Psr500 wont scAn digital when plugged into car charger???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

I have a very odd problem. My psr500, which has worked flAwlessly for 3 years, has stopped scanning digial systems while plugged into the 12vdc car charger.

Unplug it, and it will scan digital trunked style systems again .

Any ideas? I have radio shacks rechargeable batteries in place. I ve tried removing the pack for a while, reinserting And i still have the sAme problem.

My banks are programmed as a mix of digital and analog systems. Nothing in my programming hS changed.

SCPD

QRT
I would check the voltage that is output.

Because that scanner has 4 batteries .. it should work on 6 volts.

Does it scan analog talkgroups / conventional frequencies while plugged in ?

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I have a couple 2-3 PSR-500s that I bought shortly after they came out and they have slogged through the proverbial `thick & thin'.

According to both the manual, the the original `wallwart', and the annotation on the power jack it uses 9VDC not 12Vdc. For all I know the 3VDC difference *might* have been just enough to have caused the innternal circuitry to go and `take a hike' on you. (Or, if you are lucky enough it may just be something as simple as some sort of fuse/breaker circuit that's protecting the scanner.)

'Course... If you are actually using a `lighter adapter cord' that has built in regulation with the proper polarity then I can't figure out just what your problem could be without actually taking a look at said scanner and wiring.

dizwiz

Ok. I am still having the same problem.

**I changed my wording to better reflect my problem**

Again, My programming is a mix of conventional frequencies and trunked (some analog/some digital) systems - nothing has changed in my programming.

I have tried using the GRE AC/110V adapter (says 9v output) - this does not work either.

It will only scan trunked systems if 'unplugged' from a charger (ie. it cant be plugged into either the GRE-COM or car lighter charger adapter).....

The moment you plug it in and turn it on, it will stop scanning digital systems. It will only scan the non-trunked conventional frequencies.

This is really odd and a real bad problem.

Obviously I cant send it into GRE for warranty or repair. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.