G&G communications repaired my radio!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stavro35

I am very happy man! I sent my GRE PSR 500 off for repair February 8th 2014 and it arrived back in my hands March 31st . It had fallen out of it's carrying case, and appeared to sustain minor cosmetic damage . Of all days for it to stop working, February 5th 2014 .. the day of the Seattle Seahawks Super bowl parade. I didn't realize it wasn't working until I was on the ferry to Seattle. And I couldn't go back home to get another radio! :( .

O.k so looking at the invoice. The biggest part of the bill was $50.00 for labor. & 13.15 for priority shipping.

Parts were cheap!
Mini smd resister $1.00
capacitor $1.00
choke $1.00
RF Diode $1.25
And as mentioned above $50.00 labor. I don't know how? But he was also able to repair the cosmetic damage to the radio. It looks brand new!

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear that G & G is still in business. He has been around forever, and has always been very fair in his pricing. If at all possible he will try to repair your scanner, even some of the older models.

I am very happy man! I sent my GRE PSR 500 off for repair February 8th 2014 and it arrived back in my hands March 31st . It had fallen out of it's carrying case, and appeared to sustain minor cosmetic damage . Of all days for it to stop working, February 5th 2014 .. the day of the Seattle Seahawks Super bowl parade. I didn't realize it wasn't working until I was on the ferry to Seattle. And I couldn't go back home to get another radio! :( .

O.k so looking at the invoice. The biggest part of the bill was $50.00 for labor. & 13.15 for priority shipping.

Parts were cheap!
Mini smd resister $1.00
capacitor $1.00
choke $1.00
RF Diode $1.25
And as mentioned above $50.00 labor. I don't know how? But he was also able to repair the cosmetic damage to the radio. It looks brand new!

Can you give me the address to this G and G repair? I need to send in also

BITT211

G&g communications .com

contact name -jerry , real nice to deal with , does great work , fair prices , been around for a long time, leroy , ny , about 40 miles east of buffalo

Ed6698

I had a old Uniden BC200XLT repaired about 6 months ago by G&G. Replaced a SMD transistor, regulator IC, and 2 capacitor low profile, resolder antenna connection and cleaned the keyboard for $51.25, $40 of that was for labor. The radio works like new again. I would recommend G&G for scanner radio repairs.

I had a old Uniden BC200XLT repaired about 6 months ago by G&G. Replaced a SMD transistor, regulator IC, and 2 capacitor low profile, resolder antenna connection and cleaned the keyboard for $51.25, $40 of that was for labor. The radio works like new again. I would recommend G&G for scanner radio repairs.

Thanks guys, my psr 500 has very low volume for some reason. Cant hear it receive hardly. Talked to a place that told me if was major the parts are hard to come by. It powers up and scans so you wouldn't think it was major.

Parts were cheap!
Mini smd resister $1.00
capacitor $1.00
choke $1.00
RF Diode $1.25

Just under 2 months. Holy Sh*t! Were they on vacation for most of that time? That's ridiculous to replace 4 things.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
G&G is great for repairs and even getting parts for some of the older and current models for those that do their own repairs.
I've never heard anyone have anything but good to say about G&G.

I've only ever purchased parts from Gerry but his company is highly recommended in my eyes.

www.gcomradio.com is the correct site name.
Gerry is a great guy and will give you honest advice.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Re: G&G communications repaired my radio!

Just under 2 months. Holy Sh*t! Were they on vacation for most of that time? That's ridiculous to replace 4 things.

Read the info on his website before you pass judgement. Very busy and basically a one man show so turnaround time might take a bit longer than usual.

kruser

Premium Subscriber

Hmm, I did not notice that and don't think it is normal at all. I've always received very fast service from Gerry. Well, I should say parts as I do my own repairs.
I'm not sure but he could be a one man shop these days with a giant backlog. That's why I got out of doing repairs myself because I could simply not keep up with it.
I have a real day job that I love and repair work was started more for my friends only but word travelled fast. Before I knew it, I was doing repairs for a lot of people I did not know and was working some nights until it was almost time to go to my real job the next morning. No or very little time for family otherwise I'd start ticking off customers even though I had a disclaimer that this was a side business and I only had a few hours each night for repair work.
Most understood but I ended it before it got out of hand any further.
I could have made a lot more money doing repairs but like I said, I love my day job of 35 years so I had to make a decision and decided to abandon my side business of repair work for most. Friends still get me though!

edit: There ya go, mule1075 pretty much confirmed my feelings that Gerry was providing this service by himself alone these days!

Stavro35

I was o.k with the wait time. I am a photographer, also a one man show. I do things right, or don't do it at all. I probably would have cried a lot had this happened to me in the summer months, especially around Seafair time.

dkf435

You ever do component level repair?? Any place else would of been new board......well wait where do the new boards come from now???

Finding 4 cracked parts on a board is fun, try it.

David Kb7uns

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Repair of GRE

Since Whistler hasn't come out & stated whether they will be providing support for the rebranded GRE radios, this is great news. Well, if they have announced such, I'm not aware of it.

I've been worrying what would happen if my BNC went south again. $50.00 is cheap considering GRE wanted more money for their repairs.

I will file this for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

SCPD

QRT
Whistler

I spoke to one of the reps at Whister and they said no support for the GRE scanners,but they will be
having a trade up program for any scanner,I would assume a lower model radio would assume a lower value
received to the customer and a higher better scanner a better value.I wouldnt expect to get $300 for a 400 dollar scanner,guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.