New LASD South L.A. Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper1

Now that LASD Lennox Station has been replaced with the new South L.A. Station - are the dispatch and tac freqs that same as Lennox? I see that the RR database has not yet been updated with the South L.A. LASD info.

T1

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
This is the third name and third location for LASD's third substation.

It was originally opened in August 1926 at 10817 S Vermont, and known as "Vermont Substation," and coincided with the opening that month of additional substations at Temple, Norwalk, and Newhall. "Florence Avenue" (now Firestone) and "Belvedere" (East L.A.) had already been open for some time.

"Vermont Avenue Station" was replaced by the new Lennox Substation in May, 1948.

LASD had no radios when Vermont Substation opened, and didn't get them until 1933 when LASD began contracting with LAPD for dispatching (on 1712 kcs) at 15¢ per call. In 1937 the Sheriff's Department got their own experimental 2-way license on 37.10 mcs which was used only by Belvedere units, and in 1938 the FCC granted them a regular 2-way licese on 31.90 mcs which went countywide once they got enough TX sites built and cars equipped. Apparently LASD didn't go to their long-time home in the 39 MHz range until after WWII.

Last edited:

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Hi all,

I just updated the database with the South LA changes in Dispatch and L-Tac listings.

Unfortunately the info contained in RR is only as good as what members make it, so its appreciated verified updates be formally submitted as they become known.

Thanks!

jrholm

This is the third name and third location for LASD's third substation.

"Florence Avenue" (now Firestone) and "Belvedere" (East L.A.) had already been open for some time.

"Vermont Avenue Station" was replaced by the new Lennox Substation in May, 1948.

Great history lesson, however Firestone closed in the mid 90's and merged with Lynwood Station to become Century Station.

KMA367

Premium Subscriber
Great history lesson, however Firestone closed in the mid 90's and merged with Lynwood Station to become Century Station.
OK thanks. The northeast corner of my mind knew that, but I escaped L.A. in 1987 and haven't kept myself mentally up-to-date on a lot of SO MANY changes to so many agencies.

karldotcom

Harry...City of LA is pressing to take over Vernon. Too much $$$ for them to overlook it. Maybe the County DA and Mayor Villaraigosa will cut it down the middle (although Vernon has a very large amount of empty industrial space)

Status
Not open for further replies.