WS1080 on Win 8 / 8.1 driver instructions

Status
Not open for further replies.

baayers

The instructions below were originally posted a couple of years ago by MORSEMAN but I modified them for the WS1080 since the driver signature issue still exists. It might be worth stickying this for a while since it will be in the hands of a lot of new users in the near future and a newer firmware is already out.

1-When you are signed in to Windows 8 / 8.1 as Administrator connect the WS1080. It will then attempt to load the driver and appear to succeed but the driver will not be working at that point. Even though the serial driver is not correctly installed you will still see the scanners MicroSD card.

2-Copy the INF folder from the WS1080 to a folder on your computer

3-In Windows 8.0 While on the start load the Charms Bar by pointing the mouse at the upper right hand corner of the screen.

4-Select Power and hit restart while holding down the Shift key.

5-A selection of Troubleshooting options will come up, select the Troubleshoot option

6-Another page will appear, select Advanced Options.

7-The next page will display several repair options, Select the Startup Settings to change the behavior of Windows Startup and then click restart on the next page.

8- A menu with 9 selections will appear. Select #7 or F7 to disable Driver Signature enforcement.

9 Windows 8 will restart.

10-With the WS1080 still connected open Device Manager from the Control Panel. Select the Com port assigned to the 1080 and select Update Driver.

11-Select Browse and point it to the .inf file located within the INF folder you copied from the 1080.

12-Install this Driver. An alert screen will pop up to warn you that this is an unsigned driver, Select install anyway. This will load the unsigned driver and allow it to work with EZScan

13-Check to see if it is working by Starting EZScan and selecting Scanner SD Card and select to set the Real Time Clock to Computer time. If it does it successfully you are good to go.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I'm not seeing multiple questions on the subject so I'd say let the users search for the answer.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Sorry, didn't quite fully explain.

We're trying to avoid a lot of Stickies in the forums so I'd rather not sticky this.

What we can do, is put a link to the thread in the archived stickies thread.

baayers

Sorry, didn't quite fully explain.

We're trying to avoid a lot of Stickies in the forums so I'd rather not sticky this.

What we can do, is put a link to the thread in the archived stickies thread.

Sounds good to me.

My only intent was to help some one who may be running into this for the first time.

Thanks for your help

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
im in the same boat I have ws1080 and windows 8.1 . and I was wondering if someone can tell me where the inf file is ? when I insert my micro sd card and all the folders pop up I went in every folder and didn't see the inf anywhere ???

its stopping from getting updates thanks !

SCPD

QRT
xp

Here is the page on the Whistler website with the instructions baayers posted. Click on the Scanner FAQ link to see them

Whistler Group - FAQ

Mike

That does not work for the 1080 on XP. You need Windows 7 or higher the driver is for 7 -up. Beat that to death all yesterday,I ended up with Windows 7 and now it works by itself.

mikeshepard

Just got a new laptop with Win 8. I'm sure this is aa dumb question, but where is the INF folder located? I don not show such a folder or file when I look at the scanner in explorer.

jamesmccarty

Premium Subscriber
Just got a new laptop with Win 8. I'm sure this is aa dumb question, but where is the INF folder located? I don not show such a folder or file when I look at the scanner in explorer.

Hi Mike.

I don't see a response to your message. In checking my WS1080 I have an INF folder off of the root of the memory card.

Attachments

• WS1080_INF.jpg
    WS1080_INF.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,127

tlangshaw

Premium Subscriber
Mike, I had to go to whistler site, click on find updates, click on scanner radio, click on WS1080 Deleted/Reformated SD Card EZ scan IS installed on pc. When you scroll down you will see WS 1080 Scanner Drivers, download that and it will be inf. It was not on the root of my memory card either.

baayers

Mike, I had to go to whistler site, click on find updates, click on scanner radio, click on WS1080 Deleted/Reformated SD Card EZ scan IS installed on pc. When you scroll down you will see WS 1080 Scanner Drivers, download that and it will be inf. It was not on the root of my memory card either.

Does anyone know if the drivers on Whistler website are updated and resolve the driver signing issue? I have been wondering this but since I already have the old drivers working you know the saying about not fixing things that are not currently broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.