turned that list on.

Edit: After rethinking your problem, I am thinking the attennuator as Pap has said. You said the signal came in when you had the antenna unplugged. The ATT could be your problem. Try selecting that on and see what happens.

Last edited:

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
I'll be doing all of the suggestions as soon as I can get back to my scanner. I had an unexpected trip laid in my lap, so it may take me a couple days to get a chance to try these out. I feel much better knowing it's not a defective scanner! It seems to be a matter of proper tuning. Whew!!! These new scanners are a handful to learn!!! The software definitely helps with programming.

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
Update! I was finally able to receive the "problem" frequencies! I tried several different settings until my last settings did the trick. I set SQ Mode to "None" and Attenuator to "On" . This worked. I tried different settings, like simply turning Attenuator on with no other changes...no joy. Then I tried using "Search" in the SQ Mode with & without Attenuator...no joy. Also tried SQ Code in "Search" mode with no joy. Just wanted to let you all know that your suggestions were VERY helpful and thanks to all that tried to help me!!

JoeyC

All other settings the same, having your SQ mode set to None or Search should have no bearing on reception.

roadog1aj

Premium Subscriber
I have no understanding of most of this stuff, but those are the settings that finally worked. If I tried SQ Mode in "Search" all I got was Squelch and could not turn it off with the Squelch adjustment knob. It did not matter if I turned Attenuator on or off. Each time I tried different settings, I would write down what combinations I was testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.