Need help loading VA State Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrova

Hey all, it's been a long time since I've been on here, and programmed my Grecom500. I've reloaded all the channels I'm looking to do, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the Virginia State Police loaded. Not having a clue what I'm doing - or did - I put all the state police channels into scanlist 1. They're there. But the scanner will not scan that list. It scans all the others just fine and dandy here in Central VA where I'm located.

I'd sure appreciate a bit of help here. I'm programming using win500. My goal is to get all of the VSP from across the state because I do travel around the state from time to time. Definitely the Central VA area (Richmond, VA/Chesterfield County to Virginia Beach to Danville, VA for sure).

Thanks in advance!
sv

fredva

Feed Provider
It's been awhile since I programmed the Radio Shack equivalent of that scanner. But I'm wondering if you exceeded the maximum allowed objects for that scan list, especially if you programmed both the voice frequencies and control channels. I would suggest replacing what you have in that scan list with a smaller batch of STARS sites - say the two or three closest to you - and see what happens. And only program the primary and alternate control channels for those sites. The control channels should be all you need, as the scanner checks the control channel data to find the voice frequency being used.

troymail

Silent Key
FWIW - I just did an import of the entire STARS system.

There only seem to be 418 talkgroups so the number of objects doesn't look to be an issue.

However, confirming what Mike said, it looks like the issue is probably that the import stops after the first 32 control channel frequencies for all sites. That means it is only loading frequencies for roughly the first 16 sites:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783

If you haven't tried, you may want to limit the import to a selective small set of sites in your area as Mike has suggested.

mrova

Ah! Thank you fredva and troymail for the info! I might have resolved it in that I went back and re-did my frequencies, breaking the VSP into two scanlists, it seems to be working now, and I think I'll know more as I get out and about with the scanner.
But, fredva, you raise a question or two...to clarify, so I 'only' need to download the STARS site (are you talking about the towers?) and that's all I need? I think I downloaded tower sites AND a bunch of individual frequencies? As such, I'm getting quite a bit of VSP traffic.

troymail

Silent Key
But, fredva, you raise a question or two...to clarify, so I 'only' need to download the STARS site (are you talking about the towers?) and that's all I need? I think I downloaded tower sites AND a bunch of individual frequencies? As such, I'm getting quite a bit of VSP traffic.
The "sites" you select (see below) determine which frequencies are imported into your configuration.

You'll want to program the "sites" (and their control channel frequencies as a result) for those which are closest to you (or where you plan to be).

Attachments

• stars.jpg
    stars.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 245

mrova

The "sites" you select (see below) determine which frequencies are imported into your configuration.

You'll want to program the "sites" (and their control channel frequencies as a result) for those which are closest to you (or where you plan to be).

Yes, I think that is what I did...I'll go back and have a look at the import. I think what is confusing to me is I imported nearby site as you show above, but importing through the win500, I also imported individual frequencies such as TAC channels, surveillance, etc, a whole host of these sub(?) channels. Is that not necessary?

troymail

Silent Key
Yes, I think that is what I did...I'll go back and have a look at the import. I think what is confusing to me is I imported nearby site as you show above, but importing through the win500, I also imported individual frequencies such as TAC channels, surveillance, etc, a whole host of these sub(?) channels. Is that not necessary?

You need both for trunking systems.

The "site" data provides the frequencies that the control channel and voice calls are carried on.

The "individual frequencies" you reference like "TAC channels", etc. are called "talkgroups". "Talkgroups" are logical identifiers that are used as part of each conversation to identify which users are talking. The "talkgroups" can appear on any of the system/site frequencies.

Swipesy

One of the nice features of using PSREdit500 to program this scanner is there is a menu item that lets you see how many f the allowable 1852 objects you have used and how many are left.

Every system frequency, conventional frequency, Talkgroup is an object and they count against the 1852 allowable. When you have used all 1852 allowable the scanner will not allow any more anything to be programmed. Each System has a limitation of 32 system frequencies. Also, if you split a system into multiple systems you have to also assign TG's. If a TG is used across a system you duplicate the TG burning up more available objects. This scanner is my favorite of all time but limited in programming. Thus the PSR-800 came on the scene.

fredva

Feed Provider
In a system like STARS, a tower and a site are essentially the same thing. That is a multi-site trunking system. But in other trunking systems called simulcast systems, a "site" is a collection of different towers spread out over an area and sharing the same frequencies. It's considered one site because the frequencies the towers use are identical. I'm using the term tower but in some cases it could be antennas on top of taller buildings.

mrova

Mike has provided some good leads. However, if possible, post your Win500 (.p500) file here (or PM me). It will be much easier to figure out that way.

Good evening troymail, you'd offered to let me post my scanner file to help me see what I'm missing. I had redone my VA state police on lists 9 and 10, but I'm still just picking up very minimal traffic, certainly less than I should be. Then I screwed up again creating a test list on 18, that simply does nothing.

I'm clearly over my head in these specific frequencies. All my other lists work just fine as far as I know.

My goal was to set it up so that I could have most, if not all, of the whole state of Virginia covered for the State Police frequencies. Is that something you can help with? Or, at least coverage from Virginia Beach, VA to Charlottesville.

If this is too time consuming, I certainly understand that, so if it's not something you can do, I'm OK with that too.

Thank you so much, for the offer, and for whatever you can do! - Steve Vaughan
Here's the zip...anyone else can have a look if ya wanna see what I've got going on...thanks everyone for the interest!
View attachment Latest as of Dec 14 2017.p500.zip

troymail

Silent Key
Good evening troymail, you'd offered to let me post my scanner file to help me see what I'm missing. I had redone my VA state police on lists 9 and 10, but I'm still just picking up very minimal traffic, certainly less than I should be. Then I screwed up again creating a test list on 18, that simply does nothing.

I'm clearly over my head in these specific frequencies. All my other lists work just fine as far as I know.

My goal was to set it up so that I could have most, if not all, of the whole state of Virginia covered for the State Police frequencies. Is that something you can help with? Or, at least coverage from Virginia Beach, VA to Charlottesville.

If this is too time consuming, I certainly understand that, so if it's not something you can do, I'm OK with that too.

Thank you so much, for the offer, and for whatever you can do! - Steve Vaughan
Here's the zip...anyone else can have a look if ya wanna see what I've got going on...thanks everyone for the interest!
View attachment 61949

Couple of quick questions -

I'm getting an error saying this .p500 file was created with a newer version of Win500 - what version are you using (click on HELP on the far right side of the top of the application)?

You probably know but you'll probably have trouble receiving Charlottesville to VA Beach from Chesterfield County - that's a pretty large area... are you planning to travel between those locations?

mrova

v02.08 is the version.
No problem on the distance...I used to get quite a bit of SP traffic out of Chesapeake...from home here in Chesterfield County (south of Richmond).
In my job, I drive all over Central VA, so, I was figuring I might catch traffic as I drive closer to some areas. Thank you so much!

troymail

Silent Key
v02.08 is the version.
No problem on the distance...I used to get quite a bit of SP traffic out of Chesapeake...from home here in Chesterfield County (south of Richmond).
In my job, I drive all over Central VA, so, I was figuring I might catch traffic as I drive closer to some areas. Thank you so much!
ok - I'm using 2.08 ---

check your PMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.