Band steps in VHF - Fixed step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill_bly_ca

Hi

I looked at the published specs on the Wiki and noticed 138-143.9875 @ 12.5 kHz

Any idea if this step is fixed like on the Pro 97 (Which is fixed at 6.25) or changeable?

This step size will probably mean poor operation (or no operation at all) on the Fleetnet system in Ontario Canada which is based on 5Khz step.

(Opps.. Forgot to state - the 500 and 600 model specificly.. But this could apply to all new GRE trunking models as the above system has analog traffic as well)

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Oh man I will be *so* disappointed if it doesn't follow Fleetnet properly. I've even broke the news to the wife that a new scanner will be coming this fall :)

mciupa

Hi Bill and Forts , seeing you guys also reside in Ontario , I was wondering what your thoughts are about the PSR 500 or 600 "doing" GO Transit.

For people not local, I am discussing an APCO-25 Standard UHF-Lo system.
I'm hoping that these radios will let us enter the 380 base , 12.5 spacing and 8192 offset.
I know the Pro 96/2096 wouldn't allow that base freq "out of the box" and using Win 96 allowed you to over-ride the 406 to allow us to truntrack.

In plain words , I hope GO is a go. :)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
mciupa said:
For people not local, I am discussing an APCO-25 Standard UHF-Lo system.
I'm hoping that these radios will let us enter the 380 base , 12.5 spacing and 8192 offset.
I know the Pro 96/2096 wouldn't allow that base freq "out of the box" and using Win 96 allowed you to over-ride the 406 to allow us to truntrack.

You might not even need to enter those anymore with the new ones.

As you may know already, that was like a "bug" that you need it to enter those values. I have to do that too currently on our VHF P25 system on the Pro-96 but all I have to enter on the Unidens is the control channel. So hopefully they fix the GRE's to trunktrack like they're supposed to, by grabbing the tables from the data stream.

yaesumofo

I beleive the correct step is 25 khz. In europe they have moved to a 8.33 khz stop. I beleive the plan is for the usa to mave to that step some time in the future. from what I have seen 12.5 is NOT the correct srep for the AIR BAND.
I could be wrong. I am very sure that 12.5 khz is not a step used for scaning the airband.
Yaesumofo

Bill_bly_ca said:
Hi

Any idea if this step is fixed like on the Pro 97 (Which is fixed at 6.25) or changeable?

This step size will probably mean poor operation (or no operation at all) on the Fleetnet system in Ontario Canada which is based on 5Khz step.

(Opps.. Forgot to state - the 500 and 600 model specificly.. But this could apply to all new GRE trunking models as the above system has analog traffic as well)

yaesumofo

I beleive the correct step is 25 khz. In europe they have moved to a 8.33 khz stop. I beleive the plan is for the usa to mave to that step some time in the future. from what I have seen 12.5 is NOT the correct srep for the AIR BAND.
I could be wrong. I am very sure that 12.5 khz is not a step used for scaning the airband.
Yaesumofo

Bill_bly_ca said:
Hi

DaveH

yaesumofo said:
Yaesumofo

Is there an echo-echo in here? :)

Who said anything about the air-band; 138-144 is land mobile (mostly)
in Canada. Problem is that Canadian channel spacing in that band is 15kHz
(soon to be down to 7.5kHz if not already), which the PRO-97's fixed 12.5
(or 6.25kHz?) step cannot match.

Dave

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Well, by the looks of the user manual the step size is fixed. What a bummer... I guess I will be sticking to my Pro-96. Crap :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.