PSR500/PSR600: Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
PSE 500
Last night I tried to tune to find the correct frequency in the 451 Mhz range, my scanner just kept on going up and I was unable to stop the scanner to work correctly. The light no longer works and placed new batteries for it. None of the buttons now function. I guess its toast. Ten years is a good run.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm...is 10 years a good run for a handheld scanner? Obviously it will be subjective from owner to owner, but what is a good run?

- I have a Bearcat BC2500xlt I purchased in 1994 and it works fine, with re-built battery packs of course or on AC. (Talk about manual programming and memorizing freqs! That thing was just under $500! ha!)

- I have a RS Pro-97 that is used daily in my vehicle. It endures plenty of heat and cold. I believe I purchased that around 2005 or earlier, whenever it came out.

Those are the two oldest and often used handheld scanners I have.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I'd try a full reset before you decide that it's toast ... wouldn't hurt to try, and if it is toast, a reset won't result in losing anything additional.

ScannerSK

PSE 500
Last night I tried to tune to find the correct frequency in the 451 Mhz range, my scanner just kept on going up and I was unable to stop the scanner to work correctly. The light no longer works and placed new batteries for it. None of the buttons now function. I guess its toast. Ten years is a good run.

The keypad flakes off internally on these scanners and create shorts. Most likely a flake of metallic material came off one of the keypad buttons and is shorting one of the buttons on the board.

I would open it and clean off the board surface where the keypad makes contact and see if that helps. If too much of a keypad button flakes off that specific button will no longer work until some keypad repair is used on it.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.