GRE PSR-300 or RS PRO-97?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPKeller2

My trusty, but very old Bearcat XLT-100 has finally stopped working, so I find myself heavily engrossed in a quick course of study on today's scanner technology.

I was all but set to pull the trigger on a PRO-97 when I stumbled upon this nifty new PSR-300 coming out here soon.

I don't have a problem with delayed gratification, so in what may be a bit of a reversal from the norm, can anyone give me a compelling reason why I shouldn't wait for the new PSR-300 in a few weeks?

I've seen posts on these boards which indicate the model will be available at both RS as a PRO-97 replacement, and at indie dealers under the GRE brand. Thoughts on which would be best?

Thanks, these boards are an invaluable resource!

Theron

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
TPKeller2 said:
I don't have a problem with delayed gratification, so in what may be a bit of a reversal from the norm, can anyone give me a compelling reason why I shouldn't wait for the new PSR-300 in a few weeks?

I've seen posts on these boards which indicate the model will be available at both RS as a PRO-97 replacement, and at indie dealers under the GRE brand. Thoughts on which would be best?

Thanks, these boards are an invaluable resource!

Theron
One word: Rebanding.
The Radio Shack Pro-97, according to information that's been posted in the past on their own webpage, will not be supported for rebanding. So, if you plan on monitoring Motorola trunked systems (or know/suspect that agencies in your area will be moving to such a system), this quite probably will affect you. See the Wiki for more. The new GRE made scanners, as well as the current model Unidens, were designed to allow a firmware upgrade to be downloaded & installed by the users to address this. The PSR-300 likely will cost more than the Pro-97 (which frequently goes on sale), but if you want to monitor certain trunked systems past the rebanding process, the 97 won't work.
If all you monitor, or plan to for the forseeable future, is either conventional channels (not on any trunked radio system), and/or EDACS or LTR systems, then rebanding does not come into play, so buy whichever you want.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Beyond the normal warrenty, I don't feel that Radio Shack will be supporting the PRO-97 much longer. Looks like the 300 has a signal strength meter and railroad service search along with the full firmware ugrade.

FrankJ

I had a PRO-97 awhile back and, while it had great features, I wasn't to impressed by it's reception (not even close to my PRO-43). I wonder if the PSR-300 will have better sensitivity, dynamic range, and intermod rejecton over the PRO-97?

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.