GRE: Tone Search on new scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'd like to see these two features on the new scanners coming out:

A single tone search option like Uniden has that searches CTCSS & DCS tones with one mode instead of two.

Tone search on Signal Stalker II.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Gilligan said:
A single tone search option like Uniden has that searches CTCSS & DCS tones with one mode instead of two.
Would you like it to be like Uniden where you can either search for tones or decode digital, but not at the same time? That was a nice move. :roll:

Since the new 500 will be built new from the ground up I'd be willing to bet they'll do things properly, in GRE fashion, and not half-ass it Uniden style.

Gilligan

Database Admin
wayne_h said:
I'd be willing to bet they'll do things properly, in GRE fashion...
I never could figure out why their firmware was limited to just CTCSS or DCS but not both together.

On a side note, maybe they'll get rid of some of the spurious tone readings, too. Like the 118.8 PL AC hum reading...

Gilligan

Database Admin
Also:

Auto-store for Signal Stalker II
(with options to hear audio and silence audio)

and
Auto-store for limit search

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
There are many coming out, so check the Wiki for the one you're interested in.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
wayne_h said:
Would you like it to be like Uniden where you can either search for tones or decode digital, but not at the same time? That was a nice move. :roll:
:confused:
Other than the GRE/RS radios which require toggling from CT to DC to find the right one, how is that different? A Pro-96/2096 in CT or DC search mode will not decode digital either AFAIK. I will admit that I don't have any P25 around here to verify that, but it seems that I remember that is the case. Am I remembering wrong?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
loumaag said:
:confused:
Other than the GRE/RS radios which require toggling from CT to DC to find the right one, how is that different?
A few taps of the mode button and you're at FM mode. One finger and a couple seconds. Compare this to having to change it with the Uniden. You then enter "inconvenient" territory.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
loumaag said:
Other than the GRE/RS radios which require toggling from CT to DC to find the right one, how is that different? A Pro-96/2096 in CT or DC search mode will not decode digital either AFAIK. I will admit that I don't have any P25 around here to verify that, but it seems that I remember that is the case. Am I remembering wrong?

You're correct Lou. If you have a frequency set up for PL or DPL, it won't pick up P25 digital. I learned that with TSA freqencies.

BTW, i've often requested a single decode feature that will do PL/DPL/NAC codes, so we don't have to keep switching modes or use the 136.5 trick to ID a possible DPL user.

Warren

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
wayne_h said:
A few taps of the mode button and you're at FM mode. One finger and a couple seconds. Compare this to having to change it with the Uniden. You then enter "inconvenient" territory.
Ah, I see what you were saying. I guess I was confused over your point initially. An additional problem I have with the Uniden method is the lack of ability to easily "store" a discovered tone. Hopefully the GRE's will retain the former "one button" store function.

Gilligan

Database Admin
wwhitby said:
BTW, i've often requested a single decode feature that will do PL/DPL/NAC codes, so we don't have to keep switching modes or use the 136.5 trick to ID a possible DPL user.
What is the 136.5 trick?

loumaag said:
Other than the GRE/RS radios which require toggling from CT to DC to find the right one, how is that different?
Having to toggle it is a pain, especially when searching out new freqs.

Also, I hope the new radios also include the LTR Repeater Finder feature.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Gilligan said:
What is the 136.5 trick?

With your PRO-96, set an analog frequency to CT mode. If the tone shows up as 136.5, the frequency may actually have DPL instead of PL. You can quickly switch to DC mode and see if a DPL shows up. Of course, 136.5 is a legitimate PL tone and is used by some folks. If its actually 136.5, the DC mode will not show a DPL tone and you'll know its really 136.5.

Warren

Joseph11

You really don't even have to do that. 136.5 Hz would only show up when the user or repeater stops transmitting, so if you're hearing something and don't get a PL, switch to DPL.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Joseph11 said:
You really don't even have to do that. 136.5 Hz would only show up when the user or repeater stops transmitting, so if you're hearing something and don't get a PL, switch to DPL.

Another trick is to do what i've been doing lately instead of the 136.5Hz trick: program the frequency in twice, one with CT mode, and the other with DC mode. However, this only works if you've got the space in your bank.

Warren

Gilligan

Database Admin
wwhitby said:
Another trick is to....program the frequency in twice, one with CT mode, and the other with DC mode.
True, yet this still requires you to manually skip to the next channel, which is as much effort as pushing MODE.

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Gilligan said:
True, yet this still requires you to manually skip to the next channel, which is as much effort as pushing MODE.

True, but its easier for me to press scan. Due to the way i've got my PRO-96 mounted in our vehicles, the mode button is harder for me to get to.

Warren

Gilligan

Database Admin
Gilligan said:
What is the 136.5 trick?
I accidently came across the reason for this DPL trick: (from http://www.open.org/blenderm/dcs.html)
DCS reverse burst:
Another feature of DCS is the 134.3 Hz reverse burst tone. When a receiver using a DCS code to control its squelch opening sees the 134.3 Hz reverse burst, it turns off the receive squelch while the reverse burst is still being sent. This eliminates the squelch tail noise burst when the received signal drops out. This DCS reverse burst is exactly the same for Motorola and other manufacturers radios (they all work together without problems). When CTCSS and DCS are both used on the same frequency, it is worth noting that 131.8 Hz and 136.5 Hz are both CTCSS tones. The DCS reverse burst can false some receivers using these CTCSS tones. It depends on the transmitter and receiver. The transmitter DCS reverse burst tone could be off frequency, the receiver CTCSS decoder may not be on frequency or the receiver CTCSS decoder may not be selective enough to reject the nearby DCS reverse burst tone. This potential problem is why some people do not like to use these two CTCSS tones on frequencies that also have DCS on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.