396 versues 500 lcd display

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank125

hello trying to get peoples thought on this it seems to me that the 396 shows more and better info than the 500. i want to get the 500 but the 396 looks like it shows more and better info on the lcd. any thought on this thanks

KC9NEG

I think the 396 is hard to read. Low contrast and tall, skinny characters. I like the PSR-500 much better (based on photos, anyway). The alert LED is a nice feature, too.

Todd/Indy

kikito

Premium Subscriber
frank125 said:
hello trying to get peoples thought on this it seems to me that the 396 shows more and better info than the 500. i want to get the 500 but the 396 looks like it shows more and better info on the lcd. any thought on this thanks

From what I seen so far, it looks like they both show just about the same amount of info on the screen, especially while scanning. And then when you add many new features that the 500 has that the 396 doesn't, like temporary lockout, P25 NAC, more versatile memory management, virtually unlimited talkgroups and so on, it might be what makes the decision towards the 500.

troymail

Silent Key
I've only seen 1 line of ALPHA tagging text on the 500... The 396 gives you 2 lines - actually 3... one for the SYSTEM, one for the GROUP, and one for the TALK GROUP (the first two alternate).

I agree with frank....

Also, I just do not understand why when enabling banks/groups above 9 requires pushing FUNC and 0-9 rather than just pushing the actual digits like 11 or 12... TV remotes work like this -- push one digit and after a few seconds if you don't push anything else, it goes to that digits (channel).... push two or three digits without a long pause and it goes to a 2 digit or 3 digit channel... why can't these radios do the same thing? Even the 396 has a similar problem... but in the 396 case, to enable a *system* above 9, you need to hit . (period) and then the two digit quick key value for that system.... I don't get it. [sorry - I need to move this one to the other thread]

Last edited:

jehm1212

On page 98 of the PSR-500 manual, the "LCD Blink On/Off" options in the global settings seems to indicate some sort of alternating text display. Unfortunately, I could not find any other mention of it in the manual. Maybe it's some sort of unpublished feature?

NYG

If I remember correctly one of the lines alternates information on the 500. It appears to have all relevant info needed. But more importantly to me anyway is RF performance and sound. Something I find GRE does much better than uniden.

troymail

Silent Key
NYG said:
But more importantly to me anyway is RF performance and sound. Something I find GRE does much better than uniden.

If it works as well or better than the PRO-96, I completely concur.... possibly the only reason I'm thinking of getting one (to sit next to my 396)

Last edited:

proquist96

LCD color

The 396 blue is hard on the eyes (if its like my Sirius blue lcd) and i like regular proportioned characters with good contrast. The PSR full color spectrum LED on top and the separate display/button illumination settings i find very innovative.

Last edited:

nexus

I got my 396T today and I'm finding it very hard to view it with the display light on. I have a 246T too, and I'd much rather prefer that display over the 396. This blue crap has got to go.

bcd396towner

nexus said:
I got my 396T today and I'm finding it very hard to view it with the display light on. I have a 246T too, and I'd much rather prefer that display over the 396. This blue crap has got to go.

What are u talking about, I've had my 396 since march and it's awesome easy to program with ARC PRO, the display is great it's nice and clear. I don't know how u find it hard to view.

I have sanyo 2700 batterie's and a leather case so I don't ruin the nice case lol.

Im wondering if I should get a GRE PSR500 but people said it doesn't get WFM? I listen to FM Radio a lot on the 396.

If u guy's don't like ur 396 just buy a pro 96 or GRE radio u don't have to use it, why did u waist 500 on uniden then? I don't get it

I love the blue light nice and clear, u said very hard to read with light on? I don't get it the light make's it better. Just return it and get a refund

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Personally, I too like the blue background but can see where different people can and will have different opinions. The BC245 has a small green display, the 296 has an orange/amber display, and the 396 has a blue display... All seem fine but allowing me to choose would be even better!

Those of you who are having trouble with the blue display - have you tried adjusting the constrast on the Settings->Adjust Contrast menu?

A nice feature for future radios would be to allow the user to select from a couple of different background colors. I don't have one but I thought I recall reading somewhere that the 996 gives you a choice of two colors....

DonS

bcd396towner said:
What are u talking about, I've had my 396 since march and it's awesome easy to program with ARC PRO, the display is great it's nice and clear. I don't know how u find it hard to view.

I have sanyo 2700 batterie's and a leather case so I don't ruin the nice case lol.

Im wondering if I should get a GRE PSR500 but people said it doesn't get WFM? I listen to FM Radio a lot on the 396.

If u guy's don't like ur 396 just buy a pro 96 or GRE radio u don't have to use it, why did u waist 500 on uniden then? I don't get it

I love the blue light nice and clear, u said very hard to read with light on? I don't get it the light make's it better. Just return it and get a refund

Your keyboard is in need of replacement. The 'Y' and 'O' keys seem to be intermittent.

nexus

bcd396towner said:

I have Butel's ARC396PRO and I agree it is awesome and easy to program, and control via the control feature. As soon as I find one of my audio cables I'm going to connect it to the sound card and start recording audio. Anyhow FOR WHATEVER REASON, I am not adjusted to the BLUE color. The font isn't dark enough for me. It sort of washes out with the blue light. AND YES I PLAYED WITH THE CONTRAST. That was the very first thing I manipulated when I got the scanner.

I much prefer the display on my BC-246T. It's amber with black fonts and very clear to read. I agree with the other person by saying that he wishes the end user could select the color. BTW, I never said I didn't like the 396. I'm not getting rid of it. I'm going to attach a RH-96 to it and use it in the vehicle. I don't want a PRO-96, but I might buy a PSR-500 just to have one. BTW-W, I didn't pay 500 for this scanner. I paid $408 + 21.00 shipping total. I've had uniden/bearcat for over 20 years. I'm a dedicated and supporting owner/user, but that was MY OPINION on the BLUE display of the BCD396.

And no, the PCR-500 will not cover the FM Broadcast band, and does not do WFM.

nexus

There is a thread here now that has side by side pictures of the 396 and the new PSC-500.

I think those pictures speak for themselves. Just look at the ones with the 396 and the PSR-500 with the display lit up....

You can't hardly even read the information on the 396. The PSR-500 and honestly any radio that had an amber display would be much clear. There are two pictures there which proves I'm not the only person who has a hard time with the blue light. Even the camera can't get a good picture of it.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84361

MikeyC

You can't hardly even read the information on the 396. The PSR-500 and honestly any radio that had an amber display would be much clear. There are two pictures there which proves I'm not the only person who has a hard time with the blue light. Even the camera can't get a good picture of it.
That person needs a better digital camera ;)

Part of what you're seeing on the 396 in that picture is the camera catching the LCD scrolling of the "ID Scan" text in the middle and the alternating of the system name/bank name at the top. For me, the blue backlight of the 396 is highly legible (as is the green on the 996 and the orange on the BCT15). Of course, your mileage may vary.

pappy1

Looking at LEH's image of the udiden means GRE all the way for me.

There is not enough contrast for me to see without squinting my eyes and staring for awhile.

10-95

I really like the look and feel of the 396 , but it would be nice to have the NAC decode capability. Maybe Uniden will come up with some kind of firmware patch to allow NAC decode, if that's even possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.