Whistler WS-1040 Scanner help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trlydon88

Hello..

I monitor our local bus company on my scanner, but don't pick them up that well. Sometimes, I will hear the bus to bus talk, but mostly I just hear base without my squelch on.

In order to get the drivers, I need to have my squelch turned down so I hear the annoying noise it makes.

I was wondering if there was a way I could make it so I can get everything without the squelch on.

Thank you!!!

trlydon88

The frequencies is 155.295 MgH. When you turn the squelch on, it has a noise and when someone talks, you can still hear them. I don't have the noise if my squelch knob is up far enough.

rwier

Hello..

I monitor our local bus company on my scanner, but don't pick them up that well. Sometimes, I will hear the bus to bus talk, but mostly I just hear base without my squelch on.

In order to get the drivers, I need to have my squelch turned down so I hear the annoying noise it makes.

I was wondering if there was a way I could make it so I can get everything without the squelch on.

Thank you!!!

If that is a simple analog system with no repeaters, there is probably a strong "distance" component to your listening success (effects the mobile units). The times you hear the mobile units, they are probably within a mile or on top of a hill.

N8IAA

Hello..

Thank you!!!

Did you ever get the antenna jack fixed? Could be why you're not getting the best reception. Maybe a bigger antenna, external antenna?
Larry

ScannerSK

It sounds as if some type of interference is present on that frequency.

Enter the frequency in tune mode and see if a CT: code appears on the screen while the base is talking and also while the mobiles are talking. If a code appears, enter this CT code as part of the frequency you monitor. This will eliminate the unwanted noise between conversations and allow you to turn the squelch down.

Shawn

trlydon88

It sounds as if some type of interference is present on that frequency.

Enter the frequency in tune mode and see if a CT: code appears on the screen while the base is talking and also while the mobiles are talking. If a code appears, enter this CT code as part of the frequency you monitor. This will eliminate the unwanted noise between conversations and allow you to turn the squelch down.

Shawn

When base and mobiles are speaking, the CT code comes up at 167.9

How would I put it in tune mode? And how do I put the CT code in?

Thank you!

Teddy

ScannerSK

When base and mobiles are speaking, the CT code comes up at 167.9

How would I put it in tune mode? And how do I put the CT code in?

Thank you!

Teddy

Go into edit mode for that channel (find your channel and hit "EDIT" and then hit "CURR"). Go down to the "Sq Mode" setting and set it to "CTCSS". And then go down to the "CTCSS Hz" and set it to 167.9 and then select "SAVE".

Shawn

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Adding CTCSS will not improve reception. It will just keep out other users on the same frequency who use another (or no) CTCSS.

As mentioned in reply #4, if this is a simplex system it is normal for you to only hear the base reliably, as their antenna is going to be at some elevated location (or on a tower), whereas the buses are just at bus-height level. When a bus is behind a hill or other obstruction, you aren't going to hear them reliably.

Looking at their license information, I see only one frequency licensed for them, which strongly points to this being a simplex system.

trlydon88

Adding CTCSS will not improve reception. It will just keep out other users on the same frequency who use another (or no) CTCSS.

As mentioned in reply #4, if this is a simplex system it is normal for you to only hear the base reliably, as their antenna is going to be at some elevated location (or on a tower), whereas the buses are just at bus-height level. When a bus is behind a hill or other obstruction, you aren't going to hear them reliably.

Looking at their license information, I see only one frequency licensed for them, which strongly points to this being a simplex system.
Okay, thank you!!!

After adding the CTCSS, Base isn't even coming in good. They keep on cutting out.

Thank you for your help.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
That could be another downside for CTCSS on a weak signal. If the signal is not strong enough for the scanner to detect the CTCSS, then you get nothing.

The solution for getting more bus traffic is to get your antenna as high as possible. The main factor in how far a signal can be received from is not typically power. It is height of the antennas.

ScannerSK

Okay, thank you!!!

After adding the CTCSS, Base isn't even coming in good. They keep on cutting out.

Thank you for your help.

If the CTCSS tone is weak on the transmission then the base may cut in and out. To fix this try the following: Go into the advanced edit mode by pressing "PGM" "FUNC" "GLOB/F3". Go down to the "HD5 Fade" menu item and change the value to at least 2000 (2 seconds). If it already set to 2000 then try 5000 (5 seconds). This controls how long the squelch will remain open after losing detection of the CTCSS tone.

If this works it will help reception in that you can set the squelch lower which will allow conversations to be received that would have not been received previously due to the higher squelch setting. Of course, a better antenna along with using the CTCSS tone is probably the best course of action.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.