Am I missing something in Barstow/High Desert???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed recently there is a lot of references to Cal Fire on the CHP website for incidents east/north east of Barstow. For example, a TC at I-40/A-Street shows CHP called Cal Fire for a response, but I thought that CommCenter handled all of the incidents in this area. Also, there is a TC on the screen right now at I-40 MM116 (way east toward Needles), that also references Cal Fire, but I didn't know CalFire had stations out there... I thought it was SBCoFD dispatched by CommCenter. Is it just a dispatcher typing in the wrong thing? Is CalFire the contracted agency for SBCo? I looked at the CalFire San Bernardino page on the internet( CAL FIRE Contacts ), but don't see any fire stations in that area, so I am confused. Hopefully someone who knows more can inform me. Should I be listening to CalFire freqs in that area, or just the CommCenter TRS/Conventional to pick up the FD/EMS traffic for the area?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

This is the only set of CalFire frqs I could locate in the Barstow area; while driving through town this week I will monitor for activity and report back.

WPHW861
CALIFORNIA, STATE OF
Control Points
3800 SIERRA WY
SAN BERNARDINO
Transmitter Address /Area of Operation
FLASH II RADIO SITE 8 KM N
BARSTOW, CA
34-58-13.9 N, 117-02-21.1 W
(5 miles n/of of downtown Barstow)

I have noticed recently there is a lot of references to Cal Fire on the CHP website for incidents east/north east of Barstow. For example, a TC at I-40/A-Street shows CHP called Cal Fire for a response, but I thought that CommCenter handled all of the incidents in this area. Also, there is a TC on the screen right now at I-40 MM116 (way east toward Needles), that also references Cal Fire, but I didn't know CalFire had stations out there... I thought it was SBCoFD dispatched by CommCenter. Is it just a dispatcher typing in the wrong thing? Is CalFire the contracted agency for SBCo? I looked at the CalFire San Bernardino page on the internet( CAL FIRE Contacts ), but don't see any fire stations in that area, so I am confused. Hopefully someone who knows more can inform me. Should I be listening to CalFire freqs in that area, or just the CommCenter TRS/Conventional to pick up the FD/EMS traffic for the area?

Thanks in advance.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Thanks.... Is it possible that San Bernardino COUNTY Fire is really CalFire as a contract provider? I know Riverside County Fire is CalFire, maybe SBCoFD is too, and the dispatcher just types "CalFire" instead of CommCenter??? Dunno, but I look forward to finding out.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Thanks.... Is it possible that San Bernardino COUNTY Fire is really CalFire as a contract provider? I know Riverside County Fire is CalFire, maybe SBCoFD is too, and the dispatcher just types "CalFire" instead of CommCenter??? Dunno, but I look forward to finding out.

No, CALFIRE no longer has the SBCo contract, and has not since 1994-1995. SBCo Fire is its own entity dispatched by SBCo Comm Center. It is possible that the CHP dispatcher is just typing CALFIRE (or whatever they are typing) as a generic "calling the fire department" note. I'm not sure, but I do know CALFIRE no longer has a presence out there.

Eng74

Cal Fire still has a couple of stations that respond with SBCoFD. I am not sure where they are at I try and remember to hear what station reponds with them.

djgrooven

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.602 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Eng74 said:
Cal Fire still has a couple of stations that respond with SBCoFD. I am not sure where they are at I try and remember to hear what station reponds with them.

I know they both mutual aid with each other past the Yermo and Newberrysprings area(I-15 & I-40), also around the Phelan & Lucerne area. As far as getting closer to Needles, I think that is SBCO fire. Don't think Calfire is out that far at all. Like what was quoted, it could be
just error when inputing it on the web.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin

CALFIRE's only desert stations that still exist are Phelan(10), Hesperia(5), Lucerne Valley (8), Yucca Valley (14). Hesperia is no longer on the facilities list, and Lucerne is showing "Closed", so I suspect that both of those stations have been closed. There are also two stations in the Owens Valley (Bishop and Independence).

Everything else in the desert areas went with SBCo Fire when the contract was dropped in 94-95. CALFIRE has NO presence north of the Victor Valley until Independence, and the entire Colorado River Battalion went to SBCo Fire.

Mick

151.325R/159.315 131.8 is an active repeater in Barstow. Will keep monitoring for calls being dispatched.

This is the only set of CalFire frqs I could locate in the Barstow area; while driving through town this week I will monitor for activity and report back.

WPHW861
CALIFORNIA, STATE OF
Control Points
3800 SIERRA WY
SAN BERNARDINO
Transmitter Address /Area of Operation
FLASH II RADIO SITE 8 KM N
BARSTOW, CA
34-58-13.9 N, 117-02-21.1 W
(5 miles n/of of downtown Barstow)

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
151.325R/159.315 131.8 is an active repeater in Barstow. Will keep monitoring for calls being dispatched.

Please post any updates you find. That repeater with that CTCSS tone is actually on Ord Mtn, which is located SE of Barstow and is the primary transmitter for the Lucerne Valley/Johnson Valley area (unless it was moved, which is not likely, due to the coverage areas mentioned above), so if you get any activity, let us know, thanks.

Also note unit identifiers you hear on that tower.

David

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
Does it possibly make sense that the calls on I-40 east of the I-15 are responded to by the CalFire Lucerne Station, going North on 247 from Lucerne Valley and then onto I-40? Seems like a long response, and that SBCoFD units would be closer... dunno? Hopefully someone knows someone who would have that info... Look forward to a definitive answer... it is puzzling...

blynn44

Premium Subscriber
The Newberry Springs, Yermo and Daggett fire departments have contracted with CALFIRE for dispatch services since July 2009. These are CSD's & are not part of SBCoFD.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
The Newberry Springs, Yermo and Daggett fire departments have contracted with CALFIRE for dispatch services since July 2009. These are CSD's & are not part of SBCoFD.

That makes sense, and would explain the radio traffic on Tone 3. A lot of the contract stuff has changed since I was down there.

Thanks blynn!!

djgrooven

Please post any updates you find. That repeater with that CTCSS tone is actually on Ord Mtn, which is located SE of Barstow and is the primary transmitter for the Lucerne Valley/Johnson Valley area (unless it was moved, which is not likely, due to the coverage areas mentioned above), so if you get any activity, let us know, thanks.

David

I also dont think that repeater is on Flash with that tone. I know that CALFIRE dispathes the Yermo, NewberrySprings, MCLB, & Dagget area and I believe they opererate on tone 6 on Local 2. The repeater location is unknown to me. Anybody can correct me if I am wrong. Just Listen for R386, ME401, ME402, & Dagget Volunteer FD

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I also dont think that repeater is on Flash with that tone. I know that CALFIRE dispathes the Yermo, NewberrySprings, MCLB, & Dagget area and I believe they opererate on tone 6 on Local 2. The repeater location is unknown to me. Anybody can correct me if I am wrong. Just Listen for R386, ME401, ME402, & Dagget Volunteer FD

Well, duh...I just did what I should have done days ago when this discussion started:

I am looking at the statewide radio plan... BDU Local 2, Tone 3 (131.8) is on Ord Peak, as I thought. BDU Local 2, Tone 6 (156.7) is on Government Peak in the Red Mountain area. There is nothing on Flash II, and the old repeaters on Clark and Spirit were removed years ago. Those are the only north desert repeaters in SBCo. Tone 2 is on Onyx, and is the primary for the east Desert (29Palms). Tone 4 is on Paxton in Yucca Valley, but it is pretty directional, because when it was originally set up, CDF had the county contract and needed coverage down into Morongo Valley and the Morongo Grade to Palm Springs, and Tone 4 was set up for that area.

Does that clear up the CALFIRE desert area debate?

Last edited:

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
That would explain it! I didn't know the volunteer departments out there were CalFire dispatched. I thought they were on 154.070. Thanks so much.. I think that was the piece of the puzzle needed to solve it. So, are they still on 154.07, or on CalFire freq?

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
That would explain it! I didn't know the volunteer departments out there were CalFire dispatched. I thought they were on 154.070. Thanks so much.. I think that was the piece of the puzzle needed to solve it. So, are they still on 154.07, or on CalFire freq?

If they're being dispatched by CALFIRE, they are "probably" on Local 2 (Local East).

djgrooven

154.070mhz(YELLOW) hasn't been used for for Dispatch for sometime now. After Desert Comm closed SBCO fire and CalFire took on the dispatching. Also that area now on local 2 was dispatched on gray(154.204mhz).
I have heard Yellow been used for fire tac use and for a backup dispatch when 2-fire-1 goes down.

Mick

I was able to hear the 151.325R 146.2 repeater up to Afton, CA along I-15, input 159.315 131.8 Hz. Very little traffic as I drove through.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.