G&G radio repair are studs. Fixed my unusual psr500 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

Wanted to post a positive review for G&G repair in new york.

They successfully fixed my psr500 for a reasonable price.

I had an unusual problem where, while plugged in, it wouldnt scan any trunked systems. It would only scan conventional freq.

Unplug it and it would scan trunked systems (and conventional) just fine.

They figured the problem out and fixed it. I was really worried they wouldnmight know how to fix it but they did.

Again all for a reasonable price.

And thanks to the forum for steering me to such a fine repair service

dizwiz

What did they do ? Reload the firmware ??

No! I already tried that.

They had to replace some parts. There were dc power supply issues - likely damaged by using an improperly advertised car dc adapter that was putting out unregulated (14v ignition on) voltage vs the proper 9v voltage.

So dont trust the amazon dc adapterthat claims it works on the psr500.

DJ11DLN

So don't trust the amazon dc adapterthat claims it works on the psr500.

No one should without checking the actual voltage with a known good meter. The rated output voltage is 9VDC. I'd never trust a "will work" adapter (vs one from Grecom/Whistler/RS intended for the particular model) without checking the output voltage and polarity first. This is basic common sense to protect your expensive radio from over-voltage or inverted polarity.:wink:

DJ11DLN

I got one from RS but I'm not finding it on their website anymore, and I can't find the box mine came in (surprising as I'm a packrat with stuff like that, in case it pukes under warranty) so I can't give you a part number. Likewise the tip, which is sold separately. They do have a variable-output one listed that at 2.5 amps is overkill but it's $20 so not unreasonably priced. You'll need a separate tip, it doesn't appear come with one. Cat #2730893.

There's nothing wrong with budget adapters so long as you verify that they have the required voltage, the polarity is correct, and they produce enough mA's for your gear. Check it under load, some adapters will drop volts even under a mild load. YMMV.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Yes i know. I should have known better that this dc cigarette adapter, advertised for gre psr500 - with positive reviews, would have damaged my scanner.
Amazon.com: UpBright® NEW Car DC Adapter For GRE PSR-500 Handheld Digital APCO-25 Scanner Auto Vehicle Boat RV Camper Cigarette Lighter Plug Power Supply Cord Cable Battery Charger PSU: Cell Phones & Accessories

Trust me i wont be trusting anybody's word again and will test the output voltage.

That said, does anyone know of a dc cigarette lighter that outputs proper 9v dc and wont damage my scanner?

You might wish to post a warning on Amazon as there is already someone claiming it works well with their PSR. I find the quality of virtually every cigarette lighter adapter product is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.