GRE Wbsite

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickH

blinddog50 said:
These may be the greatest scanners ever made, I dunno.

But until GRE gets rid of the scanner must be the size and shape of a brick I'll stick with Uniden.

There's no reason why GRE and Uniden can't base their designs on cell phones. Motorola and Nokia seem to have more features than our scanners in much smaller packages with much better audio output.
C'mon people, put on your thinking caps (as my old 5th grade teacher used to say). :)

NOTE: I'll bet the UP Man has no comment.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Personally I like a big radio (scanner.) Do you see LEOs carrying around tiny radios. That would be no. It is much easier to hold onto a bigger one in my opinion.

DickH

Stick0413 said:
Personally I like a big radio (scanner.) Do you see LEOs carrying around tiny radios. That would be no. It is much easier to hold onto a bigger one in my opinion.

Good point. But with the large scanners they should be able to give us great volume like the Motorolas we carry on the job.

blinddog50

Stick0413 said:

They carry them more than they hold them.

Most LEO's I know would rather have a smaller radio.

trooperdude

Database Admin
DickH said:
There's no reason why GRE and Uniden can't base their designs on cell phones. Motorola and Nokia seem to have more features than our scanners in much smaller packages with much better audio output.

Sure there are. Several reasons actually.

Cellphones have hundreds of thousands of subscriber units produced per model.

You get economies of scale for the custom semiconductors used inside, and the form factor that holds the electronics.

Scanners don't have a fraction of the production volume, so the payback on investment isn't there for GRE or Uniden.

I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement. I get better audio out of my $70 Puxing ChiCom hand held, than my $450 Pro96.

That's something that is easily solved with a better speaker and audio amp, but you are not going to see scanner manufacturers make that kind of investment when they put a lot of $$$$ into R and D for trunking, that they have to recoup on the production side.

Things like a REAL metal case frame, or at least a carbon-fiber case would be nice.

Form factors that don't look like a brick, etc.

Bluetooth capability for a wireless headset.

a port for flash-memory cards to increase capacity.

Etc, etc.

Last edited:

FCVPI99

i have to say about the cell phone if a scanner ever came out that small you would have to pay me to take it -- who here has a cell phone that still works after 1 or 2 years?? hell i just got the moto razr V3T and i hate it i have had it for 6 months now im on my 3rd one dam thing keep messing up

if the new radios are anything sound wize close to the Pro 97 its gana be great

i have had unidens in the passed and they sounded like crap like underwater

Tom_G

Well.......

I would say......

Scanners should be made like Commercial HT's such as MA/Com and Motorola.
Solid with loud and clear audio. (Small, tinny, dixie cup sounding scanners need not apply!)

The GRE radios are as close as you can get to commercial quality audio today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.