PSR-800: Whistler Upgrade Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssinglet

Just got a email from Whistler about my GRE 800 DMR upgrade:

Hello,

You have a package on the way with your updated unit, but we wanted to get these back to you so quickly that we left out the instruction sheet from your return package. Please see the instructions below for you to use when you get your unit back.

1) Download the WS1080 EZ Scan Programming software from www.whistlergroup.com and install
2) Check for PC app update
3) Check for CPU update
4) Check for DSP update
5) Copy Configuration from Scanner Memory/SD card
6) From the Global Settings tab > Click on Restore Factory Defaults (Resets global values to match scanner)
7) From the Advanced Features tab > Display Options > Click on Signal Bar Default Values button for the desired model
8) Set user selectable options in the Whistler EZ Scan handheld Digital PC app as desired
9) Check for Library Update and update to the latest file then Copy new library files to your Scanner SD card
10) Copy Configuration To Scanner Memory/SD Card

Your Scanner upgrade is now complete and up to date; please use the Whistler EZ Scan Handheld Digital PC app

Whistler

And then I got the USPS Priority Mail Tracking Number in a following email.

IowaGuy1603

AND when you get your scanner back -----------just follow the directions

First make sure your scanner and computer will talk to each other ...........

I couldn't get my laptop to be stable enough to do the CPU upgrade.......thought I had bricked it........but the desktop completed the upgrade just fine

markn455

Premium Subscriber
Upgrade Problems

I received my upgraded scanner back in about 10 days. Before you installed the Whistler Programming software, be sure and uninstall the GRE software. Also, if you are on Windows 10, be prepared to go through the steps to install unsigned drivers again like you did with the GRE software.

Now for the bad news, the new Whistler programming software will likely attempt to install updated firmware. I thought this was odd since I would expect they would have installed the latest firmware while it was there being upgraded. Nevertheless, I allowed the upgrade to proceed. The firmware was loaded and appeared to updating based on the screen information on the scanner. Then while waiting for the CPU to accept the update it failed. So far, I have been unable to recover from the error. Consequently I have a nice brick with a neat little screen that lights up but otherwise it not functional.

I have a call in to Whistler for direction on what to do. In my mind at this point, Whistler owes me a working scanner.

Mark

Blackswan73

The problem is not with your scanner, and you absolutely cannot brick them period. If your computer is running Windows 10, you need to read how to load unsigned drivers. The most common error is trying to update the scanner while turned on, and not in update mode mode.

markn455

Premium Subscriber
If your computer is running Windows 10, you need to read how to load unsigned drivers. The most common error is trying to update the scanner while turned on, and not in update mode mode.

My first statement shows you need to go through the unsigned driver install process. That worked great. For some reason, even though I had the current firmware, the software wanted to install it again. I am not sure why, neither is Whistler. In any case, they experienced the same issue as I did in their test lab. However, when they tested it everything was fine. Mine on the other hand failed during the CPU acceptance step. Whistler sent me a utility to install the firmware outside the programming software. That corrected the problem and I am up and running. They could not identify anything I did wrong. For now, it will remain a mystery.

Whistler is great, very responsive and help me get me problem resolved quickly.

I am one happy scanning camper!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Firmware update

I also was told my firmware needed to be updated by the software, and the scanner version numbers agreed. The update went without any problem, using Windows 10 64 bit. I am very happy with the performance, and the DMR quality is as good as my Hytera PD782.

Tracker

I sent my 800 in for the upgrade on 6/12.....UPS says it was delivered on 6/16! Today is Monday 6/19 n I still haven't heard from whistler........
Did you receive a confirmation email once they received it?

dmaria

I sent my 800 in for the upgrade on 6/12.....UPS says it was delivered on 6/16! Today is Monday 6/19 n I still haven't heard from whistler........

The only contact I had from Whistler was to tell me the scanner was on its way back.

Tracker

Thanks for the reply/info...
Did they just upgrade the firmware.....or was there any hardware change? Or case change?

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Radio return

Mine took four days total from the email. USPS 2 day is a little misleading. It really means two shipping days plus the day it was sent to the post office and the day your post office actually delivers it.

ChuckWal

Premium Subscriber
Serial Number

Propbably a stupid question, but where can I find my PSR-800 serial number, I cannot find anything on the case or inside the battery compartment. I am sending to Whistler for the upgrade,

Thanks in advance.

IowaGuy1603

My first 800 that I sent in I got a notification from Whistler they had my scanner----but that was on 6/3 or so

When I sent my other 800 ----I only got the notification that my scanner was being sent back

I should have it 6/26 or 27

Status
Not open for further replies.