Really Glad GRE is staying in the Game !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_G

I am really glad that GRE is staying in the game with these new radios.
I had concerns after hearing about Radio Shack's downsizing and their profits.
I was hoping that GRE would just sell then under their own name.
They had too good a product to just fade away.

Can't wait to get my hands on these new rigs.... 73, Tom/G - :)

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I agree 100%, i have been in the hobby 38 years, GRE has always produced very good audio and other features....Some years ago the patent for a radio to actually "scan" i thought was held by "Electra Bearcat" , then sold to Uniden. Some companys wanted to produce a radio that "scanned" and i think had to contribute or get permission thru the courts to make "scanners" like Uniden...I remember Uniden taking some one to court for scanning patent infringments.....

scanjunkie

Ditto!! As much as I tried I just can't get into the Uniden products anymore...GRE is definitely my choice in scanners!! Can't wait for the new ones!!

rwl48

"oh, Yeah!!"

I'd like to see a new updated version of the PRO2042 with all the bells and whistles. :lol:

Bob:roll:

N4JNW

I think the new GRE digital's are going to be tough to beat... I know there are some set in stone Uniden guys here, but let's face it.. Uniden is going to have some stiff competition when these new scanners appear on the market..

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'd like to see GRE make their great receivers with all the features/options available in Unidens. Of course, I'm comparing my Pro-97 with my BC246T. But there's a lot they should be able to do with the radios.

SCPD

QRT
Well i remember the good ol days of the Pro 43 and Pro 2006. Now those were quality scanners (both made by GRE I believe). The only issue I have with GRE is that well they suck in some regards as of late. So maybe they will actually come out with something nice this time.

This is how I see it .. and before anyone in the GRE camp gets upset this is just my opinion and isnt scientific or anything.

So GRE .. does make a better radio than the Unidens. Performance I will give to them. But this is where it ends.

The Uniden models have one very big benefit over the GRE units. That is the Usability of the scanners. The design of the user interface of the GRE units well stinks. This is why I got rid of my last GRE unit. It was a trunking unit and just hell to use .. and personally i will take a better designed user interface anyday. Performance for the most part is only a little behind the GRE units so this is not a huge issue for most people.

So hopefully they maybe read this and think about how hellish their trunking scanners are and do something to make them a little more user friendly.

yaesumofo

It seems to me that at the moment GRE is playing catch up.
I am pretty sure that Uniden will have an answer to these new offerings from GRE.
So far None of the big scanner companies have delivered a dual/twin receiver radio with an expandable memory. (except ICOM's R 20)
One can only hope.
Yaesumofo

N4JNW

I'll agree, GRE scanners, don't have features of the Unidens. But let's look at the reasons you BUY a scanner. I buy a scanner to hear stuff, and I like every ounce of gain I can squeeze out of one.

Yeah, Uniden's features ARE nice. But, when it comes to scanning, I like performance. I like to scan, to listen, not punch buttons and play with goodies.

It's like the analogy I made earlier, in a different post. Uniden and GRE are like a Bentley and a Corvette. The Bentley is nice, and has many features, but, to some people, doing 140 is much more important. :)

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Unidens are far worse in reception and quality of digital audio (which my area is mostly digital). I like all the features of the 396/996 but by far i like the 96/2096 better because I can hear a good 50-75% more(and in better quality). So I have to argue on the catching up part completely. Uniden has a lot of catching up on the part of digital decoding compared to GRE. This is why I can't wait for these new scanners to come out. I am assuming that they will have the same digital quality as the 96/2096. With just about all of the features of the 396/996. Best of both worlds

yaesumofo

KG4LJF said:
I'll agree, GRE scanners, don't have features of the Unidens. But let's look at the reasons you BUY a scanner. I buy a scanner to hear stuff, and I like every ounce of gain I can squeeze out of one.

Yeah, Uniden's features ARE nice. But, when it comes to scanning, I like performance. I like to scan, to listen, not punch buttons and play with goodies.

It's like the analogy I made earlier, in a different post. Uniden and GRE are like a Bentley and a Corvette. The Bentley is nice, and has many features, but, to some people, doing 140 is much more important. :)
This may be true in a two brand world.

I have Yupiteru radios which blow the doors off GRE radio all day long. If the gre is a corvette then the yupiteru radios are Aston martins.

I also buy radios in order to monitor what is going on around me. When it comes to the gain added by using a GRE radio I can easily over come this by the use of a fine antenna 40 or so foot above the ground. I can hear just about anything I want to with my 396 and this discone. I also like having features.
I also own a couple of AOR-8000's which in terms of sheer receiver performance are really damn good. Yupiteru radios are better built than just about all of these radios.

I have got to say that my 396 has held up as well as several of my "commercial" radios.

This is not a radio pissing match.
All of these radios have their own highlights, one may be great on 800mhz but crappy on 144 MHz.

The point is that none are perfect. I have found that generally there is a trade off for every "db" of sensitivity you are more likely to suffer intermod. Now the GRE radios may be sensitive but I have never suffered from any intermod issues with my 396. Can you say that about your pro 96?
As I look at the feature set of the new GRE radios I already know I would be disappointed.
I am looking for a digital radio with dual receivers I also want it to be able to record MP3 files in the radio of what it is hearing, Allowing for time shifting of the action.

Can you imaging a radio that you can leave on while you are at work and you leave it scanning your favorites. if there is some action while you are at work you will be able to monitor everything as it happened 6 or 8 hours later.
This would be fantastic, and is very doable, I would also like the radio to be able to record the action on one frequency while I monitor another. Imagine this feature put to use on a trunked system monitoring and recording separate talk groups.
Look Guys this is the 21st century and we need 21st century features. We need them attached to 21st century radios that hear like crazy.
BTW When it comes down to the sheer gain a radio has, I can monitor many things from my qth, For example I can hear the Disney 900 MHz system from 35 miles away with a simple tuned antenna.
This is as much the result of good engineering on the part of the technicians who built the system as it does with the ability for my radio to hear the system.
My other point is this If I put my mind to it I could figure out a way to monitor some San Diego systems. But why? I wouldn't. I don't need to hear stuff from 150 mile away, that is gain really get you. An antenna will get you the same thing for the most part.
My overall point is that there is more to scanners than pure gain.
Yaesumofo

Tom_G

Lots of Good Points here...

There are lots of good points being made here... Good Stuff!!!
I think a lot depends on where you are doing your monitoring from.
Here in central Connecticut, most of my monitoring targets are trunked so AOR or Yupi radios are of little value. (Yes, even some smaller towns have gone trunked - :mad: )
As far as features go, the new GRE's look pretty good to me. The new Unidens are sometimes over-featured with stuff.
GRE certainly gets the award for best audio. Especially their handhelds.
They have more audio power and better digital clarity.
My usual test of an HT is to put it on my belt and go outside and play ball with the kids.
My PRO-96 and PRO-97 are very usable like this and I can hear them well.
I tried to do this with my Uniden BR-330T and I could not really hear it well enough.
Very thin an tinny audio.
I'm hoping the new GRE's follow their good audio tradition.
Thanks, Tom/G

garys

Premium Subscriber
Competition is good. Even if I never buy a GRE radio, I stand to benefit if they put pressure on Uniden to make better products. And vice versa.

Gary

GTO_04

garys said:
Competition is good. Even if I never buy a GRE radio, I stand to benefit if they put pressure on Uniden to make better products. And vice versa.

Gary

The Unidens do have a better interface, and it is easier to navigate among the TGs. But when it comes to digital decoding, the GRE simply does it better than Uniden. There are far more complaints about the digital decoding of the Unidens compared to the GREs. Performance is more important to me.

Uniden has more homework to do on their digital decoding, and hopefully the competition from GRE will force this to happen. Up to this point it has not happened though. And hopefully they will be able to decode EDACS and Motorola 3600 baud systems when both are programmed into the same scanner. That has not happened yet either.

GTO_04

yaesumofo

Isn't the same hardware decoder being used by these companies?
Maybe you guys are confusing BETTER with LOUDER or loudness. A common thing really.

Since the decoder is a licensed technology I would assume the hardware decoder is the same.

Maybe it is the quality of the audio amp. I have seen this several times.
My professional Fostex Portable DAT recorder has a terrible sounding cheap audio amp in it. It was a $5,000 machine. The $100000.00 Son f900 series oc HD cameras suffer from the same fate terrible sounding internal audio amp. Why should $500.00 scanners be any different?

I am quite happy with the sound of my 396. I have A/B 'ed it with a MOTO apco 25 radio.
The MOto could make the audio play louder than the Uniden but it didn't sound any better.
This surprised the owner of the Moto radio since he uses the radio for scanning and it cost him a hand full of cash MORE than a uniden or gre radio.

A little research is needed to see if uniden and GRE use the same decoder.
Anybody know?
Yaesumofo

GTO_04 said:
The Unidens do have a better interface, and it is easier to navigate among the TGs. But when it comes to digital decoding, the GRE simply does it better than Uniden. There are far more complaints about the digital decoding of the Unidens compared to the GREs. Performance is more important to me.

Uniden has more homework to do on their digital decoding, and hopefully the competition from GRE will force this to happen. Up to this point it has not happened though. And hopefully they will be able to decode EDACS and Motorola 3600 baud systems when both are programmed into the same scanner. That has not happened yet either.

GTO_04

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
yaesumofo said:
Maybe you guys are confusing BETTER with LOUDER or loudness. A common thing really.
DVSI isn't licensing a chip or hardware, they're licensing the right to take the bits and assemble them into voice. It's up to the manufacturer to develop the hardware and code to do that, and GRE is obviously better at it than Uniden.

N4JNW

wayne_h said:
GRE is obviously better at it than Uniden.

I have read many posts claiming this. I was considering Uniden, but now I don't regret my Pro-96 at all. For some folks, quality is better than quantity.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
yaesumofo said:

Since the decoder is a licensed technology I would assume the hardware decoder is the same.

Yaesumofo

Nope. I have a 996 and a 2096 side by side. The 2096 picks up a good 50% more transmissions and those transmissions all sound far better. Also from what I have noticed the 996 is far more prone to "machine gunning". It is a really good bet that the 500/600 will have the same digital decoding as the 96/2096.

DonS

wayne_h said:
DVSI isn't licensing a chip or hardware, they're licensing the right to take the bits and assemble them into voice. It's up to the manufacturer to develop the hardware and code to do that, and GRE is obviously better at it than Uniden.
From reading DVSI's site, as well as finding various license agreements online (e.g. E.F. Johnson in a 10K filing), it looks like DVSI will also sell you hardware and/or license you to use their software object code (for various DSPs) for the vocoder(s).

So, two scanner manufacturers could, conceivably, be using exactly the same decoder. But, I'd bet that the decoder just gives you digital voice samples as its output. It would be up to the scanner manufacturer(s) to take those samples and convert them to audio, and it's possible that this step could lead to differences. Another potential difference could be in the front end, everything (hardware and software) before DVSI's decoder.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
DonS said:
So, two scanner manufacturers could, conceivably, be using exactly the same decoder. But, I'd bet that the decoder just gives you digital voice samples as its output. It would be up to the scanner manufacturer(s) to take those samples and convert them to audio, and it's possible that this step could lead to differences. Another potential difference could be in the front end, everything (hardware and software) before DVSI's decoder.
Exactly, regardless of which direction a manufacturer goes there's still some code to write to create an intelligible voice result.

Status
Not open for further replies.