GRE To Release New Digital Handheld, Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrol88

Rumor has it that GRE is introducing 6 new scanners at Dayton that will be released under their own brand, not through RS. Anyone else see this?

cg

Premium Subscriber
Maybe announcing development but neither GRE America (FCC ID - DE8) nor GRE Japan (General Research of Electronics)(FCC ID - ADV) has submitted anything to the FCC for approval in several years.

chris

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
So they aren't going to be there, and haven't put anything through to the FCC... Not a bad rumor ;>

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm. Interesting rumor. I know GRE is out there (at least, I know that some of their people are wandering the show...they do every year, just as there are a couple of Uniden folks out wandering). Would be very interested to hear more, if it is true.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
petrol88 said:
Rumor has it that GRE is introducing 6 new scanners at Dayton that will be released under their own brand, not through RS. Anyone else see this?
I'll wager a good amount it's a rumor.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
http://www.arrl.org/blog/Dayton and ARRL Expo

Steve Ford said:
A New/Old Player in the Scanner Arena: If you've purchased a VHF/UHF scanning receiver from RadioShack during the last 40 years, chances are it was made by GRE: General Research Electronics Corporation in Tokyo, Japan. Friday morning I shook hands with Nori Taniguchi of GRE, who informed me that they were going to begin selling direct in the United States starting this fall.

Seems there is some truth to it. I don't think they are showing anything off though.. Very interesting indeed

Last edited:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
News FLASHj From Dayton Hamvention

post removed

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I can see one digital handheld/one base or analog set, but 6 new radios all at once, something doesn't smell right. Even when Radio Shack comes out with a new model it would only be a pair at a time, or one set from Uniden OEM and another from GRE OEM. That would be a huge leap for GRE, even if the rebanding phase was settled, to go out on their own. If they did, I think it would be a revision of a current model. Their track record on firmware upgrades via logic display board replacement and major issues with the PRO-2055 display come to mind. I'll sit back and watch this one unfold, not to doubt your word, but I'm skeptical at best as to "what" they are going to release. Think of the overhead and development time of a new model and time to production.

I look forward to something new. Let the speculation begin.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Yes, all of these have Radio Shack versions or varients and were developed at different times, none of which are digital capable.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Well no one knows how long they have been working on this. For all we know it could have been years in the making and just now announced..Maybe not all 6 at once will be released, maybe over time starting in Oct. I for one believe Jeff, very reliable source as far as I'm concerned and he is not the only one to hear this. Since he says model numbers next week and they say type acceptance next month guess it won't be a long wait.

w0fg

Not a really big surprise. RS has been slowly moving away from private branding for years. GRE will probably just rebadge the units they've been building under the RadioShack label and add a model or two. 'Better get used to buying scanners via the internet though, as it may also mean that RS will stop carrying scanners on the shelves as a stock item and rid themselves of having to deal with a bunch of whiny geeks.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
w0fg said:
Not a really big surprise. RS has been slowly moving away from private branding for years. GRE will probably just rebadge the units they've been building under the RadioShack label and add a model or two. 'Better get used to buying scanners via the internet though, as it may also mean that RS will stop carrying scanners on the shelves as a stock item and rid themselves of having to deal with a bunch of whiny geeks.

If so, you should be able to buy fom smaller dealers now that know something about the radios they sell. Gone are the days of cell phone/satellite tv sellers that work on commission that give you blank stares when you ask about a scanning radio. If we don't "whine" how do we get the features and fixes we want? Joe, off the street, is not going to know when what to do when the police channel won't come in on his customers new $500 digi-scanner. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.