Firmware update

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad1b

I am new to digital scanners and am looking for help in updating my Firmware on my Pro106.
I am not sure how to update it and dont want to screw op my scanner any help would be fantastic.

Scott

ScannerSK

Hello,

Most likely you do not need to update your firmware.

The last firmware made for the PRO-106 that I am aware of is CPU version 2.1. You can check to see what version firmware you have by holding down the number "3" key when you turn on the scanner. If the "uP Appl Ver" is not 2.1 then there is an upgrade available for your scanner.

If you need a copy of the upgrade file send me your e-mail via a private post and I'll e-mail it to you. The file will walk you through upgrading your scanner.

Shawn

dwh367

I just bought and updated a Pro-106 over the weekend. The latest CPU version is 2.1 and the latest DSP version is 1.4. Follow the link above and download the file that is the 2nd up from the bottom. It redirects to a Dropbox account. Just run the files and follow the included directions and you shouldn't have a problem. I didn't have any issues at all with my updates.

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
Does My PSR500 Scanner Need an Update?

Do I need to update my GRE PSR-500 scanner.

Showes.

uP Boot Ver:1.0
uP Appl Ver: 1.8

QDP2012

Do I need to update my GRE PSR-500 scanner.

Showes.

uP Boot Ver:1.0
uP Appl Ver: 1.8

"Need to" ?
That's up to you to decide. If your scanner works just fine for the systems that you monitor, then you don't "need to" upgrade. I know several Pro106 owners who have never upgraded the firmware (from uP Ver 1.6, AppVer 1.3, VocVer 1.0) because the scanners do just fine for the systems they monitor. (Pro 106/197 and GRE 500/600 are the same scanners basically; though they have different and not interchangeable firmware files)

"Can you"?
You certainly can if you wish, as mentioned in the posts above. An option you might consider, is to acquire the firmware files now while they are still available, so that you can upgrade in the future if you find that you later "need to".

Some other threads have discussed the changes that the firmware makes, and whether or not the upgrade improved (or hurt) the scanner's performance. Maybe they will help you determine whether you "need to" for the systems that you monitor.

Caution
If you do choose to upgrade, be sure to get the correct file for your scanner. DonS explains in this thread that If you use the wrong file, the scanner likely will become a useless "brick".

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As the GRE American website is, I believe, kaput, about the only places to get a firmware fix would be the PSR500 Yahoo group or if someone put it in a dropbox account of some kind.

Since you asked this in another thread, I'll just mention that the same answer applies to updating the PSR-800

Mike

SCPD

QRT
"Need to" ?
That's up to you to decide.

Caution
If you do choose to upgrade, be sure to get the correct file for your scanner. DonS explains in this thread that If you use the wrong file, the scanner likely will become a useless "brick".

Hope this helps,

First .. yes, they can do it .. if they so desire.

I think that you are confused .. it is not possible to actually brick these scanners by putting the wrong firmware into it. You just have to put the right one in.

QDP2012

I think that you are confused .. it is not possible to actually brick these scanners by putting the wrong firmware into it. You just have to put the right one in.

True; I was. I misinterpreted the seriousness of using the wrong firmware. I just went back to the linked thread and re-read what Don S posted, and you are correct. He stated that someone can "get the scanner back" by installing the correct firmware. That's a good point to have clarified, at least in my mind.

Thanks for catching my mistake. Sorry for any confusion. Don S's post is the best source. I should have re-read its details before my previous post.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.