GRE PSR-500 Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I recently loaded up my old PSR-500 with an updated file and have been using it for about a week now. It really is a great scanner and works well but, I had forgotten about the audio being so tinny. I realize, it is what it is but, has anyone ever found a way to improve it even slightly? Any tricks or mods?

DJ11DLN

I recently loaded up my old PSR-500 with an updated file and have been using it for about a week now. It really is a great scanner and works well but, I had forgotten about the audio being so tinny. I realize, it is what it is but, has anyone ever found a way to improve it even slightly? Any tricks or mods?

Adding an amplified external speaker is about all you can do, the audio is the result of the tiny speaker, not the radio itself. It's B/M brother (600) still has some of the best analog and p.1 digital audio in the market.

ScannerSK

I have never noticed a tinny sound to my PSR-500. I wonder if certain PSR-500s were made with a different speaker than others?

budevans

My PSR-500 has the best audio of any of my scanners. You must have gotten one with a bum speaker.

My newer scanners (BCD436HP and TRX-1) with their tiny little speakers just don't measure up to the PSR-500. When I use the newer scanners at home, I connect them to a set of inexpensive ($6.99) powered PC speakers (Inland Pro 2000) that Micro Center carries. The PC speakers really improve the audio. When I use the scanners in my car I connect them to the car radio's AUX input, 200 watts with eight speakers.:D

If you are up to replacing the speaker. You could contact Whistler. I believe the WS1040 is the Whistler version of the PSR-500. They may a have a speaker that would fit.

Good luck.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
Comparing the audio of my 500 to a friends 325p2, there is no comparison. His audio is amazing coming from such a small enclosure. I considered changing the speaker with one I had taken out of an old HT1000, but after looking inside, there is no way it would fit. There is no room to spare inside the 500. I'm not sure if the WS1040 audio is any better since I don't have access to one for comparison. As ScannerSK mentioned, the speakers may be different in various versions of the radio. I may contact Whistler.

Thanks to all who replied.

usswood

PGM - EDIT - TSYS - EDIT - Scoll down to Audio Boost - save - exit

budevans

There's one other thing. If you have earbuds, earphones or PC speakers you should try them first to see if the audio quality is acceptable. If the audio is still tinny, then the problem is not the speaker. It would most likely be a component failure.

nanZor

I know what you're talking about on the 500. Kind of hissy overall audio, no depth and flat / shrill. Speaker has absolutely no "enclosure" being flat up against the board. The whole series starting with the Pro106 and up have that same sound.

What I have done in the past is tune the grill by covering up to maybe half of the grill face with a strip or two of blue painters-tape. Ugly as all get out. Sensitive - covering up just one row of holes too many can make it muddy.

BUT, it will tame the audio somewhat to make it more pleasurable to listen to.

The real shame is that most $10 CCR's have better audio than any handheld scanner to date. Powerful, depth, and a nice(er) frequency response than a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.