Can't update firmware on PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I'm using a PSR-800 with CPU Firmware version 1.9, and EZ Scan software version 1.09. Update says there's a CPU Firmware version 2.0 available (June 2015). When I click "Update My Scanner", it says, "Entering update mode (Waiting for scanner)..." After a couple of minutes, a window pops up that says "No scanner found....unable to confirm the scanner has entered update mode".

This is on a laptop using Windows XP. Yet I can successfully upload and download to the scanner, as well as set the real time clock with the software, but no firmware updating.

I have the exact same issue on a PC running Windows 10. With Windows 10, I followed the instructions found in this forum regarding disabling the verification for unsigned drivers, etc. and while I can now set the clock and upload and download to the radio, I still can't update the firmware using either Windows 10 or Windows XP. The sotftware doesn't see the scanner.

BTW, I have tried this with the scanner turned of and also turned on, which is the correct method? Either way, it doesn't work.

N8IAA

I'm using a PSR-800 with CPU Firmware version 1.9, and EZ Scan software version 1.09. Update says there's a CPU Firmware version 2.0 available (June 2015). When I click "Update My Scanner", it says, "Entering update mode (Waiting for scanner)..." After a couple of minutes, a window pops up that says "No scanner found....unable to confirm the scanner has entered update mode".

This is on a laptop using Windows XP. Yet I can successfully upload and download to the scanner, as well as set the real time clock with the software, but no firmware updating.

I have the exact same issue on a PC running Windows 10. With Windows 10, I followed the instructions found in this forum regarding disabling the verification for unsigned drivers, etc. and while I can now set the clock and upload and download to the radio, I still can't update the firmware using either Windows 10 or Windows XP. The sotftware doesn't see the scanner.

BTW, I have tried this with the scanner turned of and also turned on, which is the correct method? Either way, it doesn't work.

Off is the correct way. When you connect the scanner to the USB port, make sure the scanner is OFF, and then start the program. I get a beep on my Win7 PC. That lets me know that the scanner is connected to the software. All downloads are done with the scanner OFF. This includes updating the SD card.
HTH,
Larry

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

With the scanner off and disconnected from the USB, press and hold the Menu key. Plug the scanner into the computer while still holding the Menu key. Release the Menu key and the CPU update screen should appear on the scanner. Run the firmware update and make sure the right COM port is selected.

73 Eric

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Eric, this did the trick. I don't recall pressing the menu key for updates I did previously; I guess for some reason this time the software couldn't get the radio to go into the update mode.

richrisdon

Premium Subscriber
I tried to update the Firmware and get the following Screen UP Boot Ver:F1.0 UP App Ver: None CPU SW Upgrade: Waiting for USB

the cable is connected but nothing is responding. how can I get out of this Mode the Scanner is still on a white screen nothing wants to respond

Last edited:

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You either have a bad usb cable...try a NEW one or You have a comport driver issues, remove and reinstall the comport driver for your scanner model. I recommend doing this with a windows 7 computer.

astro4000

Premium Subscriber
Firmware upgrade

I tried all the above and still scanner not found even with different PC's.
States "Waiting for USB" all the time when hold menu and insert usb. PC acknowledges usb connection and I even lowered the FIFO settings on the com port. Different cables. DSP updates no problem.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I tried all the above and still scanner not found even with different PC's.
States "Waiting for USB" all the time when hold menu and insert usb. PC acknowledges usb connection and I even lowered the FIFO settings on the com port. Different cables. DSP updates no problem.

Is this a stock scanner or has it been hacked? and what operating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.