PSR-800: PSR-800 and Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Any "build" users of Windows 10 know if the EZScan software will work ahead of the launch of this OS?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

With like a week until Windows 10 comes out .. this is pretty relevant.

Anyone had the opportunity to test the EZScan software yet (for PSR800/WS-1080/WS-1095) ?

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
No Problems

In the last preview build. In addition to my dev laptop, I am also running in a VirtualBox VM on two different Macs, and have had not one problem.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2,502

SCPD

QRT
Anyone that gets Windows 10 today ..

Please let us all know if you have any problems with your EZScan software after ...

My theory .. if nothing is broken, there is no need to upgrade. It just potentially will break things. Still Undecided.

SCPD

QRT
I have the same problem .. there is no USB driver. Cannot connect via USB.

I do not use USB at all on my 1095 but do on my PSR800 to set the time.
But .. I can manually set the time on the scanner.

However .. the EzScan software works just fine otherwise.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
I have attempted to utilize the "fix" we used in Windows 8/8.1 to no avail. Help

Try this right click on the icon for the program.

Click on properties

Click on compatibility

Where it says compatibility mode

Click on box that says

Run this program in compatibility mode for

Choose windows 8

Click on apply.

Your program should now be working.

radio3353

Try this right click on the icon for the program.

Click on properties

Click on compatibility

Where it says compatibility mode

Click on box that says

Run this program in compatibility mode for

Choose windows 8

Click on apply.

Your program should now be working.

Will this also work substituting 'Windows 7' for 'Windows 8' in your example?

SCPD

QRT
It is not a problem with the EZScan program .. that works fine.

It is the USB driver ..

So .. follow this video on YouTube. My PSR800 is working fine .. with the USB driver installed. So .. the old driver will work.

I have rebooted and tested and all is fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StkR3D2d5WI

The only thing ... the instructions are not 100% perfect, as Windows 10 was just released today. The version in the video is not 100% the same.

The main thing .. you need to get to Troubleshoot / Advanced / Startup Settings / Press 7 for Unsigned Driver and use the old PSR800 inf driver file.

I have attached the PSR800 USB driver .. in case you need it. I have also checked the 1080/1095 driver .. and they should be fine as well. The process would be identical. (This is now confirmed by Don Starr below)

Attachments

• GRECOM_PSR-800.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

DonS

What's utterly stupid is that Whistler (along with GRE before them) is not providing an "unsigned driver".

Whistler provides a .INF file that tells Windows "here is a USB CDC device; when you see this Vendor ID / Product ID, use this Microsoft driver (USBSER.SYS) that's already installed on the system".

The driver (USBSER.SYS) comes from Microsoft as part of the Windows installation. One must presume that it is already "signed" by Microsoft.

SCPD

QRT
What's utterly stupid is that Whistler (along with GRE before them) is not providing an "unsigned driver".

Whistler provides a .INF file that tells Windows "here is a USB CDC device; when you see this Vendor ID / Product ID, use this Microsoft driver (USBSER.SYS) that's already installed on the system".

The driver (USBSER.SYS) comes from Microsoft as part of the Windows installation. One must presume that it is already "signed" by Microsoft.

I had no problems Don on the final production version of Windows 10 released today .... they work just fine. It is not rocket science and I posted the YouTube video to help the people that need it.

DonS

I had no problems Don on the final production version of Windows 10 released today .... they work just fine. It is not rocket science and I posted the YouTube video to help the people that need it.

I understand that there's a workaround.

My point was that such a workaround shouldn't be required. USBSER.SYS is a Microsoft driver supplied by Windows. It's not an "unsigned driver".

The .INF file supplied by Whistler is not a "driver". The driver is the .SYS file. The .INF file merely says "use this Microsoft driver".

SCPD

QRT
I understand that there's a workaround.

My point was that such a workaround shouldn't be required. USBSER.SYS is a Microsoft driver supplied by Windows. It's not an "unsigned driver".

The .INF file supplied by Whistler is not a "driver". The driver is the .SYS file. The .INF file merely says "use this Microsoft driver".

I totally understand what you are saying .. and I agree.

I just tried to just install the INF (after removing the driver from device manager) .. and you get "The third-party INF does not contain driver signature information" when you try to install it. Thus the need for the 'work around' to install it.

Last edited:

DonS

I totally understand what you are saying .. and I agree.

I just tried to just install the INF (after removing it the driver) .. and you get "The third-party INF does not contain driver signature information" when you try to install it. Thus the need for the 'work around' to install it.

That's the stupid part. The .INF file is not the driver. The .INF file merely points to the .SYS file (the driver). The .SYS file comes from Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.