PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
I am a newbie at using Win500 and RadioReference.com
I am trying to upload my first set of frequencies into my scanner I just got today from Ebay.
I paid to join RadioReference for one year and downloaded my county frequencies into a file.
I have uploaded the file and it shows the frequencies when I hit the tab All objects.
However, when I hit the scanner button at the top of Win500 and then the upload button it starts loading but on the screen it shows me only at 84% and I have let it set for a half hour 3 different times and it doesn't go further than that.
Anyone no what I am doing wrong??

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
Current Drivers

No I did not.
I will try that now and see what happens.
Thank you in advance.

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
Newest Drivers?

GRE 100-0016 / 30-3290 USB PC/IF Driver - Windows 7 Download
Description: GRE USB PC/IF Data cable driver. Windows 98/Me, XP/Vista/2000/Windows 7 Drivers. Rev. 1.3a. FTDI Driver ver. 20.06.00 for Models PSR-100/200U/300/400/310/410/500/600/700
Size: 3.07 MB Modified: 07 Jun 2011 10:42 AM Total Downloads: 8301

Still not working.
I went to the site and downloaded the above which is apparently the newest driver.
I unplugged the usb cable, installed the above, and then plugged back in the cable it said installing drivers and then okayed the cable for use.
I then turned on the program and told it to upload the file and still it locks up at 84% :(
I have 14 days to return this scanner, do you think I have a lemon, or am I still doing something wrong??
By the way I have Windows 7 if that is helpful to your answer.

MK

The source of the trouble probably is not the scanner. Try another scanner programming application or use a different computer. If both solutions fail, then something might be wrong with the radio. More than likely this is just a software problem, such as something with Windows or the anti virus application.

You mentioned that the scanner was bought through eBay. Did you buy a new or used radio? If it is a used radio, then there is a stronger case for returning the item.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the cord isn't plugged in all the way to the scanner. You're not plugging into the top earbud port are you? Use the port on the side pc/if. Check everything again, does the scanner screen change during the load attempt? Is there another scanner plugged into the pc using another usb port? Did you try another usb port? And you didn't hit "Upload to psr 310/410" in win500 did you? Just "Upload to scanner" is what you do for the psr500. Does the "Download from scanner" function work?

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
PSR 500 Woes

MK,

Yes I did buy this scanner used, $500 is too pricey for me right now.
Got it for about half price.
What other program should I try that works with RadioReference, since I just paid them $30??

737Mech

In answer to your questions:
The cord is in all the way.
I am using the side pc/if port.
Yes the scanner screen changes goes like gangbusters loading everything up to either 83 or 84% and then it stops and goes no further.
There is no other scanner attached, however if I get this one done I also bought a RS 404 about 6 months ago that I also want to program, once I learn how to use this software stuff. (I am old school and always just keyed in everything in the past, although I understand this is almost impossible with the trunking systems now).
I just now tried a new usb port with the same result 84%.
Yes I used the upload to scanner feature and not the psr 310/410 toggle.
The download from scanner feature doesn't work because there is nothing programmed into the scanner at all right now.
MK suggested using another program which other ones work with RadioReference, or should Win500 be working just fine?
It does seem to work as far as it imported all the files I want from the RadioReference site, but it just won't place them on the scanner. :(

737mech

Premium Subscriber
MK,

Yes I did buy this scanner used, $500 is too pricey for me right now.
Got it for about half price.
What other program should I try that works with RadioReference, since I just paid them $30??

737Mech

In answer to your questions:
The cord is in all the way.
I am using the side pc/if port.
Yes the scanner screen changes goes like gangbusters loading everything up to either 83 or 84% and then it stops and goes no further.
There is no other scanner attached, however if I get this one done I also bought a RS 404 about 6 months ago that I also want to program, once I learn how to use this software stuff. (I am old school and always just keyed in everything in the past, although I understand this is almost impossible with the trunking systems now).
I just now tried a new usb port with the same result 84%.
Yes I used the upload to scanner feature and not the psr 310/410 toggle.
The download from scanner feature doesn't work because there is nothing programmed into the scanner at all right now.
MK suggested using another program which other ones work with RadioReference, or should Win500 be working just fine?
It does seem to work as far as it imported all the files I want from the RadioReference site, but it just won't place them on the scanner. :(

I agree with mk, lets find out if it's s/w or hardware. Exactly post the part number of the USB cord you are using. Blue dongle right? GRE 30-3290? Ok then, try the read from option even if there's nothing on the scanner, that should put a empty file on the win500 with a tab on top labeled "From Scanner" Try that let me know.

scosgt

Since you bought it used, there are probably systems already programmed in. Your programming may be exceeding the capacity of the scanner,
So FIRST, do a reset (it should be in the manual, i don't have one of those so I don't know how).
Second, if it still stops loading, edit out about 25% of what you are trying to load and see if it all goes in.
This really sounds like an error in what you are trying to load.

TES

. . . However, when I hit the scanner button at the top of Win500 and then the upload button it starts loading but on the screen it shows me only at 84% and I have let it set for a half hour 3 different times and it doesn't go further than that.
Anyone no what I am doing wrong??

I have an idea what the problem is. Take a look at Don Starr's 31 May 2009 comment .

HTH!

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
Orange Radio Shack USB Cable

I was given an orange radio shack usb cable with the PSR 500 radio it is Cat No: 20-047 but it has a sticker on it saying 05A09.
I did try resetting the scanner.
I then tried downloading from the scanner and it came up empty.
I am now getting ready to download one of the other programs.

scosgt

Well, there is your answer:

The "upload stops at XX% on the scanner" problem is generally due to having an older version of CPU firmware in the scanner. GRE made a change a while back that allows PC apps to run full speed on upload. Win500 presumes you've installed a CPU firmware update that incorporates this change.

Your options are:
a. install the latest firmware from GRE (if PSR-500/600) or RadioShack (if PRO-106/197).
b. select "extra write time" in Win500's Serial Configuration dialog (this requires that you use the "COM port" version of Win500, rather than the direct-to-USB-Cable version)

scosgt

Since it sounds like you may not have a COM port, you need to update the CPU.

TES

I was given an orange radio shack usb cable with the PSR 500 radio it is Cat No: 20-047 but it has a sticker on it saying 05A09.

You haven't mentioned updating the scanner's firmware. That's what the post I referred you to suggests (option a.). Added information: Don Starr wrote the firmware for the GRE PSR-500 family of scanners. It's likely no one on the planet has more knowledge of the inner workings of these scanners than Mr. Starr!

Last edited:

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Get Blue 30-3290

Was gonna tell you wrong cable, tried twice with orange cable and it works??? How big is the file you are trying to load? Now I'm thinking you need to explore what drivers are needed for 20-047 not the blue one? Not sure 100% if the GRE driver for Blue is same or as good as RS 20-047 driver? Hopefully somebody here knows? Oh wait,, duh... Read the post above, update firmwares on the scanner first.

Last edited:

TES

Please refer to this page at the StarrSoft site, particularly the part that states

"GRE offers a direct USB-Scanner programming cable, GRE part number 30-3290. This cable is highly recommended.

The same cable is available from RadioShack as RS catalog #20-047. The only difference between the GRE and RadioShack versions is the color."

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
Firmware update, but no scanning.

Everyone of you are correct! :)
I had to do a firmware update and let it know that my serial port was Com3.
I then uploaded the file and it said 100%!!!
It shows the first frequency in the list on the scanner, but then when I press scan it says "nothing enabled"
So what do I have to do to get the scanner scanning my list it uploaded??

corsairnc

Premium Subscriber
Diplomatic

I try to treat everyone the same as I want to be treated which is with respect.
Everyone is a newbie at something and everyone has to learn how to do something the first time.
I just need to learn how to program this new scanner, so I won't be a newbie anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.