PSR600: P2 version?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I would like to update my digital base scanners to Phase 2 soon. Uniden has come out with the 996P2, which would be a direct replacement for my 996XT.

I am trying to figure out which GRE/Whistler model would be the functional equivalent to a "PSR-600P2" if such a unit exists. Does anyone know for sure?

kh11

Premium Subscriber
WS1095 and 1098 are the Whistler base/mobiles that do Phase 2. (The only real difference between them is the 1098 has a keypad.)

DJ11DLN

PSR-600 = WS-1065 (or RS Pro-652) but you won't get Phase II with them, they lack the hardware necessary for p.2 decode.

Unless Whistler decides to retool them the way Uniden did the 996xt...

plato

PSR-500 & 600 P2

Before GRE went under, they were suppose to do the above! The model number was suppose to be PSR-1000. It never happened!! I would be the first in line to buy both!!! ( Hand held and mobile) Both( PSR-500 & 600) are great radios!!! I hope Whistler reads this and acts!! Plato!!

QDP2012

I hope Whistler reads this and acts!!

Since this thread is basically discussing future Whistler designs, I asked the moderators to move it to the Whistler forum. Hopefully, Whistler staff will find it there.

Hope this helps,

DJ11DLN

if Whistler would produce a 600 clone with phase 2 capability I'd be the first in line to purchase it.
I would be right behind you. Mine are all the RS versions (because I got 'em all at very good prices) but my 197 and 651 do a better job with the local Mot2 mixed system than my Pro-18 & 668 do. They seem to catch more traffic and as has been mentioned the audio and decode quality are top-notch. The newer radios just don't seem to have it. I like the remote head of the 1095/1098, but if it was a choice between one of those and a Phase 2-capable 1065, it wouldn't take me a second to choose the latter.

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
I would like to inquire if my PSR-600 is phase 2 capable right out of the box, my county (La Porte County) Indiana just switched over to digital and my audio is choppy or scrambled whatever you want to call it. No problems in getting in Indiana State Police, all clear. Is there a setting I should change maybe when I put the frequencies in with WIN 500?

ecps92

No the 600 never was Phase 2 and is a no-longer supported Radio as GRE went out of Business. Whistler has a look-a-like to the 600 under their brand

PSR-600 - The RadioReference Wiki
WS1065 - The RadioReference Wiki

Look here for the scanners that support Phase 2
APCO Project 25 - The RadioReference Wiki

I would like to inquire if my PSR-600 is phase 2 capable right out of the box, my county (La Porte County) Indiana just switched over to digital and my audio is choppy or scrambled whatever you want to call it. No problems in getting in Indiana State Police, all clear. Is there a setting I should change maybe when I put the frequencies in with WIN 500?

N8IAA

So my Whistler WS-1040 cannot do phase II either right, I wonder if I can have those 2 rebanded?

Without saying what you're monitoring, such as the statewide system, no one can help. The statewide system is Phase I, not Phase II.
If you're trying to monitor the DMR system, you are out of luck. Most likely simulcast distortion.
Oh, the GRE models 500/600 don't require any rebanding. That issue was fixed back when those scanners came out. This includes the 1040 you have which is second generation.
Larry

troymail

Silent Key

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
I reprogrammed both of mine with a wildcard and somewhat receive my new county system, but receive isn't perfect. What scanner master replied to me on this issue as well.

Sorry, those only handle Phase 1. Many systems listed as Phase 2 actually operate in Phase 1 mode, check RadioReference.com. If the talkgroup is listed as a "T" then it is Phase 2, if it is listed as "D" then it is operating in Phase 1.

Thank you,

Scanner Master Support

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
My county is phase II just went into effect yesterday. Indiana and simulcast

I reprogrammed both of mine with a wildcard and somewhat receive my new county system, but receive isn't perfect. What scanner master replied to me on this issue as well.

Sorry, those only handle Phase 1. Many systems listed as Phase 2 actually operate in Phase 1 mode, check RadioReference.com. If the talkgroup is listed as a "T" then it is Phase 2, if it is listed as "D" then it is operating in Phase 1.

Thank you,

Scanner Master Support

troymail

Silent Key
My county is phase II just went into effect yesterday. Indiana and simulcast

Thank you,

Scanner Master Support

Scanner Master is correct - many systems are labeled Phase 2 but meaning only that they are "Phase 2 compliant" verse actually operating in Phase 2 mode. While some are really partially or fully Phase 2, many are labeled Phase 2 but fully operating as Phase 1.

Having said that -- and as Larry has asked previously -- which system are you referring to? Did La Porte County just turn on a brand new system?

sterlingcat12001

Premium Subscriber
This is from my sheriff yesterday

18 months of planning, coordinating, testing and studies have come to fruition this morning when La Porte County emergency services transitioned to our new 800 MHz communication system. So far so good.
For those who have scanners at home, you will need an 800 MHz P25 Phase 2 scanner to be able to monitor EMS, fire and law enforcement radio traffic.

RR site states LP County simulcast

troymail

Silent Key
This is from my sheriff yesterday

18 months of planning, coordinating, testing and studies have come to fruition this morning when La Porte County emergency services transitioned to our new 800 MHz communication system. So far so good.
For those who have scanners at home, you will need an 800 MHz P25 Phase 2 scanner to be able to monitor EMS, fire and law enforcement radio traffic.

RR site states LP County simulcast

Just looked and found this:

https://forums.radioreference.com/indiana-radio-discussion-forum/359604-laporte-county.html

Post #10 says:

"They are switching at 0600. It is not phase 2, they are using safe-t which is phase 1."

EDIT: The article (http://www.heraldargus.com/news/dis...cle_6b41b406-79e6-5021-af5d-fe05e47aa059.html) mentions that folks should get a "P25 Phase 2 capable scanner" but that doesn't necessarily mean it's Phase 2 - it's just a recommendation as best I can tell.

Last edited:

N8IAA

Thank you,

Scanner Master Support

You still haven't stated what system you are monitoring. Is it Laporte on the Indiana statewide system? Or, is it a BRAND NEW system? Please be specific. There are TGID's showing DE, which is the new way the database shows an encrypted TG. Neither of the radios will mute encryption, which sounds all garbled.
Just saying.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.