PSR-500 and PSR-600 Pre Release (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Makes me want one even more.. lol. So its looking more and more like it is going to come out in the time frame that they planned.

SCPD

QRT
Good grief - yet another VISA II style communication protocol. If you wrote communications software for point of sale terminals in the late 1980's - you'll know what I'm talking about.

the manual said:
The basic remote control command/response format is as
follows:
<STX><msgCode><msgData><ETX><sum>
where:
<STX> is an ASCII “Start of Text” symbol (0x02)
<msgCode> is the code that represents the command or
response message type
<msgData> is the data that accompanies a command or a
response
<ETX> is an ASCII “End of Text” symbol (0x03)
<sum> is the sum of all bytes before sum but not including
<STX>, and is sent with every command and response for error
checking.

-rick

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Unitrunker said:
Good grief - yet another VISA II style communication protocol. If you wrote communications software for point of sale terminals in the late 1980's - you'll know what I'm talking about.

-rick

So it should integrate into UniTrunker easily, is that what your saying Rick?:p

walt991

Case Color &amp; Style

Does anyone know what the final product will look like? I like the photos that are on www.rffun.com & hamstation, but I dont care for the style that is shown on the FCC page.

windigofer

DaveIN said:
So it should integrate into UniTrunker easily, is that what your saying Rick?:p

*ROTFLMAO*

In all seriousness, though, GRE is to be commended for finally publishing an open standard for scanner control and programming. (Many developers in the open source community were frustrated because of GRE switching to a closed/encrypted format after the Pro-92/Pro-2067; that's why you don't see much for later GRE kit.)

Compared to THAT, GRE's publication of the protocols is a breath of fresh air (VISA terminal-esque protocol or no)!

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Well, I dont see anywhere in the manual where they mentioned selectable frequency steps.:( Maybe I missed it....

I guess Ill still have to put up with seeing our local system frequencies off by 2.5kHz. Yeah, it works with the Pro-96 as it is, but it wouldve been nice to see the correct frequency shown. Oh well, other than that, the new radios so far look great and ill get one as soon as they come out.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the picture on page 30 of the manual, it shows there's a "temp" lockout of TGs and frequencies. Not sure if it was brought up already but that's a REALLY nice feature indeed.

windigofer

Unitrunker said:

-rick

Actually, to me (at least) it looks like it could be a permutation of Hessen Network Protocol, or something similar:

GRE control:
(where sum = sum of bytes after STX in hex)

Hessen (from http://www.teledyne-api.com/manuals/hessen_02252c.pdf):
<STX><msgData><ETX><sum>
(where sum = XOR'd number of bytes including STX and ETX in hex)

(As an aside, Hessen Network Protocol is also used for things like controllng air pollution monitors)

Another mutation a bit closer is an official standard for an ISO14443-compliant smartcard reader (from http://www.rds.co.nz/RDTS/rdts.nsf/dx/RSSSerialProtocol.doc/$file/RSSSerialProtocol.doc):

<STX><msgToken><msgCode><msgData><ETX><sum>
(where sum = XOR'd number of bytes between STX and ETX)

The protocol used to talk to a JWS RF matrix switch is identical, save for adding the STX statement to its checksum (per http://www.jfwindustries.com/ExistingSamples/50MS-104 Manual.pdf):

(where sum = XOR'd number of bytes including STX and ETX)

Apparently there is already code out there to do essentially what is needed for scanner control under Perl:

[link=http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1209423&page=1]Perl code[/link]

Just to give some ideas and stuff :3

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
If you want, I'll buy one from them and sell it for $550. I suppose it is up to individual retailers to set their own price, as it has been for every other scanner sold.

SCPD

QRT
windigofer said:
(As an aside, Hessen Network Protocol is also used for things like controllng air pollution monitors)
Interesting. I guess the GRE's are RF pollution monitors.

windigofer said:
Apparently there is already code out there to do essentially what is needed for scanner control under Perl:
That perl code assumes an LRC. The checksum on the GRE radios appears to be an integer sum, not an XOR.

Seriously though, I'm surprised to see this sort of format continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.