PSR-310 Button Stuck / Water Logged

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septa3371CSX1

Yesterday morning my PSR-310 took a a short tumble into a puddle. The radio was not down for long as I was right there to pick it up and while it powered up some of the buttons weren't working. Shortly thereafter more weren't working and I wasn't able to go into manual mode.

Later that night I took the unit apart to see if any water was in it. I didn't find any but now the Favourites button is seemingly stuck. The physical button isn't stuck but the unit won't leave that option no matter what I do. I imagine something inside is stuck or shorted out. Any idea on how to correct this? I'm unable to do a hard reset of the scanner so I can't try that method (once again can't use any of the keys on power up because of the "stuck key").

ScannerSK

Even the smallest amount of moisture around an IC chip or in the circuit somewhere can cause the radio not to function properly. If it is trapped somewhere it may take days to dry out completely. Best bet is to keep it in a dry environment and hopefully it will start functioning again. If even one button begins to work again soon there is hope for the remaining buttons. It is also possible there was permanent damage done however we can hope this is not the case.

Shawn

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Yesterday morning my PSR-310 took a a short tumble into a puddle. The radio was not down for long as I was right there to pick it up and while it powered up some of the buttons weren't working. Shortly thereafter more weren't working and I wasn't able to go into manual mode.

Later that night I took the unit apart to see if any water was in it. I didn't find any but now the Favourites button is seemingly stuck. The physical button isn't stuck but the unit won't leave that option no matter what I do. I imagine something inside is stuck or shorted out. Any idea on how to correct this? I'm unable to do a hard reset of the scanner so I can't try that method (once again can't use any of the keys on power up because of the "stuck key").

Some folks say that dry (uncooked) white rice grains will absorb water from electronics pretty well. Many swear by it for reviving wet cell phones. Take out the batteries from the scanner, put it in a large zip-lock bag and put a cup or so of rice in with it and seal the bag for a few days. You may want to cover any of the ports with a small piece of tape to prevent rice from getting in.

Septa3371CSX1

Good news - after sitting home all day it appears the problem resolved itself. I thought about the rice solution but wanted to give it some time and see if things changed before I did that.

DJ11DLN

Good news - after sitting home all day it appears the problem resolved itself. I thought about the rice solution but wanted to give it some time and see if things changed before I did that.

Glad you got it working! I just noticed the thread and was going to suggest the rice immersion. I've used it a few times in the past and if the device in question wasn't otherwise damaged, it always worked to get the wet out. The key is to get it shut off & batteries pulled immediately before damage can occur...sometimes immediately isn't quick enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.