GRE 500 Firmware version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwayne0564

Hello,

I have a GRE 500 that I am running the 2.1 version and I think that is my issue with my garbled reception, I currently live in a area of P25ii that they rebroadcast on the 800 band. I have a Pro 197 that is fine, it is running 2.0 , is there anyway I can go back to the 2.0 , since I don't have it on the scanner and GRE website, ( which I was surprised the Firmware page was up) only has 2.1

Thanks

ScannerSK

Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will e-mail CPUUpdater_PSR-500-600_U2.0 to you.

I'm interested if version 2.0 helps as I may like to revert as well if it helps in P25 reception.

Shawn

Swipesy

Hello,

I have a GRE 500 that I am running the 2.1 version and I think that is my issue with my garbled reception, I currently live in a area of P25ii that they rebroadcast on the 800 band. I have a Pro 197 that is fine, it is running 2.0 , is there anyway I can go back to the 2.0 , since I don't have it on the scanner and GRE website, ( which I was surprised the Firmware page was up) only has 2.1

Thanks

I highly doubt that reverting to Firmware 2.0 will solve your issue. Be sure, before you start messing around with your firmware that you are running Firmware 2.1 and DSP 1.4. Up here in the Cleveland area we have 3 P-25 systems and the PSR 500 running 2.1 &1.4 does very well. If you are using a rubber duck antenna sometimes just moving the scanner a couple of feet makes a difference.

If you don't get the earlier firmware file and corresponding DSP files you cam PM me and I will setup a download site that you can get the files.

By the way, there are different update versions you should use depending on what Boot Version your scanner is running (Prior to 1.4 and 1.4 and later).

Last edited:

Mike_G_D

Also the OP mentioned he had a PSR500 and a PRO-197; while both are GRE made the firmware is slightly different and not compatible between the two. I think the Radio Shack branded firmware is slightly behind the GRE firmware version number-wise.

-Mike

dwayne0564

Just seems odd, that both radio's are side by side, and the pro 197 receives fine, and the GRE 500 is garbled, both programmed by same software, have changed antenna's on GRE 500 moved scanner, nothing makes a difference. Had seen a post from someone else in this area, on a different forum, and had the same issue, he had no answers either

ScannerSK

I am curious what your two scanners show when you hold down the number "3" and turn on each scanner?

uP Appl Ver: (This is the CPU application/firmware version)
DSP App Ver: (This is the DSP firmware version)
DSP Voc Ver: (This is the DSP Vocoder version)

I downgraded to CPU firmware version 2.0 while leaving DSP at version 1.4 however had no way to test if the scanner was decoding any better or not so upgraded back to CPU firmware version 2.1.

If you do try CPU firmware version 2.0 I would be curious if it helps or not as something is making a difference!

I wonder if the Vocoder would make the difference? I believe this refers to physical hardware in the scanner so is not capable of being upgraded.

Also, have you verified both scanners have the same "Expert Settings" (view by pressing Program, Function, F3)?

Shawn

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.