PSR500/PSR600: hitting digital in search mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

I get frustrated when searching throught frequencies. I hit SO many digital stations. The mode is set to Au. I've never had this scanner decode digtial on search. Does this mean this scanner cannot decode them? I will hit a digital signal like 155.715 that is not in the database so it's useless. What would I do from that point forward to decode it?

troymail

Silent Key
Your scanner can receive and decode some digital signals but that doesn't mean it can decode every digital signal. Primarily, your scanner will decode P25 control channels (when programmed as such) an P25 (Phase 1) voice signals. It cannot decode DMR/MotoTRBO, NXDN, text paging, SCADA, MDTs - just to name a few. And no scanner can decode/decrypt encypted signals....

So, your results will depend on what the digital signal actually is. In the 155 Mhz range, it is likely to be a paging system signal (which the scanner can't do anything with on it's own) but it could be anything.

You might want to look at this page and listen to some of the signals. It will give you an idea of the possibilities....

Digital*Modes*Samples

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Will this thing automatically decode it if it can?

Yes, if it can.

P25 (DG) voice should decode without any issues as long as you have a good signal.

P25 control channels will still sound like digital noise but will typically display "P25" and a NAC value.

I don't recall what happens with older Motorola control channel signals.

Most everything else will be treated as analog (including digital signals that the radio cannot decode).

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I get frustrated when searching throught frequencies. I hit SO many digital stations. The mode is set to Au. I've never had this scanner decode digtial on search. Does this mean this scanner cannot decode them? I will hit a digital signal like 155.715 that is not in the database so it's useless. What would I do from that point forward to decode it?

Try searching the FCC database, not radioreference. If the frequency has not been identified and submitted to RR, it won't be listed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technoguy58

ISABELLA county

I'm going out on a limb here so bear with me. I checked the frequency you talked about (155.715) and Issabella county is the only county in Michigan that is licensed for any kind of digital (DMR/TRBO). I see it is not listed in the Michigan database page for Issabella county. I don't know if you are in this area, but since you mentioned central Michigan I thought you may be in this area. The license for this frequency is WQSU968. The application says this license is for 911 dispatch for the county. I see analog fire dispatch for the county (154.235) on license WNMO442 . The license (WQSU968) is showing 4 frequencies for 911 dispatch (155.715, 156.18, 151.1675, and 151.2875) with either narrowband analog or MOTOTRBO voice. I don't live in your area but this is going to require some investigation by someone that lives in the area. There are several licenses for DMR digital in the county. It may be that fire dispatch is on an analog wide frequency and a separate DMR frequency at the same time. If you are in this area then I hope this helps you figure out what is going on. I didn't see where you mentioned what kind of scanner you have but you will need one of the newer models that can decode DMR. Hang in there. If your area is slowly migrating to digital then find a digital scanner and you will be happier. Good luck.

scanmanmi

Yes. Thank you Technoguy. I believe it is Isabella Co. but is not listed here. The term DMR means Digital Mobile Radio and could encompass a variety of means. I think they should list the method. I get the feeling that almost all digital transmissions are Mototrbo and my PSR600 is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.