GRE-made Scanner Firmware Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonS

After seeing multiple threads where people have [sort of] bricked their scanners, I thought I'd put out this little helpful hint:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR SCANNER'S FIRMWARE UNLESS THE SOFTWARE AND/OR UPDATER YOU ARE USING SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO YOUR SCANNER MODEL.

That is, don't try to update a PSR-500 with PRO-652 firmware. Don't try to update a PSR-800 using Whistler WS1080 PC software.

For example, a PSR-500 is very similar to a WS1040. However, "very similar to" does not mean "exactly the same as". The hardware is different. The firmware is different. If, for some weird reason, you try to "update" your PSR-500 with WS1040 firmware, you will succeed only in erasing your PSR-500's firmware. It will then sit there waiting for you to supply a valid PSR-500/600 firmware upload; you'll have to go to the stripped-down GRE America site and retrieve the latest PSR-500/600 firmware.

rfking123

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500

After seeing multiple threads where people have [sort of] bricked their scanners, I thought I'd put out this little helpful hint:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO UPDATE YOUR SCANNER'S FIRMWARE UNLESS THE SOFTWARE AND/OR UPDATER YOU ARE USING SPECIFICALLY REFERS TO YOUR SCANNER MODEL.

That is, don't try to update a PSR-500 with PRO-652 firmware. Don't try to update a PSR-800 using Whistler WS1080 PC software.

For example, a PSR-500 is very similar to a WS1040. However, "very similar to" does not mean "exactly the same as". The hardware is different. The firmware is different. If, for some weird reason, you try to "update" your PSR-500 with WS1040 firmware, you will succeed only in erasing your PSR-500's firmware. It will then sit there waiting for you to supply a valid PSR-500/600 firmware upload; you'll have to go to the stripped-down GRE America site and retrieve the latest PSR-500/600 firmware.
I personally contacted Whistler last week about the 2.8 firmware possibly for the PSR-500. Whistler responded to me via e-mail almost immediately and said this to me in so many words: NO NO NO NO!, the firmware is for the Whistler series only.

DonS

I personally contacted Whistler last week about the 2.8 firmware possibly for the PSR-500. Whistler responded to me via e-mail almost immediately and said this to me in so many words: NO NO NO NO!, the firmware is for the Whistler series only.

Yep. Whistler's firmware won't work with the PSR-500. And the changes Whistler has made don't "improve" a PSR-500. That is, if you have a PSR-500 running CPU firmware 2.1, you have all of the features and bug fixes included in Whistler's 2.8. The differences in firmware only address specific hardware changes - not features or functionality.

OHIOSCAN

Maybe whistlers should think about updating the firmware for the GRE owners to keep people in the family
Even if the update was a small fee-based firmware update.

Mike

TES

Maybe whistlers should think about updating the firmware for the GRE owners to keep people in the family
Even if the update was a small fee-based firmware update.

Mike

My read of Don Starr's posts suggest that there is no point in updating firmware for the GRE-made scanners—unless there have been the "specific hardware changes" he mentions.

Last edited:

DonS

My read of Don Starr's posts suggest that there is no point in updating firmware for the GRE-made scanners—unless there have been the "specific hardware changes" he mentions.
Exactly. However, in case of bug fixes that also apply to the GRE versions (e.g. EDACS patching problem on WS1080 and PSR-800), the GRE versions will likely be updated, as well.

OHIOSCAN

Yes I was referring to the 800, the last patch "beta" was pushed out at the end, I would think that further tightening up of the code is possible. Maybe not but it would sure make 800 owners happy if further improvements where possible.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Thanks DonS. This was a much needed thread (and sticky). Firmware mania for model "x" is always a hot topic. Glad to see some actual reason in this forum. :cool:

DonS

Yes I was referring to the 800, the last patch "beta" was pushed out at the end

The last release for the PSR-800 was version 1.8 on 15 Jan 2013. The "beta" releases (adding and debugging Phase II support) were a bit before that. The 15 Jan release fixed a few problems discovered in the "beta" releases and was, officially, "non-beta". (It also fixed some Radio ID and priority handling.)

The Whistler WS1080 and RS PRO-668 started from that 1.8 non-beta code. All changes to that code have been related to minor hardware differences (i.e. component EOL and a regulatory thing or two). The only changes that a user would notice are related to battery charging (e.g. the WS1080 will charge the batteries while "powered on" - this is due to a hardware change and does not (cannot) apply to the PSR-800).

Basically, a PSR-800 owner who sees that the WS1080 is at "CPU Firmware 2.4" while his PSR-800 is at "CPU Firmware 1.8" isn't missing anything.

The same "you aren't missing anything" also applies to PSR-500 vs. WS1040 firmware.

When the reported EDACS patching bug is verified fixed in the WS1080, there will be new releases for the WS1080 and the PSR-800. The PRO-668 will require the fix, as well, but timing will depend on how quickly RS approves the firmware release. It's unknown if RS will want, much less approve, a fix for the PRO-18.

The fact that there will likely be a PSR-800 release to fix the newly-discovered EDACS patching bug will be because the guy responsible for the code is so nice. He'll be doing it out of the inestimable goodness of his heart; he won't be billing anyone for that time.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I take it that there isnt coding in the updaters that recognizes the radio model so as to only allow the proper model to be updated?

Also what were the differences made from the 2.1 firmware in the rs/gre to the 651/652 , whistler models 2.6/2.8 firmware? Radio specific hardware changes only?

DonS

I take it that there isnt coding in the updaters that recognizes the radio model so as to only allow the proper model to be updated?
There is, but the update process will still erase the scanner's existing firmware. This was known when the update process was devised; it wasn't seen as a big problem because a) we didn't expect people to try to apply incorrect firmware to their radios and b) even if they did, they can still "get their radio back" by applying the correct firmware.

(EDIT: and the reason why the model check doesn't happen earlier - before the "erase" - is due to code size constraints. We were counting bytes.)

Also what were the differences made from the 2.1 firmware in the rs/gre to the 651/652 , whistler models 2.6/2.8 firmware? Radio specific hardware changes only?

All firmware changes from the GRE PSR-500 family to the Whistler-made radios are due to hardware changes (i.e. EOL components that had to be replaced). Whistler's 2.8 firmware for the WS1040/1065 contains no feature changes or bug fixes from the GRE 2.1 firmware for the PSR-500/600.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

T

The fact that there will likely be a PSR-800 release to fix the newly-discovered EDACS patching bug will be because the guy responsible for the code is so nice. He'll be doing it out of the inestimable goodness of his heart; he won't be billing anyone for that time.

He must be a Prince among men.

Thanks Don

gfdfortynine

Hmmmm... One has to wonder when this forum is going to give Whistler its own section that doesn't redirect to GRE. Different hardware and firmware means different scanner right? Might help clear up some confusion.

mlmummert

Hmmmm... One has to wonder when this forum is going to give Whistler its own section that doesn't redirect to GRE. Different hardware and firmware means different scanner right? Might help clear up some confusion.

No, they don't seem to think Whistler rates having its own forum despite there being like 18 Uniden forums. They're just biased against Whistler, that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.